Pork Rinds

newbies

(Jennifer Buchanan) #1

IMG_1362
Amazon has them $7.99 I ordered 2 :slight_smile:

(Chris W) #2

At times it is really annoying that there is such a huge discrepancy between Amazon in the US and Amazon in Canada. :frowning:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #3

It’s obscene at times. Whenever I go 'Stateside for work I sometimes take two large suitcases, one empty, just to order up big time on Amazon.

I can’t order pork rinds through the mail. I don’t want to end up with a bunch of crumbs from it being knocked around on the way to my house. I like to pick out bags at the store with big, in-tact pieces. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Chris) #5

I believe utz is fried in lard, which should be fine. Folks should be aware of skins fried in soybean or veg oils though. Great find!

(Jennifer Buchanan) #6

they were in tact, I have to blend them anyway so I am okay with it… I use for both snacking and bread crumbs :slight_smile:

(Jennifer Buchanan) #7

sorry to hear, I had no idea.

(Richard I Houghton) #8

Maybe it’s a southern “thing” but I get my snacktime fix with Baken-ets Spicy Chicharrones @ $2 a bag. I usually pair it with Sargentos Pepper Jack cheese sticks and a glass of cold water. I find them in most stores here in Texas.

Not to argue, but the packaging doesn’t say what they are fried in. Ingredients listed are only pork rinds and salt. I guess you could call them to find out more.

They have a brand called “Grandma Utz” that carries (OMG so out-of-this-world delicious) potato chips fried in lard. I don’t know any other “Grandma” products they make, though.

Generally means they are fried in the fat that renders out as the pork skin is heated.

(Chris) #11

I looked it up, and I’m going by the experience of others. I’m not a snacker, and not a person that eats food that comes premade. I’ll stick with steaks and steaks on the side. :smiley:

I called Utz. According to James in their customer service section, these pork rinds are fried in the fat that renders out while they are cooking. They do not add any oils or fats. Excellent! So now we know for sure.

(On a sad note, I asked for a coupon but their company doesn’t offer any manufacturer’s coupons. Awwwww.)

Those are good, too bad they only have like 3oz in a bag, that disappears way too fast. My local store sells them for $1.78 a bag. I usually buy like 10 of them :stuck_out_tongue:

My Walmart has expanded from 1 facing of the plain ones to 3, I swear it’s because of me buying 5+ a week.

Heh, I’m not ashamed to empty an entire shelf of pork rinds at the store.

(Jennifer Buchanan) #16

I know how you feel that’s why I was happy to get those 2 large bottles :slight_smile:

(Jennifer Buchanan) #17

thanks for the research Virginia, I think $7.99 was a great price.

You’re very welcome, Jennifer. Happy to make the call. The price you found was really great! If you have a local Sam’s Club they have them cheap there, too.

(matt ) #19

I only see them at 17.99 now

I buy cheap rinds at Walmart but if you are a rind aficionado you can buy 50 lb boxes of microwave rinds.