OXtoberFest ZC Challenge

(Edith) #241

Oh, ha, ha. I thought that you thought I meant for the day. I consider 800 kcal for a meal a lot. But, it didn’t stop me from being hungry for dinner. :smile:

so smart. key for me. eat big before anything. fill that tummy to where food means nothing to ya when out and about, and keep some room in that tummy for some drinks :slight_smile: :slight_smile: SO COOL you are doing your murder mystery on Sat. Can not wait to hear all about it!!! Fun times!!

ohhh, I was hoping you got your hands on that mini freezer you are wanting. That would make a trip for your meat so much easier if you had freezer storage to stock up a bit more. I know you want one, hope you get your paws on one soon :sunny:

seafood salad. Yea yea it was a tough one to give up for me but in the end I haven’t had it in many years :slight_smile: I loved that crappy stuff to the max LOL What blew me away was I know it is junky, right? but when I did look it up it was like 12g carbs in 1/2 cup and contained wheat and more junk in it when I read the ingredient/nutritional label with it…but darn it is so good HAHA but 1/2 cup is nothing to me ya know. I would eat like 3 cups easily in a flash…so I would top out around 70-80 carbs easily on what I could hoover down my gullet. And I tried to replace it, tried to make substitutes taste like that taste but never could so now I just eat fresh real plain old crab legs and just let life happen like that for me now. Geez, seafood salad, just haven’t thought about that in a long time. You just made me think fondly of it and horrified from the carbs that are in it LOL

I get your situation with your bro and stuff and one of the hardest decisions I made in my life was saying NO to food offered me even thru the kindest intentions or events etc. I put my foot down cause while I give the people a thrill and they are happy I am eating their carbs…I realize my health is not worth any of it. Health trumps everything in life. I had to put me first. Oh yea I had the family go a bit crazy on my eating at the start, now they work around me and don’t even bother offering me food of any kind. I say to mom we will eat lunch out when I visit and she says, oh what can you eat and where ya wanna go? OK she is trained HAHA And yes, eating stuff ain’t gonna ruin your life, no guilt or anything but learn from it is all we can do. Learn to manuever thru that next situation that might hit just like that is all one can do. Many times I came home and said…wow I shoulda said or done? and then I am prepared for the next time. I would lie too…oh none for me, I am so stuffed from eating earlier, don’t wanna make myself sick…yes I did it all to do what I had to do to stay on plan LOL sneaky me :slight_smile:

Carnivore on…you’re good.

food yesterday was

12 oz NY strip steak
few slices taylor ham
beef stick

that is low food intake for me. just hit my not hungry mode. which, again is normal and fine for me. I just eat as my body tells me to eat.

But this morning I woke up hungry. :slight_smile: rare for me but not hungry enough to bother eating cause I got a 1 lb. ribeye steak I will eat later when I get home, and pairing that up with 1/2 lb. jumbo shrimp. Oh yes.

So I might start swinging back up to way more hungry or not? we shall see where I land. All normal for me at this many years on plan now, normal eating patterns.

If want more food later, I got about 12 chicken legs I am cooking up for hubby for later for him to eat on for a bit, so I can snag a few of those if wanted.

Soldier on everyone! Eat your meat and seafood and enjoy life! I got meat and seafood coming at me today and I am one happy person :wink:

(Polly) #244

I had to google Taylor ham, as I had never come across it before (apart from recently in this thread). In fact I wondered whether you had slaughtered a pig named Taylor and then made ham out of the carcase.

My pretty image of home made hams was busted by learning that it is a pork roll product.

Day #16

Big work day.

Coffee and cream in the morning.

1pm breakfast = 4 eggs + bacon omelette with 4 cheddar cheese slices.

2nd coffee with more cream.

Heart palpitations - usually about 14 days in I have some oxalate dumping.
Salty beef bone broth and some extra magnesium = settled.

Did not feel like cooking dinner. Ate some Jarlsberg cheese. About 80g.

Dairy has snuck back big time.

Fasting, morning BG: 5.7 Ketones 0.2mmol/L. 10pm now and feeling tired.

