Poll: what was the source of you hearing about keto that got you started?

• Already doing LCHF/paleo/something similar and moved to keto as a natural next step
  • It was yet another thing to try on a long run of different diets
  • A doctor/other health professional (excluding nutritionist) recommended it to me
  • A nutritonist recommended it to me
  • I observed the results a friend/colleague/family member had from it
  • I saw a celebrity who had results from it
  • I read about it in a book/magazine/news article
  • I heard about it in a podcast
  • I watched a documentary on Netflix/YouTube/other streaming sites about keto or a similar diet
  • I watched any other video (i.e. not a full length documentary) on Netflix/YouTube/other streaming sites
  • I saw it mentioned on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc)
  • I cooked a (or sampled someone else’s) keto recipe and then thought it was worth trying
  • Self-research (i.e. independently ate this way and only later discovered it had a name)
  • Grew up this way (i.e. prescribed this WOE since an early age, possibly for medical reasons)
  • I woke up one day, having possibly been abducted by aliens, and just “knew” about keto
  • Other (please share!)

0 voters

(Laurie) #2

I answered “Already doing LCHF. . . .” for simplicity’s sake. But I had been away from Atkins for about 13 years. The reason I tried keto was that in 2018 this group was easier to join than the Atkins groups I found online.

(Doug) #3

Other - internet search relating to diabetes.

(Dena ) #4

Should have a option for family/friend. My sister is my intro to Keto

(Running from stupidity) #5

It was a podcast, but not a keto podcast, so I don’t know if that would skew the results if I answered that, so I put “other.”

(Paul Thurrott, Windows Weekly.)

(Karen) #6

Dr. Berg videos

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #7

Not the results I wanted with paleo and a coworker was having great results with Keto, so I chose “I observed the results of someone else”

(John) #8

I went with “Observed results from a friend/colleague” which is vaguely correct - someone I knew from a completely unrelated forum posted a link to an Ivor Cummins video which he referred to after turning his heath around after a second heart attack.

I watched that, then continued to research from there and decided the science was solid enough to give it a try. Everything has been self-taught and self-researched from reading multiple web sites, watching YouTube vids, and reading the research studies. And the occasional tidbit I pick up here.

(Carl Keller) #9

Other- Talked to a guy who lost 60lbs in 6 months and got interested.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Dr. Lustig’s lecture, “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” scared the [spoiler]shit[/spoiler] out of me and got me to recognize my sugar addiction. I managed to cut out all sugar and sweets, and started to feel so good that I went full-bore keto a few weeks later. By that time, I had moved on to videos by Dr. Phinney, Dr. Attia, and Low Carb Down Under, so I knew about keto by the time I started. And it was Dr. Attia’s TED talk that got me started down this whole nutritional rabbit-hole.

Other- When discussing my wife’s gastric bypass surgery with a doctor, and talking about how little a person post surgery could eat and what she should prioritise, carbs were last on the list.

That got me intrigued as I always suspected that carbs/sugar were responsible for weight gain, so I did some research on the internet and ‘keto’ kept popping up.

My wife postponed her surgery and we both decided to try keto for a year to see if that helped.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #12

That’s awesome! When was this? Did she end up not having the surgery, or are you still within that year?

No surgery. We’re three months into keto, we’ve both lost about 20kgs (44lbs) each.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #14

Other–already did Atkins diet years ago and knew I could go back to it because it was effective. Searched Atkins found keto.

Thanks everyone for sharing. Some great stories here. Sorry if the poll is restrictive in choices in any way, I tried to add a lot but didn’t want there to be about 80 options. I wanted to edit it about 10 minutes after creation but you only get five minutes to do so.

Hopefully will still yield some interesting data!

(Rick Singers) #16

I watched “The Magic Pill” Documentary on Netflix while trying to find something to make me sleepy! Finished the docu more awake than when I started it. Been keto (still learning) for 6 months, 50 pounds gone, daughter is having even better results, which is causing second daughter to try keto!

(Edgar) #17

I did paleo mainly from following Mark Sisson for many years but I took a break and stopped following him once I thought I had a good grip of the diet and it seemed like he wasn’t providing me any new info. I had heard brief mentions of keto here and there around the internet but the thought of giving up fruit and lowering carbs even further just seemed crazy to me so I never paid it much attention, I had only heard about it in the context of weight loss but never heard any of the other health benefits so I thought there’s no way this could be healthy for you. Then to my surprise Mark released The Keto Reset Diet and I had a couple of Audible credits to spare so it got me curious why he would endorse such a wacky diet and I downloaded the book. The reasoning and science behind the diet fascinated me and made sense, and I’ve been following it since. I don’t really follow his “metabolic flexibility” approach, but he’s the one that opened the door to keto for me.

(Allie) #18

I didn’t hear about it anywhere. I was just being lazy and saving time by cooking just meat at meal times then did some research and found it actually had a name. So really I went keto before I knew keto was a thing.

(Randy) #19

My brother told me what he was doing, and sent me this link:

(Pat S) #20

Ken Berry