Powerlifters or Olympic Weightlifters on Keto, LC or ZC?

(Connie) #1

I am really interested to know if there are any current elite level athlete’s who do Keto. You know Powerlifters or Olympic Weightlifters. And I mean those who compete in these sports on a National or International level.

I have lost weight on Keto in the past, while doing crossfit and was able to gain some strength. However, I now realize that some of that strength might have been attributed to “newbie gains”. I have been training regularly now for the past few years, so gains don’t come as easy anymore. I am getting ready to compete in my first national level competition and I am afraid if I go back to Keto, LC or ZC that my strength will disappear.

I actually only started hitting PR’s again after adding white rice back into my diet, so I am a bit scared to go back to losing weight on Keto (which I know works for me) while trying to build strength.

I had read that the ZC Carnivore diet, might be a good fit, but not sure how strength and energy would be affected?

(Justin Jordan) #2

Mark Bell (who isn’t competing anymore to the best of my knowledge, but was in the hunt for a 600 raw bench last year) is a big keto guy.

(Connie) #3

Yea, I follow Mark Bell, he has mentioned on several occasions the loss of strength.

(Justin Jordan) #4

Yeah, but he also dropped like 50 pounds when he did it. I don’t think there’s anything inherent to keto that would make you lose one rep max strength, assuming weight was maintained.

I believe Brian Carroll and Jesse Burdick used it while actively competing.

(Justin Jordan) #5

Actually, let me amend that - and this would apply much more to powerlifters than weightlifters - the glycogen depletion could lead to your leverages changing in a way that would affect your max strength.

(Connie) #6

I am trying to drop weight, while at least maintaining or increasing strength. That’s really why I ask. I don’t plan on dropping a bunch of weight. Maybe 5 kilos at the most in the next month is the goal. :slight_smile:

(Jennifer) #7

I read this awhile ago about Keith Harmon. It goes into powerlifting and fasting, but doesn’t really talk about the foods he ate when feasting. It’s a good read.

https://idmprogram.com/keith-harmon/