Poll: what was the source of you hearing about keto that got you started?

(Diane) #21

Wow. What a great talk. Thanks for sharing this information!

Wow that’s very similar to my path.

Lustig / Phinney/Volek / Westman / Ataia

Then Noakes / Cummins / Nina

I also use Atkins cookbooks. (Atkins20 Induction Phase)

Wish I knew 20 years ago.

(Sheri Knauer) #23

Other. My friend, who was starting her own keto coaching business, asked me if I ever did keto and wanted to try. Since I have tried just about every diet known to mankind, and they always failed in the end, I said, “Sure, why not?” The worst that can happen is the same thing that always happens, lose some, maintain it for about 5 seconds, then gain it all back. What was really helpful was since she was starting a coaching business, she sent me menus and meal plans for like the first month or so, long enough for me to feel the difference and see results and spark in me a need to find out more. That was 2.5 years ago and I am still reading, listening, and learning all things nutrition and keto related. Starting NTP training next month as well to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner.

(Jane) #24

I started out on Atkins because I’d had more success with it than other diets in the past.

Then a close friend recommended this forum and I discovered what “keto” was from reading here. I lurked for about 4-6 weeks before posting. By then I had been in ketosis long enough to be fat-adapted even though I didn’t know what that was. I just noticed I kept forgetting to eat!

Not sure if you’re able to update votes after you’ve chosen something, but there’s an option for that one. :slight_smile: (Starts “self-research”)

(Karen) #26

Did Atkins several times in the past. The induction phase always worked then I’d go back to SAD. Never considered staying in induction.

(Allie) #27

I saw that but didn’t think it fitted as my research was after I had already been doing it for months and getting results.

Fair enough!

Imagine how different the past few decades would have been had someone interrupted Dr. Atkins while he had just finished writing what would become Phase 1, and he lost his train of thought and concluded later, “Hmm, that seems to be it. To the publishers!”

(KetoQ) #30

Before I started low carb in May 2018, I had already had an awareness about a keto diet, but didn’t know a lot of the specifics.

When I had my come to Jesus moment and felt really frustrated with my weight and health, I googled “how to lose 100 pounds in 100 days,” and just started reading, and began to learn about keto in more detail.

That led me to Youtube, and at the time Dr. Berg’s videos were rather prominent if you did a YT search on keto. Even though he gets mixed reviews from the members on this board, I got what I felt was lots of good info on keto and an intro about insulin control over calorie control. So I give Dr. Berg lots of credit for helping me get started.

Then about a month in, I found this board, and it has been a primary source of info as well as inspiration.

Q

I found Keto while specifically researching for a solution to my cognitive decline after my former PCP told me it was just because I am getting older and there is not much you can do about it.

You mentioned this before and it has always intrigued me. It is totally opposite to my experience. I found Keto by specifically looking to solve a specific problem. You found it by serendipity, by a fluke; you just fell into it by doing it. Love it! I wonder if you intuitively knew what your body needed.

Great poll, @gaff. Thanks! It is very interesting seeing all the different paths to Keto,

(Brian) #33

I answered “doctor” but I’m not sure if I should have answered “YouTube”. I was in a very bad place health wise and I don’t know how I ever got on his email list but in my email box there started showing up emails from “Dr. Eric Berg”. I didn’t know anything about keto but took a few of his basic videos, which were quite contradictory to the way I was eating and figured, “Why not? Can’t make things that much worse 'cause if I keep on going like I am, it would have to get worse than dead.”

That was nearly a year and a half ago now. And I’ve come to the point where I don’t pay a lot of attention to Dr. Berg anymore, don’t agree with him on some things anymore. But I kinda look at him like many of us might look at an eccentric 1st grade teacher. I’ve learned a bunch more since and have a lot more people that I look up to for keto insights.

Anyway, if someone thinks my vote should have been YouTube, they can change it. Just telling how it happened.

:slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #34

My dad and his brother both lost 80ish lbs on The Atkins Diet about 15 or so years ago. My dad was off and on, loose the weight - gain it back cycling between them. My uncle just got back to old ways and died last summer.

I decided to try Atkins and read about it on Healthline.com. A few days later viewed The Magic Pill. Read Healthline article again with a link to a Healthline article about Keto Diet. It made more sense for me.

And Bob’s your brother. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jennibc) #35

I am so glad she chose to wait! It turns out those who go that route have health complications because of it. I suspect that docs don’t know what they don’t know about the body still! I wonder if when they remove part of the stomach, there is necessary gastric real estate being removed - in other words perhaps not all parts of the stomach are created equal for nutrient absorption. I recently read that it appears that people who have had the surgery are more likely to sustain fractured bones.

Powerful lecture! Found it during my research. Scared the heck out of me, too! The thought that came to me while watching it was , “This crap I am eating isn’t just ‘unhealthy’, it is actually killing me!” Great motivator to get me off my sugar addiction!

(Jason Barden) #37

For me it was Dominic D’Agostino on the Tim Ferriss podcast that first introduced me to keto. Not long after that I stumbled across Dr. Sarah Hallberg’s TED Talk.

(Karen) #38

You know when I was in college, I remember sitting in the open area of the engineering building, and there was a person there who had a book called sugar the white death, or something like that. I remember this person was more less proselytizing about sugar with anyone who would care to listen. I thought they were real Nutter at the time. Who knew?

(Brian) #39

It’s amazing how that works.

The older I get, the more I’m finding that some of the things I used to think of as pretty “normal” are kinda “whacked out” and some of the things I used to think of as “whacked out” seem to make more sense. It’s not just the diet.

Thankful that I’m willing to change an opinion. It’s sad to see someone hold on to an opinion that’s killing them and it does, especially if it didn’t have to.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

Could it have been Yudkin’s book, Pure, White, and Deadly? Keys and his supporters hounded him mercilessly after he published it . . . :frowning: