People with 30 or less pounds to lose...can you “weigh in”?

(David) #42

I love reading your posts. They are always a good reminder of something more powerful happening beneath the surface when we stop getting in our own way.

Thank you and I’m so glad. Here’s to life!!!

(MW) #44

(Update to my earlier post) As of last Wednesday, my A1C has dropped to 5.3! Finally out of prediabetes! After sharing the news with my parents, both of whom have full-blown type 2 diabetes, my dad actually said he wanted me to teach him keto. I sent him a bunch of YouTube links to start with. Hopefully I can get both of them on the keto train and with luck and lots of prayer, just maybe get them out of diabetes and off of their meds in the next year or two.

I started keto at #124 at 5’5", almost one year ago (May 29, 2017). I am now 113#, and lost 7% body fat (DEXA measurements). My intention to trying keto was for cancer prevention…then I learned about all the other benefits. I am now focused on body recomposition, as I’d like to build more muscle and gain strength. Nuts are NOT MY FRIENDS! They seriously derail me and my digestion. I eat lots of green leafy veggies, both cooked and raw. Non-starchy veggies, which I rotate, and add fresh herbs to everything! I eat mostly plant-based, with fish and occasional grass-fed beef. I have occasional blackberries/raspberries and sweet potato (keeping portions within my macros.) I feel great and maintaining my weight is effortless. I have lowered my fat macros over time, which has helped with fat loss (increased my protein too). I exercise everyday and meditate too. Mindset has been a huge part of my transformation. Working on habitual (emotional) eating patterns has been a game changer. Also, I fast minimum of 36 hours, twice a month. I have done 96, 88, 48 hour fasts as well, but don’t feel so well after those longer than 48 hours. I IF most days, 16:8.

June 22, 2018 UPDATE: Latest Dexa scan: Now down another 2% body fat, gained 4 lbs of muscle, at same weight, 113. My fat ratio fluctuates, and my protein stays up. I am extended fasting for max 36-48 hours once a month to every 6 weeks. All seems to be working well for me. Labs are great too, with expected uptick in LDL. ApoA/B within in optimal range, so no worries there.

(Tori) #46

I’m new here. I am 32 y/o, 5ft 160, I would like to lose 30lbs I started some where between 165-167 depending on the scale. I only consider 5lbs weight loss. This is week 3 keto. I started keto primarily for the weight loss, and secondary for the other great health benefits. I’m struggling to stick with keto due to not dropping the weight as quickly as I anticipated. I may be switching to Atkins temporarily to get the majority of my weight off.

desertcg34- that’s really good news & I hope your parents get on board!
Only 3.5lbs to go for me now- have had a couple of weeks with fasting 24- 48hrs, twice a week, & overall stuck; as in gain a couple of pounds over a weekend when not fasting, lose it back during the week with fasting. This week I’ve done a 36hr fast, felt rotten, so had a good eating day, then a currently 48hr fast, felt amazing & the scale has shifted 1lb lower, so 2.5lbs to go… does feel like a big effort to get to my target I have to admit, but people on here say mixing it up once you’re fat adapted can work, so I’ll try doing different fasts/ eating days.

(Wendy) #49

I have about 20-25 pounds left to lose and will be thrilled if it happens in the next 6 months or so. I have confidence that if I just continue eating keto and IFing it will happen!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #50

I have about ten pounds to lose. Looking forward to getting fat adapted!

(CharleyD) #51

I read this year, in vitro it was shown that fat cells can change into muscle cells given the proper hormonal triggers or signals.

I doubt we would see this on a grand scale within our own bodies, that would be chaos, but it gives me hope that we are not locked into how we currently look, or are composed.

And that epigenetics is a lot more powerful than we could have imagined.

Eat right, play hard, rest harder and you’ll be fine!

(Cindy) #52

I’m at my goal weight after 5 months on keto. Interestingly though, my measurements are smaller than they used to be at this weight and my legs are more muscular. So I think keto does help get rid of excess fat better and preserve muscle! It feels pretty amazing!

(Cindy) #53

It would be so cool if you’re right, Dipper! Hope!

(Cindy) #54

You can do it, Wendy!!!

I need to lose around another 10 pounds, playing it by ear. At 5-1 and 134 pounds, I still definitely have abdominal fat, but I think it’s subcutaneous rather than visceral-- I can actually feel little individual fat globules! My waist is still 32 “, but it was 37” when I started, so, improvement.
I started in January at 171 pounds and a fasting insulin of 37. That was what got me to get really serious about fixing my metabolic issues and issues with reactive hypoglycemia and hopefully losing weight too. At 67, it’s never too late to start!

(Jennifer Kleiman) #56

I lost 100 lbs about 2 years ago and got down to 145ish, which for me at 5’4" was a little higher than I’d envisioned as a goal weight. Actually when I was at my heaviest I was only 5’2" so I always thought 125ish? Or less? But 145 turned out to be incredibly stable, I even went through skin reduction surgery and had 6 lbs of flesh literally cut off but stayed at 145 even so. I was hoping it was just swelling from the surgery which lasts 6-12 months but that was on May 31 2017 so I got impatient earlier this year and tried to lose some bodyfat with basically no success, I’d lose a few pounds and put them right back on. In conversations with @Karen discovered I had all the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism & got tested. My functional medicine doctor said my free t3 levels were the lowest she’d ever seen! Anemia too. Well I’ve been working on fixing those problems and finally gotten my thyroid & iron levels into the normal ranges though still on the low end. It seems to have made a huge difference, I’ve finally been able to get into the 130s and cut some inches off my waist. So, 136-138 lbs now and I have high hopes for making the scale move further. I would be so happy to finally get rid of my pudgy middle! I think the rest of me is pretty lean but damn belly fat!! Go away!