People with 30 or less pounds to lose...can you “weigh in”?

I’ve been keto for 9 weeks now, have lost about 10lbs, although at least 5lbs of that was water weight after a overeating badly on carbs before I started! I’m not sure after the first couple of weeks if I’d have lost weight on just keto; I’ve been doing ADF for a while so stuck with that. I’ve found longer fasts possible with the keto, so for example last week did 2 x 48hr fasts, & hopefully will today as well. I’m getting there with fat adaptation, not sure if I’m totally there as I’ve been quite messed up with food in the past- I could still easily overeat & don’t seem to have a cut off switch, but it’s a lot psychological!
I’ve got a number in my head of 110lbs, 4 lbs still to go- I’m 5’1". But I still have a very flabby lower half! I’m getting more exercise now after a few injuries/ ill health, so need to go slowly- hopefully I can get into maintenance & body recomposition very soon!
Good luck to everyone else who’s nearly there!

(ANNE ) #22

I had 16kg to lose at the start of January. So far 10 kg down, and the last 6 is taking it’s sweet time.
I was teetering on the edge of Type 2 diabetes, and had so little energy for activity, I had been reading a lot about keto way of eating, and decided to give it a go. Since January I have read much more and it is helping me to stick to the eating for life and along the way hopefully encourage a few others to follow.
The weight loss has eased up rather a lot since April, and I have now introduced a one meal a day (OMAD) three times a week, on work days. It helped moved a weight stall on. I have changed my goals along the way, as I have read others experiences on this forum. And I now aim to lose the weight very slowly at about 500g - 1 kg a month. As it seems that to try to get to my goal weight of 58-59kg any faster would be unrealistic. It takes time for the mind to adjust the habit of eating the right foods, and forget that I am not “dieting”, but just having my meals like any other person.
I test daily on pee sticks to see for ketones, and if in doubt, I will check a blood stick. So far not flipped out of ketosis except for a couple of days at Easter when I allowed a feast day to be that! But I did not fall off the wagon, but just walked along side it for a day! I would say I am fat adapted now, no hunger on days of only one meal. No blood hypoglycaemic symptoms since starting keto. All the meals I cook for my family are keto in nature, I cook the carbage for them as needed, but I make less now, and their carb portions are smaller.
Slowly trying to swap them over, my husband is thinking of joining me. But I have asked him to read Dr Fungs books and Jimmy Moore’s Keto clarity before switching over. I had enough of him telling me calories in/ out, just exercise more… it is a soul destroying mantra.
Now I actually feel like being more active!

(Sheri Knauer) #23

When I started keto, I was around 140 ( I had lost about 17lbs in 6 months using the typical low fat, calorie restricted approach) just before starting keto in Aug 2016. I quickly lost about 25 lbs so by Dec I was 115, and actually got down to 113 at my lowest (Im 5’6"). Now at almost 1.5 years since my lowest weight, it has regulated to between 120-125. I work out regularly (and have for 27 years) so even though my weight is creeping up a bit, I am still losing fat but gaining lean muscle and working on body recomp.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #24

Wow, One question - you said your body starts producing the growth hormone at 36 hours in. How long do you have to fast after that to get the benefits? And how often do you do it?

(Cindy) #25

I started keto 16 weeks ago. I’m 5’3" weighed 132, and now weigh 118. I didn’t lose weight at first, and couldn’t even get into ketosis until I got my carbs down to 15-20. That took me over a week to figure out. Then I quickly lost 8 lbs, but got stuck after that. I kept my carbs religiously at 15, increased my fat, and lost 4 more lbs over 4 more weeks. Then I got stuck for over 2 weeks, and gained a pound back, than another. At that point, I was reading about the Mito-Keto diet where he recommends calorie restriction and gives a calculator for how many calories a person should be eating daily. The calculator said that a 5’3" person who weighs 115 (my old and target weight) should eat 1050 calories. So I lowered my calories to that, dropped the pounds I had gained back, plus 2 more quickly - plus my ketosis is much stronger, even when I wake up in the morning. So I think for my size, this is the level of eating that I need to stick with. I do worry about shutting my metabolism down, so I’m keeping my fat a bit higher than normal - more like 80% or even a bit more of my calories is fat. My protein is strictly what the calculators say I need. I let myself go up and down with veggies to try to keep my metabolism up. I have no idea if this will work in the longterm, but for now it’s working. Hopefully I’m not making a big mistake!

