Positive feedback from teenage son

(Jody) #1

I have been spending more time perusing the meat section of the market lately trying to step outside my comfort zone. I bought an 8lb Pork Shoulder Butt Roast this week, put a really simple dry rub on it, roasted it slowly for 10 hours, let it rest for about 40 minutes and then put it back in the oven at 500 degrees to crisp up the outside. My 17 year old son declared it was AMAZING, INCREDIBLE, and best thing he’s ever eaten. He just got done eating it for breakfast and requesting it for dinner later in the week.

My kids never complained about my cooking, but it’s feels REALLY good to get that kind of reaction! It encourages me to keep experimenting.

(Carl Keller) #2

Sounds delish! I believe the lower the temp and the longer you cook a meat in the oven, the more tender and juicy it is. Today I’m making roast beef. I will put a good rub of garlic powder, salt and pepper on it and then sear all sides in a frying pan before placing it, uncovered, in the oven @ 225 F. It will stay there about 5-6 hours or until it reaches 140 degrees (medium rare to medium). Searing the meat first will lock in the juices and the roasting pan will collect very little drippings. You can also sear the meat by cooking @ 350 for 30 minutes and then lowering the temperature to 225.

(Jody) #3

Carl, I have never cooked roast beef. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it in the meat section, is it called "roast beef’ on the label? My kids would love that.

(Carl Keller) #4

You can use just about any piece of beef that is more than two inches think but typically it’s from a round. Aldi has a top round that they label for roast beef but I prefer fattier pieces of meat. Today I’m using a 5 pound chuck roast that’s about four inches thick.

• Top Round Roast (AKA Inside Round) – this cut of beef is similar to the top sirloin in fat and flavor and is the most common cut used for roast beef.
  • Top Sirloin Roast (AKA Top Butt) – this cut is lean and full of flavor with a little but of marbling.
  • Bottom Round Roast (AKA Rolled Rump Roast) – this cut is a good budget cut and has more marbling than the Top Round.
  • Eye Of Round Roast – this is a circular cut that is very lean so needs to be very thinly sliced when roasted.

this is a chuck roast, before:

and after:

the bottom pic is cooked about a half longer than I prefer.

(Jody) #5

Okay, so I have seen all those cuts. I have cooked them in the slow cooker over the years on busy days, but have never been a fan of the flavor, texture, I’m totally going to try roasting, thank you!!

That second pic looks amazing! :):grinning:

(Linda Kaufman) #6

Are there any secrets to cooking roast beef? I’m afraid to fry such a huge piece of meat, but my niece will definitely like it.

(Jody) #7

Linda, I say we just try it and see what happens! I’ve always been afraid of roasting large cuts because it seems like such a waste if you mess up, but after the success of that pork shoulder, I’m feeling rather brave.

I’m also feeling really dumb, I always thought “roast beef” was a special cut… not just any cut of beef roasted… duh.