Prednisone and weight loss

(May-Britt Scheffer) #1

Hi!

I’ve been keto bout 9 months and have crohns disease.
I quit medications about four months in because I felt so good, but I was a bit too positive i guess. But I really want to be medication free. I ended up with a flare up in december and had to go on prednisone. When I was finally tapered off of it two months later I was hospitalized again. So prednisone got started up again and I can now taper down again.

I was doing very well weight loss wise before prednisone and now I am fighting not to gain weight.
I am even trying a more carnivore keto right now, because I really want to loose more weight! (Next to feeling good an trying to get healthy of course) It’s very frustrating not to be able to loose weight because of these stupid drugs!
I really hate the effect of the drug on my mind and cravings. It’s very annoying.

Is there anyone with tips on this diet while on prednisone?
Is there anything I should do or NOT do.
Can I avoid getting more insulin resistant because of the drug?
Anything you can tell me!
Tnx!

(Melora) #2

Check out the thread “prednisone is evil” under the category newbies, subcategory tips from oldies. I’m sorry about your frustration. Unfortunately, as you already know, steroids are good and evil and avoiding wt. gain is very difficult.

(May-Britt Scheffer) #3

Oh awesome imma check it out! Yes. So frustrating that it is a necessary evil and there is almost nothing to do against the effects :disappointed:. But thanks for the tip about the topic!

(Melora) #4

You’re welcome, I wish I could be more helpful.

(Carl Keller) #5

Prednisone is synthetic cortisol and cortisol is the stress hormone. Stress triggers a flight or fight response in our bodies and keeps blood glucose levels elevated so we can respond to a perceived emergency.

Among all medications available to treat different medical conditions, prednisone and similar steroids have the most profound effect on glucose metabolism. Medications such as prednisone can significantly increase glucose levels in patients with diabetes as well as individuals with impaired glucose tolerance or pre-diabetes,” says William Sullivan, M.D., a senior staff physician at Joslin Clinic in Boston and the Medical Director at the Joslin Clinic at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, Needham.

http://blog.joslin.org/2014/02/how-prednisone-affects-blood-sugar/

(Carl Keller) #6

Novel Diet Therapy isn’t quite keto but its focus is similar (remove inflammatory foods for your diet) and offers some hope that drugs are not the only way to treat Cronh’s.

(Dan Black) #7

Thank you very much for sharing useful information. I am planning to start a Prednisone diet too, and I have found a lot of interesting stuff here. I am interested in how effective it actually is. I have already lost a lot of weight using steroids that I have read about on https://jbhnews.com/best-steroid-to-lose-belly-fat-easy-for-beginners/23699/ . This is a really good stuff, thanks to that substances I have lost a lot of weight really easy and I had no side effects at all. However, now I am thinking about trying something new, and prednisone looks pretty interesting.