Post 5 day fast slipped from Keto to low carb diet

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #1

I reviewed my macros for the week and then my diet choices and found that my carbs while not exceeding 50g net were consistently falling outside the 20-25g limit.

Protein has been good and in the 20-25-30 range but carbs have eaten into the overall fat.

I am also getting sick of bacon, eggs, cheeses (to some degree) and coconut oil… like queasy when I eat them.

Going on a 48-72hr fast to reset and try again.

(Rob) #2

First of all, that’s far from a carb-tastrophe so don’t sweat it too much. However, from your tracking you should work out what has done it. A specific food, a specific type of food, or a bit random over the week. Use that to work out WHY this happened so you can develop a strategy to avoid this in the future. Remember, keto is a voyage of discovery, not only about the WoE but ALSO about yourself.

Go for it, but this isn’t a substitute for working out why you consistently over-carbed

I am lucky - in 6 months I can still eat my favorite all-day breakfast literally every day! :yum:
If you would like to try to continue this for convenience, cost, etc. you could:

1. Try to vary the cooking method/result for these ingredients e.g. make them more crispy/well done or less vs. how you do it today. Also maybe change the coconut oil for the bacon fat to get a different flavor
  2. Add or change a keto sauce for this meal that would make it more interesting (as I never tire of telling people, I do a homemade buffalo sauce - hot sauce and butter)
  3. Add things like pickled cucumbers, olives, etc. to eat with each mouthful of the “#boring” foods - changes taste, texture/mouth feel a lot.
  4. Change one part e.g. the cheese - I got into fryable cheese (Halloumi, Panela, Fresco, etc.) which is very different. If you already do this, switch back to cold cheese, or soft cheese - I love Philadelphia with my bacon!! :yum::yum:

OR - just bin it for a while and make another keto go-to meal that you can easily repeat and/or pre-prepare e.g. bulk cook skin-on chicken thighs, low carb sausages, etc. and batches of keto veggies like cauliflower mash, boiled cabbage, etc. All these reheat in a microwave acceptably, or regular grill or even a pan!

Good luck with keeping it simple to keep it on the rails but also consider stepping into the world of the infinite keto recipes out there if that will keep help you succeed. It seems all too much for me but I am a man of simple tastes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Karen) #3

Sometimes I forget the other yummy keto foods. An antipasto meal. Chinese chicken with keto veg., and cauliflower rice. Put a bit more spice in your meals. Check out recipes and

K

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #4

Back on track at the end of a 48 hr fast (still chasing Autophagy and will be for some time to come… a lot of things I am hoping will improve including Plantar Faciitis).

I kept it to 20 net grams of carbs and protein to under 20% so I just need to keep the meal to become a trend again.

However I do need to look at my meal planning and prep. My main source of fats is currently thickened cream mixed into a pudding type consistency. Sure I eat eggs and lots of butter with whatever I cook but I’ve found myself falling back on cream over and over again.

Also butter, bacon etc is just not feeling good when I eat it, but the 2 day break away from food helped.

Unless someone is testing their ketones, then they don’t know whether a fixed amount of carbs will get them into ketosis or not.

Some people stay comfortably in ketosis at 50g carbs a day, and some people can be on ketosis at 80-100g carbs.

Then you get a few other poor sods who need to be under 10g carbs to get there.

So really, don’t sweat your few days, and keep checking to find your own happy place. :slightly_smiling_face:

(As you can tell, i think the idea that 20g carbs = keto is a bit misleading)

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #6

To be honest so do I however the 20g rule is a solid rule of thumb for most people as far as I can understand.

And that said I am experiencing early Keto flu symptoms so it looks like I am headed in the right direction and shouldn’t take more than a few days to get back in ketosis.

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #7

Bugger it’s a struggle to get back to that carb limit… practice makes perfect again.

(Rob) #8

As many are now finding thanks to Dr Bikman (many references across the KF) don’t worry too much about protein. If you need to eat more to be full, avoid carbs, carry enough fat, etc. do it. Especially when starting. When you are experienced an adapted, you’ll more easily be able to tweak things to optimize.

Autophagy is great and can do a lot but AFAIK (I get it a bit), PF is largely from weakness in the calves so exercising those will probably do you more good quickly and won’t rely on weight loss (though it can’t hurt) or even lower inflammation.