Polyphenols & Sirtuins

I am currently watching a very interesting presentation on Sirt foods. The discussion is around how polyphenols mimic fasting and exercise stress responses in our body and therefore are great foods to eat but particularly in a fasting type regime.

Anyone know anything about this? It sounds logical but then a well presented argument always does. This is not a militant vegan video by the way but a presentation at a nutrition college. I can’t share it I’m afraid as you need to be a student to access it.

The guy presenting it is one of the authors of The SirtFood Diet.

Just now reading this paper. Interesting.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gerald_Rimbach/publication/224038198_Autophagy_polyphenols_and_healthy_ageing/links/54510a000cf285a067c67f7b.pdf

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #2

Coincidentally, was just reading an article about AMPK activators & sirtuins.

I think the author had got his knowledge from David Sinclair.

This is one of Sinclair’s lectures on Youtube (this one is a TED talk):

He mentions caloric restriction.

Interestingly, the author of the article I mentioned (not David Sinclair), listed metformin as a life-lengthening drug, although only to a limit extent.

watching now. thank you.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #4

I wasn’t sure whether to specifically link to the article I was talking about, since it may be a bit of a distraction from your topic, but I think it’s related enough:

(That’s the first of 4 related articles. I think that one links to part 2 and so on, but if part 4 is unlinked, just google “The Transition to a Longer Living Society Part 4”).

(However, I don’t think those articles specifically mention the “magic” drug or substance (that he is a proponent of) that seems to mimic WLS - I thought they did. I’ll have to do more digging on that one).

My feeling is that it might be a way for people like me who seem to struggle with fasting a way to fast without nausea by eating a small amount of something that actually mimics fasting and doesn’t inhibit autophagy.