Pedal off the Gas

conversationstarters
food
carbs

(Melissa R. Knive) #1

So… I’m in a quandary… my body and doctor are telling me that I’ve done fabulous work with the Keto lifestyle and to keep going, but I also have an “acidic” feeling in my skin that I can’t get rid of. My doctor ran blood tests, confirmed my nice, low A1C 5.2 and confirmed what we expected, that I have an underactive Thyroid. My doctor fully supports my Keto and EF but would like me to stabilize a bit to see if that helps. So I obviously don’t want to go into my old carb-loading ways, and I don’t even want to fast right now… but how should I feast to get rid of this nasty “acidic” feeling without going too deep into Carb-land?

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by an ‘acidic’ feeling…can you elaborate?

(Melissa R. Knive) #3

Sadly, that’s the best description I can come up with… like sweating vinegar, I guess. Itchy but different. Burning but different…

But no rash? How is your protein intake?

(Melissa R. Knive) #5

I don’t seem to get visible rashes (I also don’t bruise easily at any point)… I roasted a whole duck I’ve been enjoying… Next is salmon and a rabbit (all in delicious fat, of course). I’ve also upped my pickles, olives, and artichoke hearts for the gut biome… I was prescribed antibiotics last month for this issue (by the alternate doctor in the office who I’m now trying to avoid) and I think I’m temporarily screwed… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::tired_face::hot_face:

Well I’m afraid I’m flummoxed @Melietcetera - some people get a keto rash & I know excess protein can cause some skin problems but I believe it’s usually itchiness :thinking:

Hopefully someone will be along with some clues for you.

I recently got kind of acidy skin, but I also got a rash from it. Because I really don’t normally have any kind of rash or skin issues, I suspected it was the 1T of organic apple cider vinegar I was drinking in a full glass of water in the mornings. When I stopped it the rash immediately cleared up. Could it be that you’ve upped some of those vinegary pickled things and your skin is reacting?

(John) #8

One way suggested (by Dr. Ramos, I believe) for skin rashes is to up your daily carb intake by eating more berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) for about a week. Cup a day if I am not mistaken.

(Brian) #9

I have no idea if it would apply or even be a good idea but I’ve heard of some people adding some baking soda to either the food or drinks that they consume.

(Melissa R. Knive) #10

I HAVE started doing that, but after this thing started… and pickles, et cetera, seem to help it, actually… :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bodies are weird!!!

(Melissa R. Knive) #12

I just bought some berries with the last of my money… so hopefully it works with less than that!!!

(Melissa R. Knive) #13

I generally have a bit of baking soda in warm water if I’m having acid reflux, but I seem to be fine on that front now… I’ll try more tomorrow if the berries don’t help. Thanks!