Possible relationship between covid-19 and blood sugar

(charlie3) #1

Apparently the scientists are getting a better handle on the virus. It can make a lot of mischief and yet another reason to reduce carbs.

('Jackie P') #2

I was reading this.

(charlie3) #3

Will there come a time when there are a bunch of people who were infected and recovered and now canā€™t be spreaders. Wouldnā€™t they be quite employable after that? Iā€™ve heard there might be an antigen test somewhere, which means a test that shows if you were infected in the past but no longer a spreader. The businesses that are getting hurt are overwhelming the ones involving recreation and leisure. The people who provide necessities are still at work.

i donā€™t get the focus on test results. They tell us the positives without disclosing the negatives. What really matters is the number who are hospitialized.

Iā€™m listening to the mayor of NY describing what the city will be doing to create more hospital beds, Wuhan style.

I live next to a small commercial strip with bars and restaurants and they are closed this evening, so peaceful, looking forward to more restful sleep.

This is a war. Usually war is a time for action but this time the best way to help isā€“do nothing.

(Bunny) #4

Was listening to Dr. Boz and she says that we are all going to get it eventually no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

The only reason they are placing restrictions on too many people congregating in one place or asking people not to is so everyone does not get sick at once to save medical resources for those who are sick.

I take that to mean you can run but you canā€™t hide!

(Karen) #5

Quite correct. I am over 60 and staying in my home. When I come out again as the first peak goes through I will likely catch it. My hopes are I can stay out of the bed that might be needed for someone else at a hospital. I have junk lungs. So when I get it I will probably need some help. Iā€™m going to put it off as long as I can.

(charlie3) #6

She speculates but it will be hard for most people to avoid in the long run. Some of us might beat it. Iā€™m in retirement mode, live alone, self sufficient. I donā€™t patronize the businesses that have been closed. There is a Manhatten sized project to treat or prevent the illness. Months from now more will be known and may be it will be a better time for the geezers like me (71) to get infected.

(Bunny) #7

If our ingenious peeps down at NIH develop a vaccine fast enough you may not have to worry about it because you will be immune to it in addition to the ketogenic diet protecting your immune system and lungs that you will be able to eat the virus for dinner.

I mean they were feeding the ketogenically fat adapted mice lethal doses of viruses through their nose and they were bulletproof proof against it.

Just feeding the mice ketones did no good they just died, it was the fact they were ketogenically fat adapted over a period of time.

(charlie3) #8

Iā€™m not as confident as you that low carb is so powerful. I think being healthy as possible might help. Over time they might find an anti viral that helps with infection, they might find a vaccine that works but usually those seem to be 50/50. I got a flu shot recently, mulling over the pneumonia shot but hesitate to be in public for that purpose. What I figure, if Iā€™m in the house infection is impossible.

I followed an information trail from a slightly more respected (than mainstream) media source looking for more information about the COVID19 infection and hyperinsulinemia due to prolonged, elevated blood glucose, with one root cause being a high carbohydrate diet.

The article linked to a ā€˜respected sourceā€™ and a safely worded, but not very useful, expert advice article.

The gist is monitor blood glucose, make sure you have enough blood test monitoring strips, make sure you have enough medication (in the context of the article) it means blood glucose lowering medication*, and make sure you have enough food.

*This opens up a pharmaceutical path of investigation for non-insulin dependent diabetics and prediabetics (high HbA1C) and the use of metformin to gain more steady blood glucose control, if eating a standard high carb diet. Whereas ketogenic eaters are lowering blood glucose and blood glucose spikes with food choices.

When I have been shopping I note that the food items in low supply are: pasta, rice, sugar, flour and processed canned foods (many with added sugar). These are food shelves I would normally not look at when shopping, they are slightly more interesting being empty. They signify the food choices of the nation heading toward self enforced social distancing and staying at home. I canā€™t help thinking that a majority of people have made the wrong food choices.