Will review my posts in this thread tomorrow to remind me where I started and my aims. (When you click on your icon a ‘x’ number of posts in thread button appears and you can do a review.)

(Edith) #246

I actually have my brother eating keto. He has psoriatic arthritis, but it’s the psoriasis that’s the worst part for him. He thought he was doing right by me. He’s been keto for about two months or so. He still isn’t used to having to read labels so closely.

If I hadn’t eaten the entire pound and stuck to one serving, it wouldn’t have been so bad. :joy:

(Kellyn ) #247

I didn’t have time to make breakfast this morning so I stopped at a grocery store on my way to work. I though about buying some sausage until I looked at the back and saw that it had dextrose in it. I thought also about cottage cheese, but it had 5 grams of carbs. I looked around some more and found some zero sugar beef jerky. It was zero carb, too. I had never seen one like this. It was delicious. I ate the bag for breakfast. I had some coffee with HWC when I got to work and I brought two beef patties with raw Monterey jack cheese and lots of bacon for lunch.
My nurse costume came tomorrow and I was a little worried about the fit because I bought a large 14-16 size which was the largest they had. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. :blush: I love that my clothes are fitting looser and I am feeling so much better in my own skin. I am forever grateful to have found a way to eat that I love and that makes me feel this good. The weight loss is a wonderful and exciting side effect.

(Polly) #248

How exciting that you get to dress up for the murder mystery. I really hope you have a great time and look forward to hearing all about it.

Amy arrived at the hospital. The food is worse than ever. I wondered what I would do… Lunch OMADs, surely. It’s the only meal that has, well, food. Mixed with carbs but I could handle that. Or not. If I could walk, I would go out and buy my own stuff. If not… I probably would realize long term fasting isn’t so bad… But the meaty lunches really look nice. And don’t talk about all the rest where the 8 (?) little sandwiches (it’s the first dinner. don’t worry, it’s not ALL the bread in that meal!) may be considered okay food. Compared to the rest. (No, it’s still very much not okay, not even remotely tempting and my own homemade bread is tempting to me sometimes. BUT not simple sugar, it’s something!)

I looked at Amy’s dinner (that she couldn’t eat much from and now poor soul is hungry) and I feel so blessed to fast… Feeling very very satiated for very very long… I love this aspect of fasting so much. Simple and nice. Of course it only works for a little while like this but that’s why I rarely do EF and that is short too, like 48 hours and I am not necessarily hungry in the end. My hunger and satiation changes more and more as I lower my carbs. Fat adaptation after 7 weeks in ketosis was a huge change but it could evolve further.

I have no meaty thoughts but I feel the need to balance these out with something carnivore…

I still didn’t try the egg pudding but I will! Once I did something I thought may be similar… I didn’t use the right method and it stayed a bit liquid but it was nice. Well, it mostly contained egg, what could possibly go wrong? :smiley: It’s so nice that I change the texture of pure eggs and it becomes different. One of the 4 versions had only eggs, not even extra liquid. It was pure egg like my new sponge cake or boiled eggs or scrambled eggs made on water (I did that once)… And they are all different.

And my latest fried pork skin became very good, crunchy, not hard. It’s not always this good though I always can ground it and use it that way, very flavorful as it’s from salted smoked pork hocks.

Poor cats (in the rain… it rained so much and it’s cold too, near frost at dawn. fine, not in the rain, this house has a big terrace and a big part of it is under the roof. there is a house and a basket for the cats) love dog salami, it seems. It was on sale and it has more animal stuff than grains (unlike the dry cat food), much more protein and fat than the wet cat food… But they hunt plenty and we didn’t want the cats, they just came (except Tofu but she was crying next to the road since a day, it had to be done. we never regretted, of course, she’s beautiful and an amusing cheeky brat. she never turned a serious adult cat, she just grew bigger). They seem healthy enough, they are all beautiful :slight_smile: Caroline is a fluffy cloud all year since she got desexed.

