Pork loin SV help

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Okay, with my latest “multi meat” SV cooking, I did my pork loin (a 2 1/2 lb chunk of the 10 lb loin) (not to be confused with pork tenderloin, which is an entirely different cut) I SV’ed it for 6hrs at 150 F, and it came out… eh… edible, but kind of dry, and a little rubbery :frowning: Plus, I didn’t sear it, figuring I was going to slice this and heat it in a pan with butter for my breakfasts… So without searing, the fat shoulder was nasty. Really greasy like eating lard. Lucky dogs ! :slight_smile: lol

For my next cook (I have 3 more tries for perfection :slight_smile: ) I’m thinking, 3 hrs, at 137 F, and I will definitely be hitting this one with the torch !

Unless someone here has a better suggestion / more experience with pork loin than I do…

(Doug) #2

Chris, I’ve done 140 F and 136 or 137 F (can’t remember which) and both were excellent. 4 hours cooking time but 2.5 or 3 might be just as good.

Kenji - a dude that really knows a lot about this stuff - goes all the way down to 130 F for “medium rare.” Yikes, I think, but apparently it’s not a problem, overall.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

But Doug, just one reminder… Mine was “pork loin”… not the much thinner “pork tenderloin”… So basically, mine is a big, long unsliced pork chop…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Hey Chris, I buy whole pork loins and cut them into 1.5” chops. Sousvide at 132 for two hours. They are lightly cooked and tender. Pink enough to give them a good fat pan sear without over cooking. I know you’re allergic to red pepper but this is how I do them when I want Blackened Chops, but it works great for any style. If you cook pork loin well done it’s going to be dry and tough because of the low fat content. The sousvide pasteurizes the meat so pink pork is totally safe. It freaks out some people with food prejudices about “undercooked pork” but that’s definitely not an issue with sousvide.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Doug) #5

Chris - yes, same here, a whole tenderloin/“Boneless Pork Loin” (one the best meat deals going). I didn’t check with a thermometer, but think that 2.5 hours or more is enough for all the meat to get to the desired temperature - it looks the same all the way through (but now I wonder). I’ve browned the outside in an oven afterwards, or sliced it into thick chops and then seared the edges in a hot pan. A hot grill would do excellently, too, IMO.

Okay - I do see a really thin “tenderloin” cut that is available some places, and I did not know they were different. The ones I usually get are 10 or 11 lbs, and true tenderloins are pretty puny, like 1 lb.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I might have suggested this before Chris but the free Joule app is great for learning to tweak temperature and time to get the results you want with sousvide. It doesn’t matter if you use a different pod, I do. The Joule is my first go to reference for sousvide times and temperatures. The also have compensation for fresh or frozen meats. I tend to go for the lighter cooks myself, searing adds another level of cooking past their settings. So I compensate with lighter sousvide cooking.

Pork loin and tenderloin are totally different cuts from different places on the pig. Loin is like the ribeye and the tenderloin is along the backbone.

(Steve) #7

Isn’t it the other way around, loin is on the back rib?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

@Jamboribs Tenderloin is inside the rib cage against the backbone, pork loin is outside the rib cage

:cowboy_hat_face:.

(Steve) #9

Correct

(PSackmann) #10

For a tender cut like this, I’d go with 140 for medium, then about 2.5 hours (rule of thumb for steak-like texture is 1 hour for 1 inch thickness). My household doesn’t like seeing pink in their pork.

I like the idea of slicing and heating it in the pan instead of searing, we did that with a top round and it was heavenly.

If you wanted to do it longer, you could lard it with some raw bacon, see how that works.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Fat does not penetrate protein. Usually larding or a fat wrap with conventional cooking methods helps retain moisture, but it is a non issue with sousvide cooking. In my experience adding fat to a sousvide cook results in meat flavored fat but no change to the meat except maybe some lost flavor.

That isn’t blood, it’s myoglobin, an amino acid enzyme that hasn’t been oxidized. The same thing is true with beef. Like I said pork prejudice thinking it’s raw or dangerous. It’s just not over cooked. Trichinosis has been virtually eliminated in pigs now. That was scary 50-60 years ago.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(PSackmann) #12

Thanks, I would have wasted some good bacon trying that.

True, but it doesn’t change the fact that they won’t eat it. I live with some very picky people

(Doug) #13

David, right on - I’m going to check how the stuff I buy at Restaurant Depot is labeled. Seems to me the pork loin is labeled as ‘pork tenderloin’ but probably more than 50/50 that I’m just remembering wrong.

:: check, check, check… ::

Porkloins

So I’m just a senile old *******… :neutral_face:

(FRANK) #14

Chris,

1. Do not sous vide pork higher than 135 degrees.
  2. Brine the pork loin prior to sous vide. Go online for brine recipes and time in brine. Makes a HUGE difference. I also brine all poultry also.

Give it a shot, I think you will like the results.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #15

Much thanks all :slightly_smiling_face: I actually have a chunk of pork loin in the SV bath right now… 3 hrs @ 137 (close to 135 Frank :slightly_smiling_face:) Might try 135 the next time.

Anxious to torch sear this one though…
And as soon as the pork loin roast comes out, the baby back ribs go in, for 21 hrs at 150 :slightly_smiling_face: First time for ribs.

(Doug) #16

Frank, I have to try that, then. Both pork and poultry already are amazingly juicy with sous vide (no need to overcook them / dry them out due to fear of undercooking) - hard for me to imagine them being any better…

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

Yep. I’m definitely not opposed to that myself. And I’ll probably get pork loin dialed in pretty quick, as it’s cheap, and I eat a lot of it for my breakfasts. Heck, I have two more big hunks of it in the freezer still behind this one…

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #18

Okay, just finished the pork loin, and it looks and smells fantastic ! :grin:
The only thing that threw me off a little, was that when I went to score the fat shoulder, the little fat squares started falling off. So I said, fine then. Pulled them all off, reseasoned that side, gave the whole thing a nice costing of Mayo, and torched it :slightly_smiling_face:

Even without cutting, I could tell it was very tender, and not rubbery at all. Will report back with my 1-10 rating after I have some for breakfast.

Oh, and as soon as I pulled out the pork loin roast, I put a rack of baby back pork ribs right back in. Those are going for 21 hrs, at 150 F. My first rib SV.
Will report back on those too.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

From how I understand if you salt the meat liberally before bagging cooking sousvide creates a kind of concentrated hot brine. I have noticed the meat has salt taste inside after cooking. You can also salt and bag the meat with spices if you like and let it sit refrigerated for 1-3 days before cooking. That works well.

(PSackmann) #20

Let me know how your ribs come out. I usually do mine at 140 for 20 hours, then they go to a friend’s house to marinate and cook on the smoker. Doing that tomorrow as a matter of fact