(Todd Allen) #26

I’m down 40 from where I started. The first 20 went fast and easy. The second 20 were more challenging and I lost them twice - practice makes perfect… My body isn’t keen to give up the last 20 but now I feel time is on my side. All I need to do is not gain for 3 weeks each month and then make a push with fasting or near fasting to hit one pound lower on the scale than I reached the month before. I expect to be more than half way to goal in just one more year. I’m not hung up on perfection and I think it is better to focus on enjoying the journey than obsessing about the destination.

(Shantanu) #27

I started on Mar 6, 2017 at 285 LBS and at 6’7", I set my goal at 220 lbs for a BMI (for whatever that is worth) of 25. I have since revised my goal to get from 40%+ BF to 24% BF. This morning I was 235 lbs and probably 32% BF. I had been in the 238 - 240 band for nearly 3 months but have lately gone down a bit. I am not frustrated about not getting to 220 because my HDL is the highest it has ever been and my TGs the lowest ever, so big NSVs right there. I have also been strength training since Sep, 2017 and I can finally see very visible muscle definition. I have now more or less stabilized on a 4 hour eating window. I know that I will eventually get there but I’m enjoying the journey for all the other benefits like freedom from hunger, boundless energy, 8 hours of good quality sleep and clothes fitting really well. And tons of bacon :grinning: . I would love to lose a couple more inches of my waist and lose that very obdurate layer of fat right below my belly button, but will keep calm and keto on and it will happen.

(Adam Kirby) #29

I’ve lost around 30 pounds. I started 20 lbs overweight by BMI. I’d say it took around a year to initially lose the weight, with a large stall happening after I lost 12-14 lbs. I’m still slowly getting leaner, and experimenting with things like 2-day fasts and protein fasts. I’m also a guy which probably makes my experience easier than that of women with 30 lbs to lose.

(Erin Wilson) #30

I generally fast twice a week, for 40 hours at a minimum. I use the protocols suggested by Dr Jason Fung and Megan Ramos of the IDM Clinic. They’ve both been interviewed by Carl and Richard several times. The info on their blog is great and is really all you need to know to get started. They have a book, The Complete Guide to Fasting, which is also helpful. I’m linking the most applicable blog post I can find below: Dr Jason Fung–Human Growth Hormone and IF

(What The Fast?!) #31

Wow! Amazing. Can you share what your typical day of eating looks like - do you stick with strict macros?

(Leslie) #32

A typical day for me starts at 7:30, I have black tea with a little lemon. No bulletproof anything but that’s just because I don’t like it. I fast until 2:30 in the afternoon. During the day I sip water with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice added, not a lot of either but enough that I know I’m getting those two additives.
Breakfast at 2:30 in the afternoon is one egg fried in kerigold butter, heavily salted and seasoned with a sea weed seasoning, half an avocado mashed with two tablespoons of butter also salted, half a pickle on the side, two ounces of raw cheese on the side one large sheet of roasted salted sea weed on the side and an eight ounce glass of spirulina powder in water.
I cook for the family and am back in the kitchen around 5:00 to get started because everything is whole and fresh. This has always made me want to munch so these days I have a portion of macadamia nuts with pecans and raw pumpkin seeds mixed in a heavy amount of butter and salt. It’s not a lot of nuts in total, but it’s crunchy and fat so my munchy need is quelled. I will also eat whole spoonfuls of coconut butter sometimes for the same reason.
Dinner for me is wild caught fish or sustainable seafood and leafy green veggies cooked in coconut oil.
Sometimes I eat my veggies with sour cream on them.
I’m never hungry. I eat based on what’s been working and knowing that my carbs must stay incidental and as close to zero as possible.
I’m really sorry but I have never measured anything
Eliminating carbs and eating fat is the key. I don’t have a sweet tooth so no issues there and if I do feel hungry, I eat another spoonful of coconut butter or another half an avocado mashed with butter

I hope you find this helpful
Keep calm and keto on

(What The Fast?!) #33

Thanks, I have been keto for over a year and I’m always interested in people who seem to have effortless results. This has not been the case for me but I try not to compare myself to others… I’ve tried everything under the sun. :slight_smile:

We have similar stats so I’m just curious what works for other people. Very happy for you!

(David) #34

I started 5 weeks ago looking to lose 28lbs. I am 6’ and was 202lbs. I lost 6lbs in the first week but then nothing for two weeks despite pretty consistent adherence to very low carb. Then suddenly in the fifth week I lost another 4lbs, then nothing again this week, maybe even up a little. I saw a good graph from Ken Berry on Instagram which showed a straight line going steadily down representing what people think keto weight loss is, next to a jagged line going steadily down but with ups and downs from day to day showing what it actually is. I’ve tried keto before with some success but fell off and put the weight back on. Now, I’m just trying to make it a permanent sustainable way of eating rather than having a Goal weight to achieve followed by a relapse.

