Podcasts loading slowly on apple podcasts

For several weeks now, the podcast is very slow to start. it often takes over a minute. sometimes it does NOT load (or maybe I just get frustrated and move on) . I use apple podcasts and its the same problem on all my devices and on different wifi. None of my other podcasts are affected? anyone else? what could it be?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Do you have the same problem if you download first, and then listen, once the download has finished?

(less is more, more or less) #3

I use Overcast on iPhone and I have never experienced what you’re describing. Frankly, I’m unclear what you’re experiencing, by way of “slow loading.”

What player do you use? As @PaulL asks, are you streaming or pre-downloading the audio file?

Yeah, I had great trouble trying to download last week’s podcast (Shawn Baker). Ridiculously slow, whether directly from the Dudes’ website or via a podcast app (e.g. Player). Ended up just streaming on my laptop because I literally could not get the ep to download successfully, despite many attempts.

(Heidi Wyman) #5

I’m having the exact same problem on Apple Podcasts but it seems to be more with the older podcasts than the newer ones.

(Jody) #6

I have this problem working my way through their old library, it will spin and spin many times through a playback. It doesn’t happen with other podcasts I listen to, so I assume it’s their servers.

I use an older app called podcast addict, and it allows me to download new podcasts (that I’m subscribed to) automatically at night while I’m sleeping. So I have a fresh set every morning :):grinning:

It takes several seconds to start downloading .-or at least for the progress wheel to start moving . Then it downloads at a normal rate Once its downloaded , there is no delay when played so it’s not dead space at the beginning of the file

Streaming. If I download it, there’s a delay before it starts downloading then plays fine once downloaded. I prefer not to download.

(Khara) #9

I’m on board with @Screenack. The Apple podcasts app drove me insane early on. I got Pocketcasts instead and it works fine. I also stream rather than download.

(less is more, more or less) #10

That’s the rub, and outside the control of the 2 dudes and dudettes. Streaming is subject to the shifting nature of your phone’s available bandwidth and current network capabilities and status. Incidentally, it’s why I set my player to the three most recent episodes for any podcast I listen to.

I listen to about 12 podcast on a semi regular basis. (I drive a lot. And I don’t sleep. ) This is the only one with that delay. It’s like there’s a big empty air space for 20 to 60 seconds at the beginning of every podcast. Now that I figured out it will eventually start, it’s annoying but not a dealbreaker