OXtoberFest ZC Challenge

(Edith) #281

@FrankoBear and I both have problems with oxalate dumping on carnivore. I believe the dumping uses up our magnesium so we need extra when it happens.

You used to be a vegetarian. Vegetarians tend to eat a lot of oxalate. You could be experiencing dumping if you are sticking close to carnivore. When I dumped oxalate last month, I had to up my magnesium intake, from 400 mg/day to about 700 mg/day.

OK I have understand this?? 180g conversion to ounces comes out to 6.349 ounces of meat. This is not correct is it? Am I converting your protein amts wrong? I sure hope so. 1/2 lb. of protein per day is SO low but I am not sure if I am calculating that right LOL
just wondering.

I ate close to 3.5 lbs of meat yesterday and I lost 1/2 a lb. this morning on the scale :slight_smile: :slight_smile: so when I read I ate 180g of protein I think, huh? but again, I might be converting that number incorrectly.

ok just wondering on it all

Happy ZC morning…and BBBrrr in my area :frowning: ugh. Me want big sun, super hot heat day HAHA

Had ‘sicky feeling’ from a cold that is trying to creep in. Hubby went down the sick hole with damn near pneumonia but his meds are working and he is doing much better. Yesterday I got ‘icky’ and I can ‘taste that cold’ feeling in my head and chest ya know…so I dosed up big time. I took whatever I had in the house, little of this and that, aspirins thru the day, more of cold medicine, cough medicine and I point blank overdosed my body on crap meds HAHA And it worked, slept like a baby and woke up without the icky feeling and taste. Feel ‘better’

plus…I decided to eat yesterday. Eat big. Shore up my immune system.

Food was different than I planned but I ate up alot:

1.5 lb. NY strip steak
8 slices taylor ham
1/2 lb. hamburger…2 cheeseburger patties
1 tin of sardines
2 smaller chicken breast
8 slices of bacon
2 beef sticks

Yup and that weighed in at over 3 lbs. of meat and it was damn good eating it all too!! AND I LOST 1/2 lb on the scale this morning.

OMG I love my zero carb plan. More I eat the more I do lose and better I feel. Crazy but damn if this lifestyle don’t suit me to the utlimate :smile:

So feel bit better on icky head cold front and will take some aspirin today as a just in case…will eat well later too in this day, yup, food heals ya know :), and just going to take today kinda easy. Want another day of not pushing myself to be sure I get over the cruddy sicky around here.

I think I will be ok! Wee.

be good carnivores and when in doubt, eat and eat a bit more.

and where is SB? hmm, they must be working her way to hard! She needs to check in.

(Kellyn ) #284

What a fun night! When we got to the event everyone drew a paper from a bucket. One of these papers let the recipient know they were the murderer. We were given a script, a pad, and a pen. The host was dressed as a police officer. The police officer would ask each character a question and our script would let us know how to answer if we were innocent or guilty. Everyone else would take notes to decide who the killer was. My husband, Mr. Big, played his part well and even included an accent. No one guessed the killer in the end. It was the butler. We all had a good time and my husband and I are talking about doing it again. I did unfortunately go off plan a little at the event and tried various hor d’oeuvres. I was back on plan the next day though. I ran out of HWC Saturday morning and decided to go without this week to drop the additional pounds I gained from the event. This morning I ate 3 eggs and have had black coffee. I have hamburger patties to eat for lunch.

I don’t mean meat, I mean protein. The macro nutrient called protein. Meat has 20-25% protein? Probably sometimes less, I am not familiar with these numbers.
I ate 330g turkey, 85g duck (of course, nothing is exact), some eggs, cheese, and so on.
180g protein would be somewhere below 2 pounds of meat or 26-27 normal, 52g eggs (without shell of course). But I use a mix, I eat meat, eggs, cheese and other protein sources when I have 160-180g protein.

Thanks S for explaining that. I just see 180g protein and my mind goes right to meat weight LOL and I get that confused cause I just say I ate so many lbs of meat and never think ‘in protein terms’ ever…I figured it was something like that :slight_smile: appreciate the info on that, feel better you ate more than I thought HAHA

WOW those pics are just fab. You and hubby are smiling big and look like ya’ll had a wonderful time. Very cool, happy ya had a blast!!

Love your nurse outfit too. In fact the whole group shot everyone put some good work into their costumes. Love it!!!

Thanks for sharing great pics KP!

and the butler did it, too funny and no one guessed that :slight_smile:

ahhh, had to try some of the snacks did ya HA I get it. A few won’t kill ya but back on plan and raring to go zc. You got this easily. Just eat very good today to keep you on track as usual.

My real vegetarian times ended ages ago but I continued to eat almost zero meat and when I did keto, no meat, indeed. But it’s just the lack of meat…
I don’t really care about how vegetarians tend to eat as I ate as I ate, not as vegetarians ate. I think I was very far from the average vegetarian. But I ate some oxalates. Surely way less than many non-vegetarian ketoers as I hated spinach with a passion :smiley: But yeah, cocoa, peanuts… My amounts weren’t huge though and it’s even smaller now (November will be odd if I don’t say cocoa is a condiment/spice, at least in emergency :smiley: I have a very close relationship with cocoa and never went a long time without it. But as chocolate became meh and I drink coffee, not cocoa, my cocoa powder consumption is tiny). I am not in the mood to try to count my old oxalate consumption and I haven’t the foggiest idea what is normal for people anyway.

