Preparing for physical - would like the best references

(John) #1

Physical with full blood panel and NMR lipid test scheduled for next Thursday. I’ve been doing Keto for almost 2 months now. Feel great. Lots of energy, lost 22 lbs, cut out alcohol almost completely (my earlier posts were dealing with how to incorporate craft beer but after feeling this good, I don’t NEED craft beer! - which is wild, but anyway)…

I have full access to pub med with free articles for where I work. I’ll briefly say I’m a scientist/biochemist by training, now I’m more into the science/business aspect. Regardless, I can understand some studies. My concern is that when I go on a pubmed search, I find a lot of wishy washy style articles. Once will directly say small dense LDL is the devil and another will say that it’s just as important as general LDL levels (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22539783 page 177 bottom - “The present results indicate that LDL lipoprotein particle measurements provide little additional predictive value over traditional measures for occlusive vascular events in a high-risk population.”).

I’m hearing the Dudes and Jimmy interview all these docs who seem so certain that saturated fat is just fine and that NMR lipid analysis will save the day but I like to prepare and I’m concerned my doctor will laugh me out of the room with a “and I thought you had a Ph.D.?”

I’m having trouble finding the best references to support the following statements: can anyone help fill in the blanks?

Saturated Fat is just fine - I see it in mainstream book references but are there any studies that support our 80% fat intake? The recent Lancet paper with the PURE study seems to include fat % of about 45%. Certainly that paper calls for revisions of dietary concepts but Keto is about twice what they are looking at for fat intake.

small dense LDL levels are all that matters - Is Hoogeveen et. al. the best for this? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24558110 People say this so confidently and I’d like to have the support in my hand just in case my doc isn’t aware.

As I said, I just are terrified of leaving the doctors office with her making one hell of a case against why I’m an idiot for doing this. Now, I get it. Dr. Westman is running a clinic on this stuff out of Duke, so it can’t be that idiotic. But still, I’m concerned and don’t want to hear my doc strongly advise me against doing this b/c I feel too amazing.

I’m probably worrying about nothing but I like to prepare.

Any links to articles that might be the strongest to support the above two concepts would be greatly appreciated. I’ve searched and searched and listened and listened to shows/lectures and I feel like there’s a “but” or “however” associated with everything good I find.

Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Check out the work by Phinney and Volek, which should be helpful. Also, if you can get access to Good Calories, Bad Calories (Taubes) and Big Fat Surprise (Teicholz), they both contain a lot of references to useful studies.

What you will run into, as well, is a number of studies that contain conclusions directly contradicted by their data, since the cognitive dissonance of admitting that the diet-heart hypothesis is unsupported by any evidence is too hard for most people to acknowledge. For example, Keys et al. suppressed the Minnesota Heart Study for sixteen years, because it failed to support their hypothesis, and when they finally did publish, it was in an obscure journal that few people read.

(John) #3

Yeah, I agree. Both books are on my to read list. Will check out P and V!

Thanks.