We all should decide what to do in social situation, I guess. I never would lie, that’s against my principles and how damn weird to lie about food? No, I rather would suffer than lying for sure!
Hmmm… I almost never had to choose. I go out of keto all the time so it’s no big deal for me to eat tempting carbs. To some extent. And less and less stuff can tempt me. But I have great and very few relatives, they can handle NO - as everyone should, IMO. I hate pressure if it’s about my food, health and well-being. But I couldn’t be mad to everyone, some people truly doesn’t see what they are doing.
I probably visit Oti in November. Oh that will be new as it’s my carnivore month and the beginning of it, at that. No way I touch no carnivore food. I don’t remember what I did when I was keto for 7 weeks, it’s not realistic not visiting her for such a long time… Maybe I was lucky and the food was mostly keto that time. I will bring my own food, try to come home early so I will be there in my fasting window… And hoping for plain meat, it’s quite frequent lately. just little. One full chicken thigh*, ridiculous amount.
But these are for just making my life easier, it’s absolutely impossible to tempt me in the beginning of November, I build my determination since long. Maybe after days without food, I could be tempted. Not on the first day. (And I know what it feels to saying no to food when tired, cold and hungry and the next shop is 10-20 km away and there is freshly made, tasty, warm food in the same room. I was a serious vegetarian. A very hedonistic one who hates hunger especially when miserable anyway so I gave in after some hours - still didn’t eat the meat, of course but my food was contaminated, oh well. It was the right decision, the lesser bad thing. I only had one such time. And another serious temptation when I got the best home-raised pork ever as a gift and I was a vegetarian already. I lasted for 3 days. I LOVED pork and it was the best… Good decision, again. But going vegetarian was a good decision too, it lasted for 8 years with only this 2 cases - and some mistakes not on my part, those doesn’t count. Then I was my own person, living alone and stopped almost immediately, that was a good decision too though almost nothing changed. I just ate raw salmon sometimes and once a year, some home-raised pork…? Then rabbit… Maybe I never will eat as much meat as the average ketoer though I seriously doubt it at this point, well I surely will have meatier times. I don’t know about the average person. Average first world, the true average must be low. The average person can’t even have enough clear water or enough food… I am very lucky. And I am not in some sugar obsessed hospital either, not being able to go out…)

*actually, thigh and leg. except “chicken leg” is for the toes here… But it seems not in English… I don’t know why are these things incorrect. There is a popular dish called… nail stew? I don’t know in English but whatever is in the very end of the leg of a pig. It’s obviously not the nail but the lower leg without the nail but still, it has its name. Well it sounds funny… And I never ate it. They say it’s something special, a very good stew. One day we should try it.

Alvaro brought 50 eggs, next week probably will be zero. Okay, we use the second best sources. But I eat less eggs nowadays.
I start to miss sausage and pork ribs from the pig farm shop, next week we go and get them, hopefully. And lard, not like I seem to need it. I use almost no added fat lately and I get some from too fatty parts. And I often use butter for my pancakes.
And more pork hocks, lately I was a bit whiny about cutting and eating all the skin and fat, it’s work and they last for ages so I didn’t want to do it often… But with this better than ever fried skin and very enjoyable fried fat… I don’t mind it. The fat (hard and chewy to eat raw) is best when we put it on some lean meat in the oven. It becomes absolutely wonderful. But it’s nice after a few mins in the pan too.

How on earth am I able to write this much about my usual eating I don’t know.

I can’t help but imagine corn seeds in meat when I read about corned beef :smiley: And I know what it is now (not very well as I never ate it) but still… Corn… Can’t help it.

Yay for Kellyn’s nurse costume that fits :smiley: Have fun :slight_smile: I have no idea what is the murder mystery but it sounds good :slight_smile:

(Kellyn ) #250

Thank you. I’ve never done anything like this before which makes it even more exciting to me. I think my husband is a little anxious about it. I love change and new things and he gets anxious about the unknown. I will definitely update you all Monday on how the night went. :grinning:

(Kellyn ) #251

Thank you, Shinita. It’s a party game, but it is hosted by a local restaurant that is known for their cooking classes. There are 12 participants that are assigned characters ahead of time to dress up as and are given back stories. Some of the characters are nurse, widow, nun, spy, duchess, strong man, professor, detective, archeologist, and others. My nurse character is actually a nurse from a psychiatric hospital and her back story reveal she is a little psychotic. When we get there Saturday one of us will find out that we are the murderer. Then the game starts. We ask questions and mingle and try to figure out who the murderer is. I have never done anything like this before so I am not sure exactly how it all works, but will update you all on Monday.

