Overwhelming Taste of Sweet in my Mouth

Okay, I have a HUGE taste of sweetness in the mouth this morning. Can anyone tell me the particulars on this? I’ve had it before but never this strong. Is this ketosis in turbo mode (I hope)? Does anyone else experience this on a regular basis?

I do. First cream stated tasting sweet, the I noticed if I nibbled a bit of 70% chocolate instead of the usual 90%, it would taste super sweet. I tried Halo Top ice cream and about gagged on the sweetness, which must have been calibrated for carb eaters. And I’m not even 100% carnivore, I just naturally dislike vegetables.

RIght now I can taste a bit of sweetness in my mouth if I think about it. My theory is that since the sweet taste buds in our mouth are related to the sweet sensors in the gut, and the gut is connected to the brain via the vagus nerve, there is a direct connection between reduced insulin (and maybe leptin) resistance and a perceived enhanced taste of sweet things.

(Carl Keller) #3

I’ve never experienced this but I have read that some people experience a sweet taste that is associated with keto breath.

Ketosis breath often starts out with sweet taste in mouth and the smell of the breath reminds acetone. Keto breath is caused by elevated ketone levels.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

I’m not carnivore and I have sweet taste in my mouth almost all of the time. (very low carb over 6 months) I don’t mind it.

Have you ever tested for keytones?

(Jay Patten) #6

I get this from time to time. Almost a fruity taste in my mouth. It’s actually normal.

So in your journey, how often would you say you’ve had this “fruity” taste. It just keeps reoccurring for you? Have you ever done any ketone level testing? Congrats by the way on your SIGNIFICANT weight loss!

(Scott) #8

If you are new to keto it is more like an acetone flavor and very noticable. When I realized I can taste ketosis I decided to keep my money and and only use my built in keto meter.

(Jay Patten) #9

@celloyd thank you!

I stopped testing for ketones a long time ago, so I’m not 100% sure if there is a correlation or not. My guess is that it has to do with what I ate the few days prior (sometimes I will go super low-carb/ carnivore for a week or two if I’m trying to break through a plateau). But at this point I really shouldn’t have a lot of ketones “spilling over” as I have been fat adapted for a long time. I haven’t really noticed a pattern to it, other than from time to time it happens. But I do know that it is normal.

I’m slowing realizing that you better just hunker down and get ready for the long haul. It’s not going to be easy, there will be experimentation required, and no way to predict with any certainty how the body is going to respond. And I just wanted to eat meat and lose weight! :rofl:

(Scott) #11

I had the taste early on but it went away. I assumed it was adaptation or I was a bit too high on carbs. I recently increased my running to 30 miles a week. After a six mile run in the morning the taste is back.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

I still get it occasionally after a year on keto.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

I have tested urine to see if I’m spilling ketones, in the very beginning, but I don’t have a ketone blood monitor.