Phinney and Volek on Yogurt

food

(Krystle ) #1

In the book, The Art and Science of Low Carb Living on page 220, they state in response to using a lot of yogurt

Basically saying to ignore nutrition labels carb contents for live cultured yogurt products because it lists pre-cultured carb amounts. I’m curious if anyone has more information or science to back this up and what accurate carb amounts would be for purchased products. This would be great because I currently have about a tablespoon per day of Maple Hill Grass Fed Organic Kefir because I calculated it has about as many active cultures as my probiotic pill. Also Trader Joe’s sells an organic grass fed cream top plain yogurt it would be nice to fit in more often.

Sounds similar to cheese. Fresh cheese has more carbs than aged cheese. Lactose is lost when the whey is poured off, and then the remaining lactose is slowly converted to lactic acid as it ages.

(Madge Boldt) #3

I learned this back during my first experience with Atkins and low carb dieting in the 90s. I had read somewhere that for plain yogurt, you can deduct 8g sugar from the count as long as it has active live cultures. The lactobacillus “eats” the lactose, converting it to lactic acid which is not a sugar. This is why plain yogurt is tart.

I can’t really find anything that backs up my deduction of 8g per cup. These articles say that the sugar content of plain yogurt after fermentation is 4g/cup

There are so many variables with fermentation. I used to make kombucha and I would let it ferment longer than the norm so that it would have time to eat more of the sugar. I imagine it is the same with plain yogurt. We are a bit dependent on the food manufactures for the fermentation time. Wouldn’t it be nice if they’d all measure the sugar after?!

Low carb yogurt options for a keto diet

Why fermented milk products are different

(Krystle ) #4

Thanks, I guess it’s a case of experiment and see what happens. It’s pretty cool though that it can be used with caution. I was thinking for dressings or small amounts with raspberries.

Kite Hill makes a yogurt (their unsweetened, plain one - not the Greek) that has 1 g of carb. It’s not very yummy but with a touch of artificial sweetener if you can tolerate it makes it work for now and again.

(Vincent Hall) #6

Most useful link there Madge many thanks.
\v/

(Jay AM) #7

You could test the effects with a blood glucose meter.