Porridge oats, really?

(Stu Shez ) #1

So in the process of “Selling” keto or perhaps a low carb to my mum, her inability to give up porridge in the morning came up.

When I checked, the nutrition panel on the back of the packet claims around 15g of Net carbs per 100g of oats, lots of dietary fibre and less than 1g sugars. There was actually nearly 3 g fat.

So, can my mum keep an ounce (28g) of oats in her diet with whole milk and do LCHF? Almost more importantly, can I have oats with a splash of whole milk and double (heavy) cream and still stay keto?

From what this says, it’s within my macros - can I trust it? anyone out here keto’ing on oats?

(Allie) #3

It’s not just about the macros, it’s about the inflammation these things cause in people’s bodies.

What about a keto version of oatmeal? There’s lots.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #4

Blimey, what brand are those? I always counted oats as 60g carbohydrate per 100g! Mind you that’s raw - I guess if you’re measuring cooked porridge that would weigh more and therefore be lower.

For the record I’m having similar conversations about keto breakfasts with my mother-in-law. Tough, right?

(Stu Shez ) #5

Yep, that 74 years of eating health carbs mindset is tough to shift.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #6

Aaaah, so the 15g is the ‘of which sugars’ bit!

:slightly_smiling_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

Only if you include 300ml of semi-skimmed milk!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

@Stu_Shez Do the math. 60 grams of carbs per 100 grams (Where do you get ‘15 net’?):

1.1 grams of ‘sugar’ + 9 grams fiber = 10.1 grams.

That leaves a whopping 49.9 grams of carbs per 100 grams unaccounted for. What exactly are those carbs that make up half the product? My guess: starch. Apparently, the legal requirement is to list total carbs, sugar and fiber only.

As @SkyStars mentions, dosing with MCT oil can introduce ketones in the absence of ketosis. So maybe you can convince her to add a tablespoon or two on the morning porridge. It’s tasteless so she would not even notice it.

(Stu Shez ) #9

Thanks all, even Michael…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Seems like a large amount of carbs for a fairly small amount of food to me. I think @amwassil is correct. However maybe she can include the small serving of oats when starting and phase them out in time? Certainly not everyone dives into KETO headfirst. Some need to transition and certainly low carb is not as good as KETO but it’s better than the old SAD. I hope your mom gives it a go, maybe she will feel better and want to take things a step further when she’s ready to. :cowboy_hat_face: