Picanha?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

How many of you have had this ???
To be quite honest, this stuff is SO expensive, that I’d have probably never had the confidence to buy it, and cook it properly, if it were not for Souse Vide, but now that I’m into SV, I’m thinking I might just have to splurge sometime in the future, to see what this whole picanha rage is all about :slightly_smiling_face:

For those of you that have had it, where did you get it, and how much did you pay per lb ???

(Bob M) #2

I’ve never even heard of it. Interesting:

(Ethan) #3

It’s really no more expensive than any other cut… Butcher Box has it, too.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

Really ? But I had heard that it was dry aged for 1 month… and most places where you can order it online are charging like $30 or more per pound ?

OR, is it Wagyu beef that I’m confusing with being super expensive ?

And the big question then, can I walk into a Costco, or Sams club and buy this ? And would they call it Picanha ? Or rump cap, or culotte ?

All I can say is, Guga and his crew just constantly rave about the stuff !

Okay, did some quick research and answered my own question :slight_smile: So this will be my next purchase… and Souse Vide experiment :slight_smile:

Cap on, of course, tastier and cheaper !
BTW, prediction here… If this blows up and becomes everyones “Fillet Mignon”, the demand will go way up, and so will the price ! Just like what happened with tip with tri tip…

(Bob M) #5

Top sirloin is a very lean meat. If you’re concerned about macros (I’m not), then you might want to add fat somehow.

The ones you’re showing don’t have much fat on them.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #6

I’m not super concerned with macros, but I do make a conscious effort to keep my fats up… rather than trying to keep my proteins down :slight_smile: And carbs ? What is this poison they speak of ? :wink: lol

The one labeled fat cap on, is probably flipped over with the fat cap on the other side…

And then yea, up until this morning, I would have probably added a bunch of butter to the Souse Vide bag, but after seeing the butter experiment on the Souse Vide Everything channel, I guess I would just put a couple big slabs of butter on the finished product :slight_smile:

BTW, I just called Sam’s club, and they only had “center cut Sirloin”… So I need to look into this to see how different this is ? Or, if I need to find Top Sirloin Cap steak somewhere else ?

(Bob M) #7

For something like this, you might consider going to a butcher, at least initially. That way, you get human interaction and can ask questions, eg, Do you have this? If so, what do I ask for and what cut of beef is it?

There are so many different cuts, and the names of the cuts can vary by the part of the country you’re in (and obviously, the country).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

Bam ! Local Raley’s right around the corner… Just talked to the butcher, and he said he can cut any size Top Sirloin Roast, up to 10 or 12 lbs… cap on, for $6.99 a lb… On sale next week for $5.99 a lb :wink: Or he can cut it into any thickness steaks I’d prefer … which I’m sure he could do straighter and cleaner than I could…
He also knew all about Souse Vide, and owns and uses one himself :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Jinx… :slight_smile: lol

(George) #10

This is probably my favorite meat. I don’t buy it in stores, I get my fill when I go to churrascarias, which is pretty often LOL.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

I didn’t see that, but came to that conclusion myself because what you end up with is meat flavored butter mixed with the liquid. Fat chains do not penetrate protein structures so it’s all outside of the meat. You end up drying the final product with a paper towel before searing too…:face_with_monocle:
So I always do searing afterwards with the fat added and also I don’t see any benefit to the double sear with sousvide. I salt the meat in the bag always. I’m doing a boneless leg of lamb right now, wrapped around a bunch of rosemary, spearmint and oregano branches from my garden. I made an herbal pesto yesterday with those herbs plus fresh lemon thyme, garlic, chili flake, black pepper, and salt pickled lemon.

I started it yesterday at noon 131F. for 30 hours. I’ll be up in the mountains most of the day and come home to feast later today. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

Sounds awesome ! :slight_smile: Have fun in the mountains !

PS, But hey, I did save that butter flavored gravy, and poured probably a 1/4 cup of it over my steak, and let it run into my broccoli too :slight_smile: SO flavorful :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

It was awesome Chris, really nice day. Great to come home to ready to eat meat!

:yum:

:cowboy_hat_face: