Posting on here to keep myself from eating sugar

conversationstarters

(Sue) #1

Hi everyone,

I am in the office and they had bagels and cheese cake and various assorted baked goods brought in this morning for some celebration. I managed to stay off of it till now, but right now I feel like the food is calling my name! Someone heated up a muffin and it smells absolutely heavenly. I have at least 3 more hours of work before I can call it a day. I know that if I slip now I will end up bingeing all weekend long (long time sufferer of BED). Friday afternoon/evenings is when I’d normally start so this is an especially difficult time.

I know that once the ketosis truly kicks in most people have no cravings at all. But I have been on a high-sugar binge-eating type lifestyle for so long that I think my brain is broken. It is going to take me a long while to heal. I mean, I had a great lunch of kale with olive oil and 8 oz pan seared salmon and I am not even hungry. In fact I am quite full. But that bloody muffin!

Well, anyways, thanks for reading if you made it this far :). If anyone can share tips on how they deal with temptations and cravings, I’d be grateful.

Cheers!

Go eat some cheese.

Edit: sorry I see on another thread that you’re avoiding dairy. Do you have any meat around to eat, like jerky or pepperoni?

(Sue) #3

aaaaaa, cheese is my kryptonite! Has anyone tried Keto without dairy?

(Sue) #4

Nope, no meat around. i am truly not hungry, just tempted by the sugary soft muffins :sob:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Stuff tissue balls in your nose so you don’t have to smell them!:grin: Just kidding!

So you’re going to be living in the real world with all it’s evil temptations for the rest of your life! But it will get easier that I promise. You need to keep some snacks at work for such occasions when you’re not feeling as strong as you are now. I have heard of ladies who carry a bag of cooked bacon in their purse!

:bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::cowboy_hat_face:

(Sue) #6

Yep, i am just about beginning to accept that I am going to have to fight temptation all my life. I get so jealous of people who don’t have to deal with that and can go through life without having to deal with anything like this.

(Shanda) #7

I am new so I have no words of advice I’m sorry. I can only offer cyber hugs and support. You’ve got this! I feel your pain. Fridays my company provides “breakfast” usually in the form of carb loaded biscuits or donuts or whatever. Today it was breakfast burritos from taco bell. As hard as it is to say no thank you when offered a carb loaded snack, the look of sheer confusion on their face almost makes it worth it lol.

(Cindy) #8

My first week, I actually used bacon as a sugar substitute. As in, for years, I rarely ate bacon, cause, you know, high fat. So when I gave up my sweet tea, I “allowed” myself as much bacon as I wanted. Whenever the craving would hit particularly strong, I’d get a 1/2 slice of bacon out.

@Sue_2018, I know that won’t necessarily help you in this moment (I doubt you have bacon stashed at your desk), but for future times like this, it would help to have something else to “treat” yourself with. Whether that’s a few nuts, or a bit of jerky, or whatever…find something that is keto but that is a new pleasure for you. Even if it’s a bag of pork rinds or something.

For right now, treat those muffins and bagels like the enemy. Instead of telling yourself that it smells heavenly, tell yourself that you’re smelling the artificial additives, the yucky preservatives, etc. Picture eating a muffin and being taken to the hospital in a diabetic coma. Or picture yourself at the end of a binge weekend feeling miserable, bloated, etc.

Also, get absorbed in your work. If you have to, give yourself deadlines. You’ll reconsider your decision to NOT eat a muffin in 30 minutes. Then, put the temptation aside. Tell yourself that, in 30 min, if you HAVE to have that muffin, you’ll eat it. But when the 30 minutes is up, ask yourself the question again…and continue to postpone eating the muffin.

Get out of the office for a short walk break. You can resist. You are stronger than you know!

(Sue) #10

Thank you so much. Cyber hugging you back!

(Sue) #11

Thanks a TONNE for this. Just sitting here reading this is giving me so much hope!

I think you are right. I am going to have to find my new treat. Though i can binge on anything. ANYTHING. lol. so it is going to take some diligence before I can land on something that won’t be a problem for me.

(Cindy) #12

I’ve been pushing pickles lately. :smiley: Just ask @Shanda. LOL But they’re good for your electrolytes and they’re difficult to binge eat!

(Kay) #13

Can you maybe have a hot drink, I find a warm drink much more satisfying for some reason. Good luck resisting (as a fellow BED sufferer I can totally empathise with your situation)

(Shanda) #14

OMG the pickles! :cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber:
I had one this morning after turning down the burrito :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

Imagine it’s a scented candle that you could eat but it would be poisonous. :smiley:

Tell yourself it’s decoration for real food with the nutritional value of a dollar pack of Ramen noodles.

Put another odor in your nose.

Imagine you ate the muffin, how do you feel now?

Hang in there!

(Sue) #16

Thanks Kay. I have been sipping on some hot green tea. I’d love to connect and hear about your recovery from BED.

(Sue) #17

Great idea :smiley: I have hand lotion at my desk. I applied it on my hands and started smelling it.
The things we have to do!

You are so right about the nutrition value. It’s absolute crap and u should never offer it to anyone u cared for!

(Willow) #18

I know your feeling I recently had a family gathering where there was cheese cake. I love cheesecake. I stopped myself from eating it. My little nephew was sitting on my lap eating his and I had to hold back. I did it! I have been addicted to sugar for ever since I started drinking soda at like 7 years old. But I stopped myself. You have to tell yourself you don’t need it, because you don’t. Think about what it does to you! You made the first step to stop eating sugar; that muffin is evil! Stay strong listen to a motivational song, or go on a quick walk, or drink water. I sit at a desk all day too and believe me sometimes I think I am hungry when really I am just bored or thirsty. :brain: don’t listen to the addicted part of your brain !!! Keep up the good work!

(Sue) #19

TThanks so much for sharing this @ZombiePagan89. I think it is incidents like that where u know u succeeded over your addiction that slowly build up your resilience and belief in yourself. It’s also refreshing to hear people that speak about sugar addiction plainly. IRL I am surrounded by people who get defensive around me when I use that word and believe that u need to use will power

As a general update I survived last night. Came back home and ate chicken curried with coconut milk and tomato with a side of avocado. I am so grateful to everyone that kept my mind occupied last evening! Thanks a bundle!

(Shanda) #20

Great job @Sue_2018.
My son went to a birthday party last night. Staring me in the face was my absolute favorite pre-keto indulgence. Chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing. The temptation was real. But, I thought of you and your struggles at the office yesterday. Knowing the strength you showed by not giving in truly made saying no thank you so much easier. This community is a team helping each other every step and stumble along the way. Thanks for being my inspiration past this hurdle.