Pasta sauce (not Raos)

(Crippie) #1

I found a new low carb sauce instead of Raos. Going to try it tonight.

But the label confuses me

Total carbs: 4g
Fiber: 2g

So that’s 2g net carbs. But then it says 4g sugars?

So what gives? Which is it? 2g or 4g?

Something’s up with that!

(Samantha J Ross) #3

You’re supposed to subtract fiber from total carbs to get net carbs. So that’s correct! :slight_smile: let us know how it tastes.

(Lonnie Hedley) #4

But it doesn’t make sense. If there are 4g of sugar, net carbs shouldn’t be less than 4g. @Crippie if you’re tracking, I’d just go with 4g net carbs to be on the safe side. That’s what I do with my RAO’s. Track total carbs to just be cautious.

(TJ Borden) #5

Yeah, I’d figure the 4 g sugar to be safe

(Trish) #6

Check the ingredient list. Some of the sugar could be from a sugar alcohol so that could be the discrepancy.

(Georgia) #7

It doesn’t distinguish between natural sugars and added sugar. I would assume the sugar grams come from the tomatoes since sugar isn’t listed as an ingredient (but could be included in the spices or natural flavorings).

(matt ) #8

That’s not correct. This is labeled wrong (or at best oddly)

(This is for the Mario Batali)

Total = 4
Fiber = 2
Sugar = 4

Total should be 4+2=6 not 4

So I would end up going with 4 (net) just to hedge, Go with 6 if you if you count total.

(matt ) #9

There are no sugar alcohols in the ingredients list posted above.

Outside of the US and Canada most countries list Net Carbs rather than Total Carbs and I think that many food companies aren’t aware of this so I have noticed that many foods manufactured in other countries actually have net carbs listed even though it says “Total Carb”. Maybe that is why the label is incorrect?

(Crippie) #11

Company shows its based in Ohio, so not sure on that. :-/

(Samantha J Ross) #12

Oh, I see it should say “total carbohydrate 4” instead of 3, but you still don’t add the sugar on top of it.

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

@Samantha_J_Ross You seem to be confusing multiple posts. Nobody is adding sugar. We’re adding fiber to get a more realistic total carb. OP’s total carb should really be 6, net 4. And my RAO’s pic should be total 4, net 3.

(Samantha J Ross) #14

Yeah I was confusing the pics!