Please help me to keep my kitchen clean

This lady uses a colander - cheap, and with different diameters - but no handle.

Or a wall of silicone

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #23

I have an inexpensive splatter lid from ikea sort of a fine metal grid/mesh. it is very big and fits all my pans and pots easily.

(Susan) #24

Well I just tried the colander method and it worked a treat. There was a small amount of splatter when I removed it to flip my bacon, but still 90% better (less mess) than before. Thanks for posting.:smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #25

Looks like something I might have to add to my kitchen thanks for posting.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

The only problem with our automatic floor cleaner is that itā€™s too large for the cats to ride. . . .

My colanders were in use - so I used a metal sieve.
Perfect: the right diameter - no greasy drips off the protruding edge; holes for the steam - so crisp frying; a handle; it can be dishwashered; a new use - now Iā€™m not sieving flour for fancy sponge cakes - I rarely made a cake, but stillā€¦

And itā€™s FREE - splatter sieves cost anything from five to thirty quid.

I am a very happy bunny.

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

I will have to try mine. I have one that is very fine I use to strain my bone broths with, it would be perfect. Costco even has sets of them in different sizes, might need to get a set to fit all the skillets and pans.
I did check out the silicon cone mentioned above but reviews of it were not good so I passed, this idea has a lot of promise. Thanks for mentioning this.

(Mike W.) #29

Have you tried baking your bacon? Itā€™s the only way I cook it now. No mess and it comes out perfect. I prefer a cold oven, 400 degrees, for about 20 minutes.

(Susan) #30

No I havenā€™t. I usually bake sausages or burgers as I nearly always end up burning them if I fry them, so will try that. Thanks for the tip.

(Charlotte) #31

A bit of an upfront expense, but if you can manage it, I canā€™t recommend the Instant Pot enough. A decent-quality knockoff would probably do just fine as well. Itā€™s cut down on kitchen mess significantly for me, and is a huge time-saver to boot. You can sautee, steam, pressure-cook, etc all in the same high-walled pot.

If that is too much of an expense, simply sauteeing stuff in a high-walled pot rather than a pan can help a lot to mitigate grease splatter. For shallower pans, splatter screens do help, and donā€™t worry about the huge diameterā€“itā€™ll balance just fine on a small or large pot. Thereā€™s also this type of splatter guard as an alternative, which I have been considering but havenā€™t actually tried. It has good reviews and is a much less bulky option:

Have you actually used one Charlotte?

(Charlotte) #33

The frywall? No, thatā€™s why I said I havenā€™t tried it. Iā€™ve heard good things, though. The Instant Pot I use pretty much daily at this point, and I do have one (enormous) standard splatter screen that does the job when I need it on all my pans.

Iā€™ll read better next time!

(Charlotte) #35

No worries at all! I just wasnā€™t sure which thing you were referring to.

(Susan) #36

Well, I had a look on Amazon and have bought an instant pot in the sale! Have used it first time today for pot roast beef - was a little scary with all that steam, but I survived, and the meat is so tender. Iā€™ll maybe attempt cooking bacon in it tomorrow morning.

Reading through all these posts, it was a choice between getting a dog or an instant pot - the pot won this time.