Pressure cooker help

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1

I edited the title of this post because the topic changed from cooking chicken to using a pressure cooker. Thought it might help if someone searched for the topic in the future.

I am new to cooking meat, so I have some rookie questions. I just cooked whole leg chicken thighs in my pressure cooker, unseasoned because the plan is to shred it and use the bones for broth. My question is about the schmaltz. Seems like if I let the water cool I can scoop that off the top. True? Is that amount worth keeping? Any suggestions for next time? Maybe I should use the fat for frying he skins…

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2

Ok, duh… use the fatty water in the bone broth.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

If you cool the liquid and the schmaltz separates, you can basically use it like you would use butter.

If you add it to the stock/broth, it will likely separate when cooled, but when heated will form a layer of liquid globules on the surface. Generally not desirable in a service environment, but keto makes odd ducks who go for that kinda thing.

Also, good for you as a new cook going for this. You should get a lot of mileage out of your P-cooker, especially as soup/stew season descends on the northern hemisphere.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #4

I’m sub-tropical, but still enjoy a good stew in the winter as we don’t have indoor heating.

I’ve considered getting an instapot… but the Chinese ones are ,strangely, all in Chinese. I can read characters, but unfamiliar subjects are much harder. I’m sure it would be good for me to learn how to use it. I should invite a friend over for intapot reading lessons.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

If you have a traditional P-cooker, you already have a superior tool to an instant pot. The trick to make it better isn’t to get an instant pot, it’s to get an induction burner. They are not as expensive as e-pressure cookers, and give you almost the same control.

I have an instant pot, that I do love. But I had a traditional P-cooker before that made me nervous. I should have gotten induction for it. The reason is electric p-cookers only go up to 12 bars of pressure, while yours goes to 15. That works to a higher temp inside, which works to faster cooking. Also better searing and sauté as you can put yours on th burner. The induction burner gives you better temp control, which would make it less fiddly.

That’s probably way more than you wanted. Sorry.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #6

Definitely not more than I wanted! Can you come over to teach me! I’m sure the travel time would be less than a day!

I have a gas stove, which I love. But I am always unsure of temperature control. Would this be better? I’ve never figured out all the settings on it, but last time I used it I was more interested in survival than cooking. So I’m willing to put the work in now.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

Perfect. I don’t read the Chinese, but I do have a tutorial.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/7-dos-donts-of-pressure-cooking-with-induction/

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

Nice! Thank you for your help! I’m going ahead with the gas stove for tonight. But I’ll study up for next time.

Same boat and much harder when I lived in China, but when I recently visited I found the Google Translate app to be magic. Simply go to camera view, point it at characters I didn’t recognize and it would translate before my eyes. :alien::interrobang: Very sci fi. You just need a good VPN to get Google Translate working of course.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #10

I haven’t tried google translate but I do have a good vpn, so I will definitely do that! It is a paid feature on Pleco dictionary, but I haven’t forked over the cash. Go to know the google option!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #11

Ok, I downloaded google translate app and it worked, though it had trouble with the shiny surface. Everything was what I thought it was. I think the burner is a little too user friendly. Made for a Chinese person… boil water, stir fry, zhou, hot pot… why would you need any other settings? I guess I’ll just use the “intelligent” setting and hope it’s self confidence is not misplaced.

That’s awesome! :+1:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

I have a feeling this is going to gell up nice!