Coconut pancakes

breakfast

(PJ) #344

Good grief. You guys are die-hards! This was one of the first recipes I made when I decided to plunge in and try low-carb.

It nearly put me off low-carb entirely.

It’s a good thing that ‘bacon and eggs’, burgers, steak, and ‘pepperoni with cheese’ worked for me. :rofl:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #345

As in, you didn’t like the taste? Most who try this do like them, if they can get past what they are made from :slight_smile:

(PJ) #346

Yes. I didn’t like the taste. Or really, texture. I found the entire sum of it utterly vile.

But to each their own :slight_smile: – it was just so visceral and disappointing for me, very early in my LC days, and made me suspicious from then on about anything people claimed tasted “just like ____!”

I also don’t think cauli with cheese/butter tastes anything like mashed potatoes. However, cauli when cooked with specific flavors like in chicken fried mock-rice is great.

And I don’t like spaghetti squash at all, to replace spaghetti, but a few different veggies including zukes and eggplant, cooked with the right seasonings, are an amazing analogy to apple pie filling.

So I think it’s just individual tastes. In fact since going lowcarb/keto I’ve become very interested in how distinct the human taste buds are. I knew I was a supertaster for dairy proteins, and that some of my friends think cilantro tastes like dish soap, but aside from that I hadn’t been exposed to just how widely human taste varies. I find the topic very interesting. I think it would be interesting if someday they could predict what people would love based on some measurable factor.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #347

Could be one other possibility, the BRAND of pork rinds you used. They also taste rancid if beyond or close to the freshness date. Old Dutch pork rinds are especially bad! Should have been no pork flavor and bready texture once cooked.

I tried making these the other week, they were really heavy and dense … not pancaky at all :frowning:
And I use chicharrones so basically the lightest and fluffiest pork rinds ever.