Coconut pancakes

breakfast

(Carey) #201

After listening to the podcast about your Breakenridge breakfast, I joined the forum so I could find this recipe! I made a grocery store run specifically for pork rinds so I could break my fast with these waffles!

They were delicious and I am thrilled because brunch can be fun again with sweetness! I used the Brown Butter Syrup recipe from Jimmy Moore and Maria Emmerich’s “The Ketogenic Cookbook” - wowsa!

My plating skill leaves something to be desired but oh how I have missed waffles on a weekend morning!

(Cheryl Hall) #202

@Brenda – I made these and wow!!! So good! I didn’t
get to take a photo because I couldn’t wait to try them. I didn’t have any sugar free syrup so I put on loads of melted Kerrygold with cinnamon and Swerve.

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!:pancakes:

Had lots of nieces and nephews in town, none of their families are keto… I was fasting but making these pork rind waffles again for my kids this morning and their cousins were jealous. I had to make several more batches and all the kids were gobbling them up. Some wanted butter and sugar free syrup, some peanut butter and the syrup, some cream cheese, some cinnamon and sweetener, some blueberries. They were a huge hit! Couldn’t make enough. When something passes the kid test, you know they’re especially good!

(Dude Man) #204

Oh my! I had no Idea I was wasting so many pork rinds!!!

Another convert
I never had pork rinds, but bought them on Amazon Since they were an add-on. A huge tub arrived, ate one, not impressed, and I didn’t know what to do with the rest. So, I’ve been staring at this tub for a few months, saw this post and all the comments, and decided to try them as waffles.
They came out soft like a pancake. Added butter and some sugar free syrup. Yes, I ate the entire batch, ground up the entire tub of pork rinds for quick access, and am planning to take the next batch to work tomorrow night. Will also be sharing recipe/site with one of the day nurses, who is the only other Keto person I know in the flesh.
This is definitely going to be a repeat recipe, probably daily for a while :hushed:
Thanks

Must be talking about the Utz pork rinds. I did the same via Amazon. Love them. I don’t eat them straight very often. Some other ideas for pork rinds:

Put a bunch in a little ziplock, pour some cinnamon and a little bit of stevia. Shake and enjoy.
Put a bunch in a little ziplock, pour ranch seasoning in there (this one is a little bit more carby but not too bad), shake and enjoy, or just dip them straight from the tub in some ranch-seasoned sour cream.
They also go great as chips, like for dipping in queso, guac, or chart house blue cheese dressing.
And of course the standard keto breading crumble, mixing with almond flour and parmesan.

The last one I’ll mention, which sounds just crazy to people, especially non-ketoers, is pork rind puppy chow aka muddy buddies. Warning: these can be dangerous. The bag disappears faster than you’d think. I recommend upping the peanut butter amount a bit, tossing that bag well, and sprinkling some additional powdered erythritol on it all after it has chilled. The pieces at the bottom are especially dangerous. My wife loves these things. I love telling people I’m eating pig skins dipped in peanut butter and chocolate.

Yep, the Utz pork rinds. Thanks for the other ideas. Will definitely look into the puppy chow :grinning: when I get my next tub.

(ketoathlete) #209

I have been CRAVING pancakes since going keto a month ago. Thank you so much! These look awesome!

(Sheri Knauer) #210

I pronounce this day “Waffle Day”! Firing up the ole waffle iron. This thing takes like 30 minutes to warm up!

(Jules Swart) #211

Just yum!!!

(Jessika Nilsson) #212

That explains the result when I tried making this recipe yesterday :slight_smile: I was using ‘Cracklins’ and not ‘Pork rinds’, and here I thought they were the same :joy:
It turned out tasty anyway and pretty pourable, but the occasional bigger piece of cracklin made for a strange texture :wink: They were delicious with smetana and swedish blueberries :heart:

(jay) #213

I just ate my first “pancake” in over a year. I can’t believe how filling one of these are. I used a brand called “Golden Flake” which is made in Alabama and distributed throughout the southeast U.S. As a kid my grandfather would visit from Lafayette LA and bring fresh cracklins which we loved. I remember if I ate more than 3 or 4 I became nausous though. I didn’t then understand that was what “eating too much” felt like. In my life as a sugar whore, I would take an entire loaf of soft white bread, mush it into a dough and eat the entire loaf, and while I was physically full (stomach was painfully strectched) I could have easily eaten another loaf.
Anyway, this recipe and others like it are a godsend for a fellow that started keto exclusively on pork shoulder steaks. My cooking skills are limited but even I can make these! Thank you, thank you, thank you, despite your preemptive “you’re welcome” .

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #214

You’re welcome :heart: :zornface: :wink:

(jay) #215

TRICKY PANCAKES!
@Brenda I do have a complaint relating to your pancakes though. I mean when I made it… It looked like a pancake, it tasted like a pancake, so I ate the whole thing…Its a pancake right…I can eat a dozen of these right…well no, no I can’t . I am still full from that one dang pancake Brenda! I’ve been on Keto for over a year and getting back in touch with my sense of appetite has been a revelation but your tricky pancakes fooled me…I suggest you add a warning label or something… I had start an unplanned intermitent fast :wink:

(Linda Culbreth) #216

stevia and any other sweeteners spike up insulin.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #217

Depends on the individual. It actually does not do this to everyone. Thankfully.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #218

I hear ya. They are delightfully filling. It’s one of the things I like about these. They are satisfying AF!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #219

More photos, just for the helluvit.
I made these for Tammy Kidd’s family a few weeks ago. @tammy_steve1219
20170728_08224720170728_08264320170728_084207

Can I ask what brand of eggs and cream you use? My large eggs are 1 carb each and cream is 1 carb per tablespoon. Always looking to reduce carbs. Thanks

That’s just rounding, some companies round down and others up

1 large egg is 0.4 g carbs, 1 T cream is 0.4 g carbs