Planning a 40 day fast starting July 17

(Marie Gibbs Anderson) #1

I am planning to start July 17,2017, basically because I have a vacation planned the week of July 10. I am just under 400 pounds so I have plenty of reserve fuel. My concern is that I have a lot of cramping during my 48+ hour fasts, and am working on figuring out how to alleviate them. I’ll be getting bloodwork before and discussing my plan with my doctor, who supports my keto diet. I haven’t brought up the fasting yet, but I feel like that won’t be an issue with him. I’m drinking easily a gallon of water a day fasting, and have ordered electrolyte replacement tablets from Amazon. I thought tablets might be better than some of the drinks or other options because it will remain calorie free. I am loving the control over food that I have now since starting Keto March 27 this year and would never be considering fasting without it. For those who have done multiple day or week fasts before, is there anything I should do in the week prior (aside from staying keto) that could help make it smoother?

(Tom Seest) #2

Is your cramping at night? You might want to explore using spray on Magnesium, as I find it helps relieve cramps. If you are wanting to check your electrolytes, have your doctor run “RBC” or “Intracellular” electrolyte tests, as they test the amount of electrolytes absorbed in the cells and not just in the blood stream. Some people have adequate electrolytes in the blood, but they aren’t properly getting into the cells.

(Marie Gibbs Anderson) #3

I have changed my mind about a 40 day fast. I just broke at 72 hours because I was feeling so awful. I think I have to accept the fact that my body is pretty danged toxic. This morning I was a t 384. I have been in ketosis since April 1 (Started keto in the last 3 days of March 2017). I need to do some more frequent shorter fasts I think. Next week I’m just doing keto IF without fasting more than 18 hours because of my work/life schedule. Then the next Monday I’ll fast and see how it goes. When I get back from vacation and start again on the 17th I’ll fast and see how long I can deal. I am trying to get healthier, and letting my body take care of itself in little bursts may be the best I can do for now.

(Jennifer) #4

That is a good plan. The more you fast the easier it will get. Keep us updated!!

(James storie) #5

When you fast, do you take salt a couple times a day? I find this helps with cramping, hunger, and just that icky feel! I use course sea salt that I put a heavy pinch on my tongue and let melt.