Problem after doing keto

(Rajesh Bangera) #1

Hello guys

I am facing a issue after doing keto. I am here for suggestions if anyone else faced a similar situation.
It started about 4 months back when a routine health check revealed that i have a grade 2 fatty liver.

I decided to do keto to lose weight and after doing some reasearch on the topic i started keto.
I felt good on keto and in two months on keto my weight was back to 65 kgs, at which point i decided to end it.
But problem begin as soon as i began a normal high carb diet. I started feeling terrible . i taught my liver is malfuntioning,

I started observing that whenever i eat fatty foods like fish, chicken or eggs those symptoms would reappear and if i completely avoid fats in all forms for a couple of days, gradually i start feeling better. Now since fats are important and my tiny attempt to reintroduce fats will bring back all symptoms and this i observed again and again.
I started reaserching to find why my body behaving like this to fats. But could find any answers.
Based on my own observation my theory is that humans consume carbs ,fats and protein, but still the body uses carbs for energy. But in my case bacause of keto , my body started using fat as energy source and it is continues even after coming back to normal high carb diet.
This preference for fat has caused my immunity to be effected and i think i also developed intestinal permeability.
Need to know if anyone heard anything like this or if anybody have any suggestion it might help .
Thank you.
RDB
India

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Fatty liver disease is caused by overloading the metabolic pathway in the liver that deals with ethanol and fructose. Fatty liver used to be seen only in alcoholics; it is part of the progression of liver disease that ultimately leads to cirrhosis and eventually death. However, fatty liver disease is now also found in children and adults who do not drink alcohol, but who consume the high amount of sugar recommended in the standard diet (one molecule of sucrose consists of one molecule of glucose bonded to one molecule of fructose).

The good news is that fatty liver can be quickly reversed by strictly limiting sugar and alcohol consumption to a rate that the liver can safely handle. Avoid all sugar-sweetened beverages and all fruit juices, since they provide far more fructose in a single glassful than the liver can deal with. Also avoid any product that includes sucrose or fructose in the list of ingredients (and be aware that sucrose is often disguised under such names as “agave nectar” or “evaporated cane juice”).

Experiments have shown that it is possible to reverse fatty liver disease in children by simply eliminating sugar from their diet, without regard to their total carbohydrate intake (naturally alcohol is not a factor when a child develops fatty liver disease). An adult who drinks would have to strictly limit alcohol along with sugar to achieve the same effect.

(Allie) #3

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is caused by carbs not by fat. Keto isn’t meant to be something you pick up and put down, it’s a lifestyle change and if you’d kept with it instead of going back eating the way that caused your issues to start with, then you wouldn’t be in the mess you’re in now.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I just finished watching an interview with Dr. Robert Lustig, and one of the topics covered was fatty liver disease, which is at the root of almost all of the modern chronic diseases. Dr. Lustig’s recommendations for dealing with liver fat: cut out all sweet drinks and greatly reduce alcohol consumption; exercise; and intermittent fasting. He says these are the easiest things to do and are things everyone can do on their own.

(Michael) #5

Your body continues to use and create glucose through gluconeogenesis while in Keto. Once your body is used to using ketones as well, a few cells will continue with glucose and the rest switch to ketones. If you run out of ketones, most cells start using glucose again. Leaky gut is caused by carbohydrate intake glycating and oxidizing particles which then damage your intestinal lining. While a bit surprising, I would not think eating fatty foods would now cause an issue. Could it be other foods you are eating at the same time and you are blaming the wrong food. Many people, including myself, tried eating only beef to cure intestinal permeability, and it worked for me.

Nothing “normal” about a high carb diet, there’s your first problem. By high carb diet, I think what you mean is the diet that made you do keto to lose weight in the first place? Also, you may want to define what “high carb” means to you.

If you’re eating crappy carbs why would you expect to feel good, while they’re not all bad, many are, and if you’re truly eating “high” carb, then ya, inflammation will make you feel like crap since you got used to living without that.

I eat a CKD/TKD hybrid and eat way more carbs than most people here, yet I still don’t eat “high carb” nor do I eat the amount of carbs “normal” people eat. Yet I eat plenty to keep muscle glycogen topped off and power my workouts with them. Beyond that, you might as well be eating candy and cake. You can use carbs for their positives, but that amount is limited and different for everybody.

Your immunity hasn’t been effected because you ate carbs and it’s beyond doubtful you developed leaky gut because of it, you’re being a hypochondriac. Your body NEVER loses the ability to use carbs as fuel.

How many carbs are you eating daily on average, and if you drastically changed from keto to a true high carb diet, you SHOULD expect some pushback no different than any drastic dietary chance.

(Alec) #7

Well, there’s your problem… your body has learnt to work properly, you will have calmed down your inflammation on keto, and now you’ve introduced all the inflammatory foods again.

Don’t blame keto for what the carbs are doing.

(Chuck) #8

My doctor told me when I was thinking about the keto, low carb lifestyle that if I decided to start the diet that I must commit to it for the rest of my life. His explanation was simple if I was going to do keto to become healthier then why destroy my health by going back to high carbs.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

That’s why we often call keto a “way of eating” rather than a diet, because “diet” has connotations of something short-term.

Try to think of this way of eating as being part of your daily routine, such as showering. If we stop cleaning ourselves, we quickly lose the benefits. Keto is the same way.