But I seriously doubt I will ever have problems with oxalate dumping, you guys wrote about horrible things (I don’t remember them just that they sounded very bad) and I had no problems this far. I only experience benefits, it’s like a dream. But I barely did anything yet (and still, so important and significant changes!). November will be more interesting but I am hopeful. If I survived 7 weeks on keto years ago (it wasn’t too hard but still, I never wanted to repeat it again and it really wouldn’t have been very useful in its original form), it will be a breeze doing a carnivore month. At least it should be.
Unless there will be something I don’t think about because I can’t possibly know about everything, it’s a new territory, I just extrapolate from my experiences. But it’s not reliable enough. My lowering carbs journey had some big surprise. Just because something seems logical, it isn’t necessarily true and people change, I surely did.

Maybe my very slow, on/off journey helps with oxalates too. I really don’t know. Or my body is just this resilient. I know too little about oxalates and their effects, I just don’t care, I try to do whatever feels good and I don’t really have problems when I change my woe. Knowing things is good but so many information and I am bad at this type of science.

I don’t have magnesium pills now so my intake stays way below 400mg/day from my food. I don’t care if my body makes sure it’s enough. When I tried carnivore in the beginning, I suddenly had no cramps when I went ketosis, it was a very big difference from usual… Then I had these on/off days with super little meat and I got cramps sometimes. Even not in ketosis and I never had that before (maybe the keto times depleted my magnesium reserves more, I don’t know). I will buy pills. But no way I supplement much magnesium, I am not that type. Taking a pill (maybe 250mg) once or twice a month when I get cramps is annoying enough. I hate supplementing stuff, it’s very strong in me and it’s expensive too, I could buy food with that money… I could get away with little supplements this far. Maybe I should do something but I see no options. I just hope that very rare cramps mean I am in not big trouble yet :wink: I know magnesium is very important but didn’t find a good enough food source for it.

If anyone feels the need to educate me, go ahead, I like to know things but it’s really too difficult to me to search for answers I probably won’t understand and don’t even personally need. I am so happy when someone makes something clear in a simple way. I am very intelligent according to a Mensa test but it doesn’t mean I understand anything Chemistry related. My interests and skills lay elsewhere even though I am interested in food and health.

(Heather) #289

I am wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for me. I have been carnivore since January 2020, keto for 15 months prior to that. I’m thinking I must be fat adapted by now.

Now, for my question - regarding exercise. I do strength training exercise. This is in the form of 3 slowburn reps over 8 sets working my arms. Between each set, I do 50 kettlebell swings with a 45 pound bell. So basically 400 swings throughout the course of my workout. I do this routine on Mondays and Fridays and it takes about 45 minutes each time. I do not do any other “intentional” exercise the rest of the week.

When I started doing this regimen (approximately 6 months ago), I was using weights that were lighter and I have progressed to heavier ones, which is the way it should be. However, now I feel as though I am getting weaker. I struggle to do the same number of kettlebell swings I was able to accomplish in the past and I haven’t been able to increase my weight on the arm sets for several weeks.

I don’t feel that I am doing an extensive amount of exercise, so I don’t really feel I need to take in a LOT of meat. I eat about 2 pounds of meat per day and I am satiated after each meal.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

(Edith) #290

Are you always doing the exact same exercises?

google this:

Dr. Kevin Stock , a strict carnivore , has been passionate about health and fitness for two decades. He was the founder, CEO of Muscle Science, a national level physique competitor, and self-experimental researcher and scientist.

He does alot about bodybuilding and muscle and gaining muscle and energy on carnivore is absolutely possible and he tells ya all about it :slight_smile:

just google him out and see his videos and podcasts and articles on it all…he knows his stuff :slight_smile: best of luck to you.

Its been awhile…and I’ll just come clean here… I went off the plan. Took that trip downstate to gather some of the family belongings. While we were driving downstate we also took a trip down memory lane, and ended up at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth (my great grandparents are buried at St. Lorenz - as they used to have a farm there.) My eats weren’t terrible. Well, yeah, they were. So, back home, back on plan.

And, since arriving home - I am overjoyed to report that I finally feel a sense of authentic peace and happiness. There are no words to adequately describe how difficult the last decade has been. To reach this point of emotional calm seemed impossible. The effect that emotional unrest has on one’s physical condition cannot be understated. So, as I listen to vinyl records on the old De Luxe, I shall set about to cooking some beef and chicken for meals this week.

Nothing like the William Tell Overture on vinyl. well…actually Handel’s Messiah is better. But, there will be time to dig through the vinyls and find it. Have a very blessed and happy day, all!

And…my 15 yo sees me putting another record on the stereo. Her comment:

“WOW Mom, that’s a really big CD.”

(Alex) #294

Not my area of expertise but i have some thoughts on what i would try in your situation:
If you’ve been doing this every week for 6 months with no break, your body might just need a rest and to take two weeks off and focusing on good sleep and gentle walking/stretching.
Drop back down to a lighter weight for a week or two and see if you might just have increased your weights faster than your body can adapt.
Add some extra fat to meals e.g. butter or beef scratchings for a week, particularly before a workout to see if that decreases weakness.

(Heather) #295

@VirginiaEdie

Yes.

(Heather) #296

@Fangs

Thank you! I will check him out!

(Heather) #297

@Alexaar

Thank you. I guess I figured that with it only being 1.5 hours per week, my body would keep up. I appreciate your input.

(Polly) #298

Wow! Sounds like great fun. So glad you had a good time.

(Kellyn ) #299

It was fun. I would love to do it again, but it looks like there are not any more murder mystery events again this year.

(Alex) #300

@Redrobins I hope you find your strength again soon! :slight_smile: