Palek Paneer / Saag Paneer

butter
spinach

(Ritchie Linden) #1

While I tried to fast last night the wife decided she wanted a takeaway, and after scouring thought the menus she decided on indian. I just couldnt help myself whan she asked if I wanted anything. I had 2 portions.

If you haven’t tried this before palek paneer is spinach with paneer cheese ( a bit like cottage cheese) with difference spices and chillis and most importantly butter.

I have looked for recipies for this and you could use cottage cheese but I think its one think a good indian restruant will always do better

(matt ) #2

This stuff is sooooooo good!

(suzanna) #3

I make a fabulous sag paneer using cream cheese “blobs” as my kids called them -added just before eating. Works great with frozen spinach even. I’m traveling so don’t have my recipe with me. But remind me in a week and I’ll post it. Also have curried eggplant that is awesome.

(jketoscribe) #4

My all time favorite Indian dish! It even makes up for not having naan!

I’m dying for a good recipe. I have made my own paneer before from half and half with a little bit of lemon juice for the coagulation, it’s not terribly hard, or you can buy it some places as well. It’s a nice cheese for frying–gets all crispy on the outside and has a nice chewy texture.

Hmm, I was wondering what I would do for lunch–now I’m thinking about heading to my favorite Indian restaurant. Craving!

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #5

Halloumi is a quick fix for the cheese in paneer - texture is different but it is fast and easy.

(Jeanette) #6

Not sure where you live but they are selling paneer cheese blocks in my grocery store now.

(Kristin Rogers) #7

I have made it with cubed chicken thighs, sauteed in a little of the same spices as the sauce.
Definitely wouldn’t do cottage cheese.

(Siobhan) #8

I have a recipe for this… asked my local indian restaurant for their recipe. Will post when I get home.

FYI… paneer is easy to make. Just need gallon of whole milk, cheese cloth, lemon juice, strainer. And some cans/weights.

(Wilka Hudson) #9

It’s bit a more than a week now :slight_smile: did you already post it somewhere? I tried searching, but didn’t find it.

(Regina M.) #10

Paneer is really easy to make at home. You just need milk and lemon juice. Here’s a recipe from Headbanger’s Kitchen. He also has several keto recipes using paneer.

(Siobhan) #11

I completely forgot about this… lol.
Here is the recipe I use, including recipe for garam masala, and paneer
I would also suggest using a stick blender to blend up the spinach mixture before adding the paneer because that gets closest to the texture at the indian place we go to

Also: We usually quadruple this recipe, it freezes awesomely!

saag paneer corrected recipe.pdf (72.8 KB)

(outlawpirate) #12

Palak Paneer is my FAVORITE Indian dish. I make it often for my Mom and I. My Indian pottery students taught me to make my own paneer (cheese) a few years ago. Believe it or not, it’s so simple! I double this recipe, cut it into about 8 sections, vacuum seal it with my Food Saver and freeze it. When I’m in the mood to make Palak Paneer, I pop out a frozen Paneer and defrost it in the fridge for a day.
Her is the recipe that I use. It is identical to th verbal recipe my Indian students gave me.

(outlawpirate) #13

And here’s my recipe for Palak Paneer that I have been making for years. It includes ingredients you can find at a typical American grocery store.

(Ethan) #14

I need to get this recipe to my wife. I love palak paneer.