Pancreas and liver overload

keto
science
health

In a dispute about keto I couldn’t fend off one argument:
Digesting of fats is more involved for our body than carbs, in particular for pancreas and liver since there must be produced lot of bile acid to disperse fats and some other stuff which can lead to some organs’ failure.
Could anybody give some information on the regards (some link scientific source if possible).

Keto effects on a healthy gallbladder

Did the person telling you this have anything to back it up? Yes, you need bile to digest fats, but I don’t see how that would lead to organ failure. Bile is made up of cholesterol and bile salts and is recycled from the gut to the liver and back. I know the lack of fat in the diet will wreak havoc on the gallbladder. I lost mine doing a low fat diet in the 90’s.

Well, that person just followed “conventional wisdom” of fat being evil. Obviously she couldn’t back it up with real science but I couldn’t give and solid arguments either.
Thanks for your insights about liver and bile. Any comments about pancreas?

Yes, difficult to disprove a vague theory or prove a negative.

It appears the pancreas secretes enzymes to digest fat, protein, and carbs. https://opentextbc.ca/anatomyandphysiology/chapter/23-6-accessory-organs-in-digestion-the-liver-pancreas-and-gallbladder/

Is there a problem if that balance changes? No idea. I don’t know what disease to look for to see what might cause it. I think the average pancreas (and liver for that matter) is in far more danger from years of oversecreting insulin to deal with high carb loads.

Maybe @erdoke has some insight to pancreatic disorders.

Or maybe your friend thinks that visceral fat and NAFLD is caused by dietary fat? It’s actually a sign of insulin resistance.

(Gabor Erdosi) #6

Does lifting more weight with your arms result in biceps and triceps failure or rather in hypertrophy via adaptation?

(James Bond) #7

Yeah but you get stronger by hormesis, lifting weights 24/7 will be detrimental, probably the same holds true for ketosis :thinking:

(Gabor Erdosi) #8

Except that skeletal muscle was not designed for continuous operation, while energy utilization from whatever fuel source was.

(James Bond) #9

My main concern here is stress which is the main principal behind hormesis - punctuated, non-chronic stress. Gluconeogenesis is primarily driven by cortisol, which may not be ideal if chronically elevated.

(Miss E) #10

over a year since this thread died but just found it via a search. Any new comments to add?

(Bunny) #11

Recap:

1. Going (nose diving) into a Ketogenic, LCHF or high fat diet with a fatty liver or with pancreatitis (very dangerous on a LCHF-Ketogenic Diet)?

2. Determining whether or not you have fatty liver (NAFLD), fatty pancreas or pancreatitis?

3. Taking care of the fatty liver (reversing it) or pancreas (-itis: very difficult) issue first in addition to cutting down on sugar and starches before adding high fat to the diet? (…or you will become {end up} hepatically insulin resistant rather than physiologically (muscular) insulin resistant on a LCHF-Ketogenic diet?)

4. Making sure when you do go on a Ketogenic diet that your diet is high in Choline or Methionine (sourced from supplements, meats, veggies or offal etc?) when you do increase fat intake on LCHF\Ketogenic diet?

References:

1. 7 Strategies to Heal Pancreatitis Naturally