Oh I played something like this once but there were no costumes, only talking. It’s fun :slight_smile:

And anyway, there were rounds… And maybe multiple murders… Anyway, it surely will be interesting. I am looking forward about hearing about it afterwards :slight_smile:

I made the egg pudding! :slight_smile: Not much work and an interesting texture. But it’s just fun now and then, the taste is egg, I can get it simpler :slight_smile:

I am super stuffed now. And I didn’t even finish my dessert (quark with sour cream and vanilla flavoring as I like that, I usually use normal stuff but well, it’s nice and I doubt it can have any noticeable effect. it disappears at some point in the future I am sure).
I feel very odd on my <1000 kcal days, it’s so not me. Oh well. It will change later.

I ate WARM hard-boiled eggs… Simple but I do it so rarely :slight_smile: Nothing can get between me and my sausage. I won’t cut 40g cheese in the future, I barely could finish it. Odd, yesterday 125g was no big deal but that was a different, not really cheese cheese. We never could get proper smoked cheese, it’s some lower-level stuff but it was tasty and worked for some of Alvaro’s breakfasts. I will try a slightly aged Gouda next time, that’s flavorful too though still not as strong as smoked cheese, well, the old one. They changed the recipe. It’s so very easy to cut slices, no crumbling, no sticking to the knife… (I am not gourmet enough to have a cheese knife and my normal knife is perfect for our normal, harder cheese.) And they all escaped the bread sticks in the oven. And they have very little taste too. And I bought many. Oh well. It’s still protein, we will eat it. It would be a tad expensive for the cats and they probably don’t like the flavorings in it either. We are resilient humans though the domesticated cats are resilient too.

I am quite fine with super simple meals for now, it seems. Boiled eggs, cheeses, sausage… My egg sandwiches are a hit. I didn’t put them together, they can mix in my mouth just fine.
I won’t do it for much longer but for 2 days in a row, it was nice as the main course of my meal.

LOL yea we harvested many hogs on the farm, had about 125 in rotation for our meat/sausage sales…and no, we never named them :slight_smile:

yea I grew up on it. I am from the North and moved South nearly 30 yrs ago and I could never find it, and would order it online like 1 time a year…but then 1 store in my area stocked it and I grab it up.

what I love about it is the very high fat content. So satisfying and a taste that means childhood to me I guess. I rely on it. A little goes a long way for being very satisfying for me.

you need to eat some heavy meat or seafood FB…you are eating very light actually. Even if ‘not that hungry’ cook up a small steak and see if it tempts you, I bet it does actually :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Glad your heart palps got handled…you know I had some last night and into my drive to my moms. My PVCs kicked in and no idea why but I hammered down a ton of water and felt better but I am ‘in low mode’ for eating right now and my PVCs kicked up?? no idea if connected here but??..when in doubt, eat on zc HAHA

oh very cool he is into keto and I sure do get they think they are doing right by ya…you would not believe what my hubby has done for me in the food dept and I say, I can’t eat that and he wilts, he learned to not bother anymore, more like just brings me slabs of meat and he is win/win on that present for me :wink:

the kicker, what ‘seems’ so innocent like the seafood salad is a horror on the nutritional label. I was shocked also, I never thought it would carry the carb load and ‘wheat ingredients’ and more in it…definitely surprised me on that…but when made for us, no telling if we don’t look it up what it is really all about.

Yep, there are surprising items. I would think, yes, a seafood salad has some carbs… But so much?
Well I was surprised when I learned that fried onions in the supermarket have flour. At least they are like spice, a little goes a long way…

It helped that when I went keto, I already just bought simple ingredients since ages.

Some people learn quicker. I don’t expect Alvaro’s Mom with diabetes knowing well enough what actually has carbs and sugar… Her diabetes diet allows tons of carbs, I would be sick on it.
But Alvaro learned things. He is uncertain and always says he can’t cook keto food to me. But he actually can. Rarely as he loves putting potatoes and whatnots into everything but not into meat and egg dishes so he is better at making carnivore-ish dishes than keto ones :D. He makes almost all meaty dishes for us. And what’s more important, he cooks most of his carby food on the weekends. That’s nice, I cook for her but putting lots of effort into something carby… No. I was pissed enough last year when I had carnivore times and had to can stupid apples again and again because he bought too many softer ones and they rotted in the house like crazy.
So he makes whatever he wants with vegetables and I cook super simple carby staples, keto breakfast cakes (and savory muffins) and carnivore dishes for lunch. I slowly gain new recipes for the last one. I still dislike cooking separately, no matter how ridiculously easy to feed myself nowadays. But he responds well to meat dishes and not too simple egg dishes (I was a bit shocked when he told me back than that crambled eggs isn’t his idea about a perfect lunch. it’s eggs… what not to love? :D). I didn’t manage to make him eat pork skin yet but I will work on it - or eat up all the pork skin myself, it’s very good, whatever I do with it.
He is very very tolerant, only sometimes has problems with my food. But I am experienced and know him so I never make something “questionable” as the only option.

I’ve read some horrible recipes in my life and it seems people actually tried to feed them to their family. Once I got a vegetarian cookbook as a gift. It was vegan but something utterly horrible. I found 1-2 simple possibly edible things in it, the rest sounded very bad even to optimistic me. And I find many vegan food extremely good. Plants are very tasty, after all, there are all the spices… But some people possess the talent of making them bad. Wow.

I have enough of raining :frowning: I looked at the weather forecast… Still a little rain, cold and wind… We should improve our immune system to eat vegetables and fruits multiple times a day… Now even forecast sites do that, it seems.
It was funnier when I read dietary advice in supermarket papers. They had all kinds of nice looking meat on sale, from chicken breast to bacon and sausages… And wrote on the other page that we should eat lean meat and making a dish from it with using almost no fat…
Sigh.
Well, good luck persuading most of the Hungarian population to stop eating fatty pork… And mutton, sometimes, mmm, that was good. And extremely fatty.
But it’s still not nice to read such things.

yea I’ve seen it and bought a bag…it was good but darn pricey cause heck I wanted alot more after I ate it LOL Glad you found a good treat for yourself.

wow I am super happy for you with all the wonderful improvement zc is giving to you…you are a good zc person for sure! :sunny:

great your costume fit…OMG NURSE RACHID! I bet you have a blast, can’t wait for your story later on this night.

I am so happy she is getting the med help she needs, she got some issues to straighten out but that menu they give her, yikes! but once she is home and recovering better she can focus on food to help her heal…we are all sending her hugs and prayers for a fast recovery thru all this for her!

yes I am right there with you. I find the more simple the food and prep the happier I am. Just so freeing for me to not think of food like ‘work’ ya know in the kitchen, now it is ‘just food’ and done. Simple is a pure blessing for me on this plan.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #259

