Possible cause for MS discovered

(G. Andrew Duthie) #1

Not directly related to Keto, except for some speculation on my part. Given the close tie to mitochondria that is reported in the article, one has to wonder whether (given that eating a standard high-carb diet isn’t particularly good for mitochondria) eating Keto might help prevent the formation of the protein in question.

No real basis for this other than the connection with mitochondria, but I wonder if anyone else has seen research into Keto and M.S.?

I think Dr Terry Wahls would agree with you. It’s her theory anyway…how she got her health turned around…from being wheelchair-bound with MS and now walking and biking.

(Keto in Katy) #3

She has some videos on YouTube, and I think a book called The Wahls Protocol. Definitely worth looking up her story for those who are interested in learning how she reversed (cured?) MS.

(Jacquie) #4

To add to the information already posted regarding Dr. Terry Wahls, she has a keto version of The Wahls Protocol that she follows called Wahls Paleo Plus and there is a fb group by that name for those that might be interested.

(Todd Allen) #5

Thanks for the link to the article. I’ve got several friends with MS and Terry Wahls’ book, The Wahls Protocol, inspired me to dive into keto at a time when I was still fairly fat phobic. Although my disease is quite different then MS they both have a major metabolic component with damage to mitochondria a prime factor and both are considered progressive and irreversible (although many think the same thing of diabetes). I’ve also experienced a dramatic reversal although not yet to the degree she has but I’m feeling increasingly confident things will continue getting better. Her recovery started off slow and accelerated and I hope mine will too as I further learn to optimize diet and many other related lifestyle factors.

And I’ve had success while straying quite a bit from her plan. She eliminates dairy and eggs due to their potential autoimmune system impacts which is more of a factor in MS and she manages to eat more leafy greens and fermented/cultured foods than I do. And probably more offal and bone broth, but I’m catching up there as I learn new food habits.