Pasta Dough for KitchenAid Pasta Press

(Thao Le) #1

So sad that Lowcarbsfriends forum is shutting down. It has so many good recipes. Here’s one recipe of Pasta that I love. It’s still cached page.
Copied from http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=820442

Continuing the discussion from the Asian Pork Patties thread…
Meet super low carb spaghetti and macaroni!!! (Pictures is 2 different batches but not all of what was made in either batch… we had already consumed a lot!)

The recipe I used was Buttoni’s dumpling recipe with the optional coconut flour for firmess added. Except when I quadrupled the recipe, I forgot to quadruple the eggs. I’m now going to have to try the recipe with more eggs. Thanks to Penguin for inspiring me to try this out too!

The taste and look is remarkably like the real thing. Amazing, really. It’s a bit blander than regular pasta so I recommend bolder sauces and just a bit softer in texture. They do smell a bit different too but it isn’t noticeable in a sauce topped dish. The strands/pieces hold their shape extremely well coming out of the press. The dough is quite easy to work with. If you find that the dough is too firm to extrude well (my spaghetti batch went through easily, the macaroni was having issues), I found that rolling the dough balls in a water dampened hand before dropping them into the hopper worked beautifully. They also keep awesomely well in the fridge as raw pasta. The dough cleaned up exactly like regular pasta- pull out the big bits and leave the smaller leftover bits in the machine for a few hours. They brush out easily with the provided brush.

Serves 8

1 lg egg
6 T glucomannan powder
6 T oat fiber
1 T baking powder
1/2 t kosher salt
2 t coconut flour
1 1/2 cups water

Beat egg in KitchenAid mixer bowl. Slowly mix in dry ingredients. Mixture will be a fine powder. Add water and mix until combined. Let sit for 8 minutes to thicken. Run through pasta press in hand-shaped balls that fit the hopper. Boil like normal fresh pasta.

The pasta is probably better cooked as needed instead of kept already cooked as leftovers. Uncooked noodles last at least a week covered in the fridge.

I boiled spaghetti 4 minutes in CHICKEN BROTH, drained them and buttered them before topping them with my tomato based sauce.

The only way I have tried the macaroni so far (which I subbed bouillon powder for the salt, which is why they are darker) is in the microwave and it worked but not as well as on the stove… a skin formed and looked weird until I drained and rinsed them. I imagine 5 minutes in boiling water/ broth is plenty though.

Buttoni’s dumpling recipe (https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/dumplings/) calculations made a 1/8th of my recipe (1 serving of pasta) 43 calories and .6 net carbs… but 3 eggs are missing from that recipe so… I’m thinking 16.75 calories and .375 net carbs. WOW.

OP:
Capture

(Jan) #2

I have gotta try this. Thank you!

(Thao Le) #3

I tried this recipes many times, used these pasta for chicken noodle soup. Let me know how it turns out Jan.