@Shinita Yup and your such a caring supportive friend.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. And you know I adore you. It’s almost lunch time.:scream:. What I can’t eat, I’ll store away… it’s a mystery meal… Breakfast as you know was horrendous… carbs… sugar… And nothing more… I even have trouble with milk…As it’s been like 10 months on hwc, to me… milk tastes weird… of course I’m doped on valium again. :scream:. They were gonna put me on a very strong anti psychotic ( to help me sleep)… No WAY.:see_no_evil:. I would just be a drooling mess zombie… waiting for the doctors… And they will tell me my outcome… It’s scary not knowing.:heart:. But babe, your my very dear friend and you get me through so much always. SO I love you.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:. @Fangs Thankyou… It’s been a hell of a year… I miss carni/ keto… I really do miss it. It’s damn hard… And why am I not allowed to order my own food… others get to… yeah I showed Shinita my dinner… it shocked her… it was a million sandwiches… with pumpkin soup, another peice if bread with jam, jelly, trifle and cream, etc… but I’m on pills that make me hungry. Oh Boy… Lunch… is a tiny tiny amount of corn… potato… And a tiny tuna thing… which is all I can eat. The other is orange juice and very sugary cheesecake… the other ladies are whinging cos half the food on their tray is missing.who’s the person in charge of food here… :see_no_evil:. I saw hospital food in America… there was bacon and eggs and stuff… It’s hard… cos I’m SO hungry from these pills… my real menu starts tomorrow. This is just random… cos I only came yesterday.:heart:. Oh well . Lol Poor old ladies though… everyone’s whinging about the food. Ones choking… from them not choosing stuff carefully for her… she has trouble swallowing. One is diabetic… drinking juice. I’ll stop whinging… but they are too… And I have no visitors to vent to… so i get bored. Three hospital admissions in three months… Covid…earlier on… ulcers, kidneys, it’s all too much… I’m hoping with my entire being… things get better.:heart:

Guys, Amy gets a BITE of tuna/egg even in her cooked meal now. Last time it was better. (The frittata seems bigger but just because it’s full with vegetables. of course they add vegetables on the side.)
Horrible. WHY they don’t serve protein I wonder. I doubt there is much as the food is mostly bread, vegetable and fruit juice. Cheesecake isn’t so great at the protein department either. I eat protein sources with protein sources and even I ate little protein in the last two days due to my very low calories…

I am making broth again as I finished it yesterday and I like having it. Duck this time, it has heart, liver and gizzard too :slight_smile: I am not into heart and gizzard but they are okay and variety is my friend. I totally enjoy dirt cheap poor food (yeah, morals but it is still tasty and I need meat and especially soup. I had to get some bony parts and only fowls make good broth to me. not like I have huge experience). Very poor pensioners are “famous” of buying bony chicken parts. The duck was cheap enough too and more exotic to me, I very rarely eat duck.

Alvaro cooks potatoes in our biggest pot, cabbage soup will follows in the same one… Soup. Well, it has some water if you look very hard… He loves dense soup. I am totally happy with clear broth too, some meat or eggs are welcomed but that’s it. I am elated I found out broth is tasty without vegetables…
This will be the very first time I won’t taste his soup. Cabbage was one of my fav vegetables (especially fried of course. I fry everything. maybe I put it next to my name…) so it’s a tad mournful… But not completely. It’s not sad not eating what we don’t want. One temptation less anyway. But still.
And soups! I love soups. If it’s soup to me, I like even what I don’t in any other shape or form.
I remember my last cabbage soup. Well, Alvaro’s, it’s always him who makes it. I didn’t enjoy it. The taste is the same, the generous amount of sour cream is nice… The lack of water bothers me a bit, though… But as I figured out good taste alone doesn’t guarantee joy.

Nice, warm soup… I have a sore throat. And a house below 18C, I already thought of heating. We make it almost a challenge to last until November but it was a very bad October lately, cold and rainy, even our house with great insulation and smallish size lost warmth like crazy.

So I only drink warm liquids now.

It’s weekend, I almost forgot about Zornfast :smiley: I usually stop at this point, weekends don’t mix with fasts so well. Of course I don’t eat before noon but my eating window gets definitely bigger especially if I go shopping or exercise but if I do these at the same time and bring home smoke pork… I couldn’t do that today, in this drizzle and cold and probably wind, with my sore throat… Alvaro goes to the city to pick up a website order (plant food. he needs his coconut oil and whatnots)… 50 km cycling, I wanted to go but well, not under these circumstances. I barely could sleep anyway, my sleeping pattern is crazy again.

Sorry, maybe I shouldn’t come here in my current state when my conscious brain is weakest, I am more offtopic as usual. I have Amy to recieve my braindumps, I don’t even have the excuse I am a lonely soul…