Pickled sausages....plus recipes?

(Bob M) #1

I went to a farmer’s market in Troy, NY, USA. Picked up some pickled sausages, which I had never heard of – did not know you could pickle sausages.

They are good, once you get over the taste of vinegar with your sausage. In particular, a nice addition to my beef lunches. They add a bit of flavor.

Anyone make these? I was thinking of trying this recipe:

Recipe for pickled sausages

Anyone have any other recipes to share?

Honestly didn’t know that was a thing, but they sound great. I love pretty much anything pickled, so I doubt this will be any different. Will likely give it a try myself : )

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

I haven’t heard of pickled sausage, but I have had vinegared beef.

Not to mention chicken Savoy at the Belmont Tavern in Bloomfield, New Jersey (marinated in vinegar and some spice, which I now forget; possibly tarragon). It’s an acquired taste, but one a lot of people have acquired, and the license plates on the limousines out front are from states all over the Northeast.

(Bob M) #4

Thanks, @PaulL, that sounds great. Here’s a recipe for it:

https://rickrodgers.com/recipe/chicken-savoy/

@ElgynsToy If you’re a fan at all of vinegar, these really are good. I don’t think I could have them as a main meal, but as a “snack” (where I’m still hungry after dinner) or to put on something, even a salad, they’re great. Kinda like pickled eggs: can use them a lot, just not survive on them.

(Bob M) #5

Well, really wanted to try that recipe for Chicken Savoy. But went to see this:

Did not get back until 2am, then had to work, then take a nap…and got up too late to cut up chickens and make this.

I just read this now! Wow. Never heard about such things or would imagine they are a thing! :smiley:
I am interested.
The recipe sounds easy enough for me, I will do this!

I just need to manage to find some proper vinegar and the right type of sausages (I have cooked sausages, no idea about the smoking but it’s a moot point as they are thick and extremely flavorful and they are best warm, definitely not for pickling. I eat them with mustard so vinegar is still present ;)).

Thanks to share it with us, it has the potential to be a lovely thing in my life… I don’t think I would use it often but here and there, sounds promising.

(Bob M) #7

I’ve found it adds an interesting taste to my lunches. I had a mixture of meat a few times last week, and the pickled sausage really gave it some flavor.

There’s a Polish deli near where I work that sells smoked sausage, and I might go there to get some for this recipe. Though I plan to also use other sausages.