Pork Rinds

newbies

How did your chicken turn out? I’ve been dying to try KetoConnect’s recipe for chicken tenders (pork rind coated).

(CharleyD) #82

Gah! Where’s the beard?! Are you ok? :bearded_person:

(CharleyD) #83

Thank you for that. I found that tub for 7ish bucks at Sam’s Club here in Birmingham.

(Chris) #84

I have been jonesing to try making a Nashville Hot Chicken with pork rind coating

They have it on Amazon. I have one saved to my “Shopping List,” but current Insufficient Fundulation is causing me to have to wait on that until at least March or possibly April.

You’re very welcome, Charley. Now, if you’re able to locate some non-hydrogenated lard such as Field or Lucky in Birmingham that doesn’t require a second mortgage or bank heist to be able to afford, I’d love to know where and how much and would be very obliged. Also frozen artichoke hearts. It seems all the stores here in Montgomery carry the exact same (crappy) products. No variety at all except in some of the prices!

Make it and let is know how it comes out or post it in the Recipes section. It sounds yummy just from the name!

(CharleyD) #88

You bet! I’ll let you know.

Was too late to edit, so I’m just adding.

Make sure to warm up the rinds first before seasoning them. I use the toaster oven, personally, but use whatever works for you. Warming them will release some of the fat, which will make them a little sticky. That way your powdered vinegar, hot Indian spices, Chinese seasonings, Cajun seasonings, fajita seasonings, etc. , whatever you like to mix together, will stick to the actual rinds themselves.

Just a helpful hint.

(Rebecca) #90

These are tasty and a nice change from he normal. Yes a bit pricey but they’re a treat!!

(Rebecca) #91

Hands down

(Lonnie Hedley) #92

From the Armour website. http://www.armourlard.com/Why-Lard

Armour lard is fully hydrogenated and contains zero trans fats. Fully hydrogenated lard is different than partially hydrogenated oils, which are chemically altered and contain trans fatty acids. Trans fats are harmful because they lower HDL (good) cholesterol and raise LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, increasing the risk of coronary heart disease.

Not sure if you can believe the claims, but I have a package I use to season cast iron and I’m not going to throw it away.

(Garry (Canada)) #93

I just can’t find it in me to enjoy these pork rinds whether straight from the bag, or in the well reviewed pancake recipe.

Funny thing with them(and me)…If I eat them like potato chips straight out of the bag, I always seem to get blood blisters on the inside of my mouth.(inner cheeks) —No other food does this to me. Strange or what!!!

Anyways…Maybe the neighbors dog will like my remaining stash.

Where did I state you need to throw anything away? :::confused:::

(Lonnie Hedley) #95

No where. Just threw that in there. :blush:

(KCKO, KCFO) #96

My local Costco had them one time. Now they just seem to stock UTZ pretzels. Bummer. I’m in Denver area. I use the generic ones at King Soopers, a div. of Kroger. Just port skins nothing else. Works for me.

(TJ Borden) #97

That dog will be your best friend. As soon as I get a bag out of the pantry I have my pack gathered at me feet.

(Candy Lind) #98

@richard posted somewhere else in another discussion of lard that the word “hydrogenated” w/regard to lard is not the same (and not nearly as bad was my take) as hydrogenated w/regard to seed oils. Maybe he’ll chime in again …
EDIT: and just saw @hedleylo’s post above. That was the gist.

(Candy Lind) #99

Please, no! Large amounts of fat ingested at once can kill a dog - pancreatitis.

(Lonnie Hedley) #100

That post is how I learned about Armour lard I think.