There are, however, a few extra precautionary measures those with diabetes can take, according to the IDF. First and foremost, itā€™s important to pay close attention to your blood glucose levelsā€”according to the IDF, any type of infection can raise blood sugar levels and increase your need for water, so itā€™s wise to have a sufficient supply. Those with diabetes should also make sure they have enough medication and testing supplies to last them for at least a month, in case of a quarantine or isolation situation. The same goes for a supply of food, and the ability to correct a drop in blood glucose quickly. Outside support is also essential, per the IDF, which recommends that those around you are aware of your condition and that you may require assistance if you become ill.

(charlie3) #10

For the first time in months Iā€™m cautiously reducing low heart rate training time to see if itā€™s past time for a break and I didnā€™t notice. My diet and exercise tries to be inspired partly by historical life style and by science Iā€™ve decided to trust. I live alone in retirement mode with nothing better to do than eat good food, train in moderation, and rest. It bothers me when they sumarize 70-80 year olds all together at some risk factor. Hey weight a minute, I live to be fit and healthy. Over 2 years I lost weight, added muscle, normalized biomarkers. Does any of that count? Health authorities are always stressing healthy eating and exercise but show zero interest when itā€™s life or death, like right now.

When this is over I wonder if there will be a spike in interest in healthy living.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Of course it counts Charlie, but theyā€™re looking at people as a age group and you are an exception to the norm. It holds true for a majority of people in those age groups. Itā€™s not a rule just a percentage estimate for lethality of infections. Iā€™d say youā€™re going to likely be in the larger percentage that would fight it off and survive. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Corona Virus isnā€™t the measles or something you get once and are immune. Apparently the antibodies donā€™t last long for many people and relapse or reinfection is possible, like a cold which it is closer to than the flu. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #13

Being ketogenically fat adapted is supposed to improve immune (anti-bodies ect.) function but how?

Iā€™m sitting here wondering if the thymus gland gets bigger because of ketogenic fat adaption as result of lowered testosterone[6], thatā€™s where T-cells are matured after leaving the bone marrow[1].

If Iā€™m correct then a person who is fat adapted irregardless of age would have the thymus gland of a 20 year old (or maybe even a baby?) if testosterone is lowered or blocked from something like fasting or calorie restriction[6]?

Just meaningless Bunny ramblings!

References:

[1] ā€œā€¦Lymphoid progenitors which have developed from hematopoietic stem cells in the bone marrow migrate to the thymus to complete their antigen-independent maturation into functional T cells. In the thymus, T cells develop their specific T cell markers, including TCR, CD3, CD4 or CD8, and CD2. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

[2] ā€œā€¦A Monash University researcher has discovered how to rewind the bodyā€™s immune system back to its youth and re-educate it. Their technique actually re-grows the Thymus gland - the human organ that produces a vital part of the immune system called ā€˜T Cellsā€™ - so our bodies can prevent and fight off disease. In children, the thymus is about the size of an orange. But once our immune system is set up properly around puberty, the Thymus shuts down and shrinks to the size of a pea. The Melbourne team has discovered how to stimulate the Thymus gland so it grows back to full size and starts producing T-Cells again. Theyā€™ve proved it works in mice, and now trials are underway in cancer patients undergoing bone marrow patients. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

[3] ā€œā€¦The sex hormones that flood the body at puberty actually cause the thymus to shrink, which gave Richard his great idea. If he could block these hormones he should be able to get the thymus to grow back and again start pumping out the large number of T cells it once did. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

[4] ā€œā€¦A testosterone-blocker is injected under his skin. The drug will stay in his system for several months and hopefully allow his thymus to grow and produce more T cells so he can get through his low immunity period. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

[5] ā€œā€¦How I Increased My Testosterone by 290% without hormone therapy or sport supplementation. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

[6] ā€ā€¦Calorie restriction lowers testosterone, except during healthy weight loss. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

Thymus, the Missing Link in Viral Protection

I think, while people are still not infectious, it is an appropriate time to gather around the wise elders in the community and gather their stories and teachings. The act would have mutual benefit and is subject to all the social distancing rules and self quarantine, if not feeling well with cold symptoms.