(Robyn Wroot) #35

I’m definitely with you about not weighing. I’ve lost 3 inches since 3/16/18 and I can see everything getting slimmer. I’m excited to see if I’ve lost weight but inches are way more important in my journey. Good luck with dropping inches! :heart:

(Vladaar Malane) #36

I have hopefully only 20 pounds to lose yet, but it’s the stubborn tire around the belly and back. So, I might be disappointed and find that I have to lose 30 pounds to get rid of it. I’m 184 pounds now, I’d hate to have lose to 150’s that seems terribly bean polish at 5 foot 9 inches tall, but I’ll do it if I have too.

I’ve been stuck at 182 to 185 pound range for the last 6 months. I have been trying to stay with the Keep Calm and Keto On theory that eventually my body will stop trying to keep me in the 180’s and let me get lower. I think Richard and Carl explained the science of that in a podcast once, but I forget it. LoL. The other option was to do lots of Extended Water Fasting. I’ve done 7 days before and I’m kinda over fasting like that. I do intermittent fasting everyday anyway. It’s just having to be patient for the 20 years that I built up all that weight for it to come back off. I hope it doesn’t take 20 years to come off, LoL.

(Carolus Holman) #37

I too have been stuck at 185, down from 265 or so. I think my body set point is still too high. I need to drop at least another 10 pounds. I still have a belly roll, and it is stubborn. I am trying IF and EF to try and increase my BMR. You are right, it took years to get here, it may take years to get back.

(Rob) #38

This marks my 9th week of keto. My original weight loss goal was 20#. As of my last weigh in (I weigh every Friday) I had lost a total of 3 pounds. Carbs have consistently been below 20 gm, fat and protein in line. Resumed workouts at the 4 week mark.

I did some key measurements before starting keto but haven’t checked those yet. I’ll do that after the mirror suggests that I should…

Was somewhat disappointed by my lack of weight loss at the 4 week mark. After some encouraging words by some more senior members and doing additional reading that disappointment has waned.

I know the fat loss will come. A lot of what I thought I knew (reduce the calories, up the workouts) simply hasn’t worked. There are other tools I’ve found through reading and listening and it’s actually kind of exciting. I also realize this way of eating is not all about losing weight. That’s part of it … but it’s also inspirational to know you’re doing something for your overall health.

Not trying to sound overly positive or excessively optimistic, but while losing body fat is important to me, there are so many other positives to be had along the way.

Personally - I don’t believe in such a keto state as “stuck” or “stalled”. I think Industrialism has trained most of us to distrust the body and deny its many profound and subtle transformations.

The body is vast, magnificent, and intelligent in its mysterious repairs & regeneration - and it prioritizes cellular healing, bone density restoration, and lean mass gains to protect joints.

Thanks to keto physiology, I have burned off most back fat and now have a muscled back, have some new muscle mass in my chest, neck, and calves which indicates additional bone restoration too.

I also have longer eyelashes and thicker hair from eating collagen + Vit. C 1-3 times a week, along with enhanced high functioning brainz for a very demanding detail-oriented job. IE, beauty + brainz.

With the help of Ginger, my belly fat has started to recompose, digestion is fab, and have a radiant face when I wake up in the morning.

To me, this has nothing to do with weight and everything to do with recomposition.

MATH: 180 at 20% fat rather than 25% fat is a totally different body on my 5’10 frame and a difference of about 4 clothing sizes. My body is shrinking, and what I weigh seems to be ludicrously insignificant. However mainstream media women’s magazines at grocery checkout lines sure treat “weight loss” for the non-obese as if it is equivalent to health and as if it is worthwhile to be a size 2 or 4 emaciated model. It most certainly is not equivalent to health, just look at your average lean smoker or heroin addict… or type 1 diabetic!!!

Also, the more lean mass we have (bone density, muscle mass, and connective tissue) the more protected we are as we age chronologically. A major cause of death and decline in the folks who make it their elderly years in this culture is joint instability and muscle weakness which create terrible falls, broken hips/wrists/ankles etc.

I don’t just want to be healthier as I chronologically age, I want to be STRONGERrrrrrrr. Ernestine Shepherd and Helen Mirren are some of my role models. :muscle:

(Laurie) #40

Thanks for your post. So helpful for those of us just starting this way of eating!

You’re very welcome, and I’m so glad! :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: