Poll: what was the source of you hearing about keto that got you started?

(Doug) #41

Paul, a buddy of mine had a health food store in the 1970s, and he recommended that book. There was a little bit of questioning because of “confounding” things that some people objected too, and I guess that Keys would have been one of them, from what you say, but the book made sense to me.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #42

Really, not doing “keto” but am doing something fairly similar, so I picked the top choice… already doing something. Keto just has the best forum.

Found Gary Taubes after learning I was pre-diabetic.
And I just love doing terrible things to my telomeres.:wink:

(Tina Emmons) #44

Funny, I saved myself! I was familiar with low carb and had success in the past but had been away from it for a long time. A client was telling me she was starving all the time. Like counting the minutes until her next meal right after finishing the last. I was shocked cuz she’s beautiful, active and no weight problem. I asked if she’d ever tried low carb and she was off to the races! Studied like crazy, lost 20lbs effortlessly over the next year and she’s SOOOO much happier! She now lives keto for health. It reminded me of this WOE and I dove back in. Slight difference was the HF had been added to LC when I wasn’t looking! Found 2KD’s and Dr. Fung(and many others) and here I am.:grinning:

(Troy) #45

For me

Already Doing - already was cutting out sugar. Then breads and pasta
+
Friend mentioned - already on Keto … “ wow. looks like you are already on that path “:flushed:
Then he recommended to…drum roll
I got the FORUM FAVORITE- pee strips
Yi-pee🤣
+
Self research - aka google and YT
Sigh

= FAT ADAPTED.
Now A lean, mean Keto machine!

I had to lose weight at the beginning of last year and started via the whole “eat less, move more” way. Then in March my coworker who sits by me mentioned she was doing Keto. I remembered Atkins so was familiar with low carb. So I spent a couple weeks doing research before finally deciding it made sense.

(John) #47

Joe Rogan talkin to Rhonda Patrick about intermittent fasting. That got me searching and came across Fung. That lead me to keto

(Carol) #48

Other - was searching for foods to help reduce inflammation. Couldn’t be happier in having discovered keto.

Health professional.
Megan Ramos mentioned she was doing it.
I follow her because I have very extreme insulin resistance and diabetes type 2 and Dr Fung was the best information source I could find for addressing that.

I’ve known, at least on an intellectual level, that carbs we’re bad since I was a child. My father did protein power, and my mother did Atkins. The problem was none of us could ever really stick to them. I now know one of the main reasons was probably not enough fat. I tried keto a few years ago when I was still in college and it didn’t go very well. I listened to a certain “keto person” and was very restrictive.

It all finally hit home when I watched Dr. Fung’s Aetiology of obesity series on YouTube. I’ve been doing keto and IF ever since.

I’m not entirely sure aliens were involved, but I feel like I’ve known about low carb eating and resultant ketosis for, like, forever. I read Atkins a looong time ago and he made good sense - I always had success when I tried it, but I’m basically crap at sticking to diets so I’d regularly relapse.

I spent a lot of time on the Mark’s Daily Apple forums back in the day (when it was still fun), and Mark has always espoused the benefits of keeping carbs low. So I’ve long known what’s right and what works for me - my issue has been more about dealing with my Inner Carbage Monster. As middle-aged spread has hit, and I worry more about what I’m doing to my future health by not taking care of myself now, I’m more motivated to stick to it. It certainly helps that there’s a lot more supportive reading material / videos / groups and forums like this one to keep me encouraged this time around.

(John Owen) #52

Other:
I did Atkins when I was younger (always been overweight) and LOVED the bacon, eggs, cheese and all the glorious meat!! I was Keto long before Keto was a thing! I always had trouble when I started adding carbs back in, which was how the Atkins was supposed to work. I would stay in the induction phase for as long as I thought it was “healthy” and continued on the roller coaster for a long time. This was 40 years ago and back then eating all high-fat and moderate/low protein and super low carb was REALLY frowned on!

(Brian) #53

Unfortunately, it still is in many circles, including a big chunk of the medical community. BUT… with the age of the internet and information extremely available to almost everyone, keto / low-carb and how it’s working for many thousands of people can’t just be hidden any more. It’s… we’re, out there and it’s not a secret. And with so many of us having lost large amounts of weight and left behind stuff like T2 diabetes, heart disease, and a host of ailments, it’s kinda hard to argue with that on an individual basis (although a few still try).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

It’s okay, just be sure you don’t mention the mother ship to carbovores! :bacon: