Coconut pancakes

breakfast

I’m in Australia. I don’t think I’ve ever seen pork rinds. Any knowledgeable people know if there is an equivalent or where I could find these? Fasting atm but planning for some feasting!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #62

They might go by different names. Pork skins, cracklins, chicharrones are just a few of the names.

Couple of quick links from a search:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=171595

Hope that helps.

Brilliant. Thank you!

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #64

I remember Pork Krackles from when I was a kid, so I threw it into Google and found this:

Thanks for the link. It took me to a page of corn and potato chips unfortunately. I did another search on the Woolies site and couldn’t see anything. I just need to use my google-fu I guess. I came across this. Are they the right thing?

http://www.poppaporkys.com.au/_p/prd1/2471725691/product/unseasoned-pork-crackle---1kg-bag

Please let me know if not okay to put in a product link.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #66

Oh! The link has the product ID in it…strange. Search for “Krackles” and you should find it. The brand is “Gold Medal”. They’re $2.30 a pack.

Found them. Thank you so much. :smile: I was spelling it with a c. Off to the shops! Well, actually, probably better to go tomorrow as I’m fasting. Thanks again.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #68

I hope they’re the right kind. Some pork rinds are very hard, but a food processor should make good work of them.
The kind I find here (Minnesota, US) I can crush with a rolling pin or my hands.

(Louise ) #69

@richard - I bought mine from JBHiFi yesterday!!

(Louise ) #70

@keehan I found a better option was to go to the Asian grocer and grind them up as @Brenda suggested. I ended buying a waffle iron at JBHiFi yesterday especially to make these. Be careful - they are super filling!

(Richard Morris) #71

Got mine from KMart yesterday - tomorrow I’m breaking a 3 day fast with pork rind waffles.

Time for some experimentation. I’m sure I’ll find something eventually. They just sound so yummy. I can’t wait. Food dreaming…

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #73

Yep. @Audrey was asking about how to find them in Australia and I remember them as “Krackles” from my childhood (in Queensland). I live in Canada now and here I can find pork rinds in several stores. Most however, are flavoured and not good for pancakes, but one brand “Baken-Ets” made by Frito Lay are available in plain are great for pancakes. They’re surprisingly cheap too compared to potato chips and corn chips.

(Richard Morris) #74

$29 from K-Mart :slight_smile:

(Dustin Cade) #75

@richard now we wait for pictures…

(Richard Morris) #76

so my waffle iron ends up making holes in the waffles which is not ideal but the waffles themselves were awesome.

With the addition of pulled pork, a poached egg, and some hollandaise sauce and you have a waffle benedict.

Also a liitle decontstructed coleslaw on the side.

And THAT is how you break a 3 day fast after a 65km bike ride :slight_smile: with breakfast food

(James storie) #77

That looks good! You’re just going to have to double the recipe, I’m sure you won’t mind! :smile:

(Jeremy Storie) #78

Tried these this morning. I loved them. Next time I think I’ll throw some pumpkin in :grin:

(Jan) #79

Ok, gonna make a savory version, Japanese-style. Takoyaki (octopus balls -stop laughing! They’re really good!) And maybe okonomiyaki too. My awesome son in law has mastered the art of making both, and served them to my family the other night. He made me some okonomi using a Keto recipe we found online…not good. But this just might be awesome! Usually the flour batter is mixed with dashi. I have a recipe for a dashi concentrate somewhere…gotta dig that up so the taste will come through in the batter…om nom nommmmmm…

(James storie) #80

Hey, you look a little like me! Hahaha! Glad to hear they turned out good