Popping My Sous Vide Cherry

(Central Florida Bob ) #21

I’ll have to go up to the store and see what’s available. I think I have a pork butt in the freezer, but a smoked chuck roast could be a good alternative and I don’t have one of those.

I’m just not sure if I should spend more time doing some other foods or go straight for the 'cue.

I’m a rarity among Aussies - I’ve never BBQd a thing. In my defence I was a vegetarian for 30 years…

I’d say start as you mean to go on. Take something you usually like & give it a go :smile:

(Running from stupidity) #23

My eggsperiments are good, though!

:rofl:

Yeah, I’d try something smallish to start with.

This.

(Mike W.) #24

I have. I usually salt heavily, let it sit in the fridge for 24+, then bag it, 165 for 18-24. Ice bath, fridge overnight, then rubbed and smoked until IT reaches 165ish again. Usually 2-3 hours at 225. The dry brining step is what takes this pork next level for flavor. For a more immediate result though, try a nice fatty ribeye at 129/2. Sear in HOT cast iron pan.

(Central Florida Bob ) #25

Thanks, Mike! Very interesting… It certainly produces a beautiful tray of pulled pork.

My wife and I spent too much time going through pages of recipes at the Anova site. Absolutely not keto recipes, except the occasional one or two that just happened to be. I also spent time at Serious Eats looking at their recipes. I expected a bit more documentation with the Nano than just a refrigerator magnet with some temperature guidelines.

(Mike W.) #26

I can share my sugar free rub recipe if you like.

(Central Florida Bob ) #27

How can I resist that?

I’m curious about your process, too, whatever level you feel comfortable with. Do you still coat the pork with mustard before you rub? Dry brine with kosher salt?

(Mike W.) #28

I’m not going to tout this as my own, sorry if I did. But this is all I ever use anymore because it’s so good. I obviously omit all the sugar. It doesn’t even need it.

(Central Florida Bob ) #29

Ah… cool!

I have Amazing Ribs bookmarked but don’t spend much time browsing there. Good place, though.

(Mike W.) #30

His Columbian Gold mustard sauce is great on some brisket too. No sugar.

Delete.

Experiment#3 - 300g oyster blade sous vide at 55c for 3 1/2 hours then a minute searing each side. Colour wasn’t as even but the steak was fantastically tender with just a little bit of bite to some of the gristle. Oyster blade is my favourite cut so I’d probably have enjoyed it anyway but the difference between the regular method & the sous vide was very noticeable. Very happy with this one :grin:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #33

Safi you seem to be a fan of spice. One of my absolute favorites is creole/Cajun style blackened meats and poultry done with sous vide. I like the Paul Prudhome copy cat blackening spice recipe that’s on the net. I usually add more cayenne and thyme and oregano for my personal taste. Just cook your steak, pork chop or skinless chicken sous vide to minimum doneness. Then heat a nonstick or cast iron skillet very very hot. I often do this on a bbq or stove outside because of possible choking! Dry the meat with paper towels and coat generously with the spice blend. I put a bit of coconut oil in the pan and quickly place the meat on it. We’re not frying it but we don’t want it to stick. Leave it for a couple of minutes without moving it. Gently lift an edge to see if it’s charred, if so flip it for a couple of minutes more. Pour any spicy oil drippings over the meat. A party in your mouth! :yum:

Thanks for the tip @David_Stilley :slightly_smiling_face: I do enjoy a bit of spice but must confess I’ve yet to wander into cajun/creole territory. Will make an effort to try new things this new year!

(Jane) #35

:heart_eyes:

Just googled & found the recipe for that :grinning: Thanks