Period cramps and headache since I started Keto ...should I go on?

(TeiShino) #1

Hi all, I’m 44 and have been on bcp because my doctor asked me to in order to avoid relapse of endometriosis which I had 4yrs ago on both sides of my ovaries.

I started keto three months ago, the first two weeks were heaven! I hadn’t felt that energetic for a few years. Lost 2kg in the second week without exercise but I didn’t lose more weight since then. My weight was between 54.5-56.5kg since then.

What happened in the third week of keto journey was I started having period cramp and my period came one week early. I wasn’t too concerned but that on and off spotting and period lasted about three weeks.

My second period happened more or less in the same way but PMS was worse than the first time. It also lasted about 3 weeks.

My third period is now and it started since Feb 1st. First two weeks was ok but in this third week, the flow was stronger and my pms is killing me. The headache and cramp…in the second week, I took sushi and dim sum in order to a break so I had two carbs dinner. I went back to keto diet after that.

(Allie) #2

Keto rebalances your hormones so often causes period issues short-term. Stick with it, you’ll thank yourself afterwards.

(TeiShino) #3

Thanks. I’m hoping to see that reset happen because I have always been sick the past few years.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

It often seems to take a while for women’s hormones to re-regulate themselves. There are plenty of threads about it in our Health forum. They make horrific reading if you’re a guy, but you ladies seem to be tougher than we are, lol!

Anyway, it does seem that if you can ride out the initial craziness, the subsequent results make it all worthwhile.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #5

I suspect the endometriosis indicates you had some hormone balance problems to begin with. So the rebalancing phase may be worse in your case… but. Most women find that once they get past that things are better than ever. If you had PCOS be careful! Keto babies are a thing because women were used to infertility, and that’s resolved. Also women who had recently entered menopause start periods again for a while. So I’d stick to it for a while. Anyway, the adjustment period should just be a few months. You are probably close to the end of that.

(TeiShino) #6

Thanks, I like the comments and support I can find here! There’s no one around who is doing keto so I feel helpless and lonely :see_no_evil:

(TeiShino) #7

Thanks Ruina! What you said makes me feel my current suffering is justifiable haha. I feel hopeful and less scared now. I’m supposed to start my bcp today but I wonder if I should start it on day 1 of my next period coz my bcp did not sync with my menstrual period in the past two months🤔

Thanks for the reminder on Keto babies as well…I couldn’t imagine having a baby now

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

That said… if it keeps going on, get some advice from someone more qualified than a random person on the internet. (Me. I’m the random person on the internet.)

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Check out https://ketowomanpodcast.com/
Daisy addresses everything female related plus great keto information for anyone.

Daisy also has a FB page if you are into that sort of stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/kickarseketob1tches

I am over a year on keto and have had more issues with my period now than before. However, I attribute it to pre menopause and not keto. I am 42 so I am right in that range to start these issues (shorter, random cycles, spotting etc). I have an appointment next month with my GP to discuss this but she is anti keto so i will see how this goes. Good luck.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

Welcome to the forums P_Bash.

When I went through menopause, I started eating lower carb, not Keto, but 40c/30P/30f. It helped me a lot and I lost weight doing that. Keep my ranging hormones in check most of the time, only had hot flashes sporadically. Use only the good oils, butter, lard, EVOO, & avocado oil, lots of greens, some berries, and rich sources of protein and you should do fine.

All the best sorting yourself out.

Thanks. This is actually my second account here. I tried to get back into my old one @Pbash but I couldn’t get a password reset sent to me. But, now I can have a picture attached to my account so it is even better now.

(TeiShino) #13

Thanks

(TeiShino) #14

Hi, so what did your doctor say?! I’m due for a check up in two months. Feeling nervous haha

It is not until next Monday so I will have to keep waiting a bit longer. But, I will keep you posted.

(TeiShino) #16

Hope your results come back good

No results here. I am going to do some checks of my hormone levels and an ultrasound sound just to be on the safe side. But. I won’t really know the results for a few months. However, she was not too concerned and thinks it may just be due to the 45 lbs of fat loss.

(TeiShino) #18

Thanks. My period didnt come last month, ha! I wouldn’t expect that at all because it has never happened to me. Now I am experiencing severe backache, seems like it’s due to pms… couldn’t sleep well for a few days.
Just got knocked out from ketosis two days ago for the first time in three months (using urine strip test) probably due to a meal I had at my friend’s place over Easter.

I’m thinking whether I should stop keto for a month and then have my annual gyne check up :thinking:

I happened to read this topic and thought I’d share my observations. First off, how are your cycles lately? Any improvement in regularity or PMS?

I’m well into post-menopause, but I suffered a lot of menstrual discomfort in the past and was always experimenting with remedies. (Never successfully, unfortunately!) I often suspected my symptoms were related to a magnesium imbalance. Many people on this forum develop a need for supplemental magnesium when in ketosis, so I wonder if magnesium is also an issue for you here. It’s possible that a LCHF formulated diet is a better fit for you than keto at this point in your life.

(TeiShino) #20

Hi there, thanks for sharing! I have indeed being doing LCHF since two months ago becoz of several reasons.

I experienced a lot of menstrual discomfort the first 3 months like continual bleeding, fatigue, abdominal pain, and headache. I started eating more carbs few days before my period in the fourth month, pms seemed less intense.

I changed to LCHF in the sixth month becoz in the fifth month instead of having heavy flow, my period didn’t really come. my period didn’t come in the sixth and seventh month, which is last month, even though I still experienced fatigue, breast swelling, and mood swings. I felt a bit stressed with the messed up menstruation this half year. Questioning myself whether I’m doing the right thing to my body.

I had Pap smear and annual ultra sound check up last month becoz I had endometriosis few years ago. The results came back fine so I felt a little less concerned. I asked my gyne whether I’m having menopause becoz I didn’t really have menstruation recently. He said I will not go into menopause as long as I’m still taking my birth control pills. Hm… anyway, I didn’t tell him I had a diet change haha.

I’m still doing LCHF but after talking to some other members on this forum about my hair loss, another really concerning issue, I will need to increase my protein and maybe calories too. Did you experience the same? I tried taking biotin but it caused discomfort or numbness in my thighs and arms.

Another interesting thing is I didn’t really lose weight, I went from 125lb to 120lb +/- 2lbs now. How about you? I was hoping to go back down to 115lbs… were you able lose a lot of weight?

As for the magnesium part, after taking magnesium citrate for 135mg (one capsule) a day (two capsules per day once or twice a week when I feel like I need more), pms headache seemed to have disappeared becoz that bothered me the most. After that, I had leg cramp and I got it fixed by taking electrolyte powder with 1000mg potassium.

I would love to hear more about your experience becoz I am still a bit confused with all the changes in my body and not sure how to put myself on the right track.