(Ethan) #15

Being ketogenic doesnā€™t make you immune to viruses. Iā€™ve been keto for nearly 3 years and carnivore for 1. This past winter, Iā€™ve been sick with viruses at least 6 timesā€¦one may have been COVID, but no way to know right now

immunityā€¦ hmmm, nup, not going to follow that word in relation to diets and supplements

The key point is not the virus infection but the modulation of the inflammatory response. The bodyā€™s response to the virus is where the severe symptoms and consequences occur.

Good to know a base keto diet helped you through half a dozen infections. That is a whole lot of immunity gathered through natural infection.

The following paper is interesting regarding acetone(ketone).

Fixation of SARS-CoV-infected Vero E6 cells with a fixative including formalin, glutaraldehyde, methanol and acetone for 5 min or longer eliminated all infectivity.

I doubt (carb) addicts would listen if science was available in support of eating less carbs because addicts tend to play mind games and twist what actually has been said. I just recommend a lichen based Vitamin D supplement and eating food with Vitamin A and quercetin such as raw carrot(s) (juice) to eliminate viruses. This has worked for me and I havenā€™t been sick once since 2009.

Antiviral activity of an analog of luteolin. Since quercetin, which is structurally related to luteolin, is an ingredient of antioxidant and antiallergy medicines that had been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA; the national drug code numbers of the medicines are 65448-3085, 65448-3005), we sought to determine whether quercetin could also antagonize SARS-CoV entry. Assays with the HIV-luc/SARS pseudotyped virus showed that quercetin also had antiviral activity against HIV-luc/SARS, with an EC50 of 83.4 Ī¼M (Fig. 3).

(Ethan) #18

Be very careful. Defanging a virus by a bath of 100% acetone is not at all the same as having ketones in the bloodā€¦

Thanks @anon81060937. Some good information there. Lots of people at higher latitudes in the northern hemisphere winter time are vitamin D deficient, especially if their diet is not optimal. It is good to get some Vitamin D, if people find themselves in that place and deficient.

Hereā€™s the butā€¦

But we have to understand that the corona virus does infect the lining cells in the lungs in a different way than previous respiratory infections. The two exceptions being SARS and MERS that are both also coronaviruses. This corona virus is different to the flu in the important point of how the virus gets into cells.

The virus protein ā€™armā€™ attaches to a cell surface protein receptor called an ACE-2.

Vitamin D supplementation in a non deficient state may increase ACE-2 expression on the cell wall potentially allowing more virus in to the respiratory lining cells.

But, like all pathophysiology and biology, things get complex with multiple inputs and feedbacks.

Because Vitamin D is important in adequate amounts once a patient is infected and showing clinical signs in regulating the immune system response to the infection.

So the way Iā€™ve pieced it together, for what itā€™s worth as a non-expert opinion, is that it is all about timing.

• If you know you are Vitamin D deficient after a long winter at a latitude that does not get much sunshine, then supplement Vitamin D (see video below by UK doctor)
  • If you are not Vitamin D deficient, then supplementing Vitamin D before getting the first clinical signs might be detrimental, as it has potential to increase viral penetration into cells
  • Continue to eat an optimal whole foods, highly nutritious diet, containing bioavailable micronutrients, and healthy fats - in amounts and in quality sources. Iā€™m staying whole foods Keto through this.
  • But once you get infected and over the first fever start Vitamin D supplementation as part of your recovery regimen (this may include time in the sunshine, if available)

Iā€™d be interested to know what others think, or if Iā€™m wrong. Feedback, please.

Are there stats on infection impact based on latitude and seasons?

Youā€™re the only one who came to that insane conclusion from reading the paper I posted. What youā€™re doing is called slander.