Overeating nuts

food

(Cheyenne) #1

Does anyone else have a problem with overeating nuts? They are supposed to be satiating, but every time just one goes in my mouth it’s all over with. I can down an entire 4 oz bag of macs, almonds, pecans, and even seeds. It’s so frustrating I’ll even eat after eating the nuts. Even when I try to portion them out by buying single serve pouches… I will just eat pouch after pouch. Tell me I’m not the only one like this.

(Bob M) #2

I’ve given up on nuts, yogurt, anything else that causes me to eat calories simply because.

Note, though, that you may be overeating nuts because they’re high in Omega 6 fatty acids, which (according to one theory) cause your fat cells to be “hungry” (whereas saturated fat causes your fats cells to be “full”).

(Cheyenne) #3

Thank you for responding. I’m going to have to give some thought into just giving them up. It’s been months of battling this nut addiction. At first I thought it was because of the maltodextrin found in most flavored nuts, then I tried just roasted and salted but that didn’t help either. I’ll even go overboard with raw. It must be the omega 6’s. I will have to look into that study. It’s definitely difficult for me to stop, because before Keto, they were a healthy pleasure food for me.

(Bob M) #4

I hate to cite to videos, but this is a good overview of the “Omega 6 fats = obesity”:

Read this first:

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/07/27/are-nuts-paleo/

I still eat Macadamia nuts, if I can find them. Otherwise, I try to limit my nut consumption, as, like you, I overeat them.

(Allie) #5

I only have this issue with macadamia and pistachio nuts so now don’t buy either.

(KetoQ) #6

Just had some peanuts for lunch … I know nuts are not the best food, but they have fats and can be satiating. I may have had 4 oz peanuts, but now I’ll be okay until I eat dinner at 8pm. And right now I’m at 19 net carbs for the day.

At least the nuts are better than what I may have had before … a banana and a bagel, or a sandwich with bread.

Although I am trying to be better about my omega 3 to 6 ratios, my love of peanuts and peanut butter are not helping.

At times it can be hard to always eat the perfect meal or snack. That said, hopefully that will help me innovate to something that will be a better choice.

I live pistachios…I could eat a whole bag of those delicious morsels. Macadamias, well have a Costco sized bag that I’ve had for awhile now. I use them when I really want chocolate (that’s my danger food). I guess we all have that one allowed trigger food.

(Jennifer) #8

I started roasting pecans in melted butter and sea salt. It makes me full a lot quicker and I tend to eat a LOT less.

I can easily eat a two-cup container of macadamia nuts (before or after a meal!) so now my rule for myself is to use them only when I’m travelling. I even had to define travelling (over four hrs on train or plane) because otherwise it was too tempting to use them on longish commutes.

Wow… I’m pretty sure that would make me eat a lot MORE!
Cool that it works for you, though :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #11

I keep macadamias as an emergency food, for when I’m tired of eating meat and don’t have anything else to eat.

For chocolate, I eat the 85%+ stuff, which I think tastes bad, so I don’t overeat it.

(Troy) #12

Yup. This no doubt
Much like my go to occasionally

I’m to lazy to Melt the butter or roast the pecans🤣

10-20 pecans
And 4 tbsp of Chilled butter

Works for me

(Brian) #13

I have no problem with overeating whole nuts. But I have recently come to the conclusion that it’s easy for me to overdo when using ingredients like almond flour/meal to make keto friendly burger buns or desserts.

Made a 9" double layer lemon blueberry zucchini cake with butter cream icing this weekend. It is delicious! It has a LOT of everything in it, low carb, yes, but it’s too much. We ate some of it and came to the conclusion that we need to put the rest of it in the freezer. A little is very tasty. But since it’s just the two of us and we did not get visitors over the weekend like we had kinda thought was going to happen, we agreed it needs to get put away in pieces that we can get out on occasion when we feel like a little something rich, not a whole cake, just a piece. We do NOT need to eat the rest of it right now just because we’re too cheap to throw it away. (The thing was expensive!)

In addition to making desserts a special thing rather than a daily thing, I’m thinking both in terms of limiting especially the almond flour and when I make something, making it in a miniature version rather than full sized.

So… it’s a work in progress here. But I thought I would mention nut flours and nut meals as they can hide a lot of nuts in a package that doesn’t look much like them.

(Todd Allen) #14

If I eat nuts alone as a snack I’m prone to eating too many or not being satisfied. But snacking on anything is counter productive for me and I’ve mostly stopped. I can eat nuts as part of a meal without trouble.

I’ll echo the comment that I had to give up on nuts. They just added up as too many “thoughtless” carbs and calories.

In terms of carbs and calories, I also no longer use almond flour, deferring to coconut flour or protein powder or pulverized shredded cheese as my flour in baking.

However, I do make pecan cookies. As cookies, I’m more aware of my portion sizes. The recipe works fine using macadamia nuts instead of pecans.

(Amy Ramadan) #16

I would say, if you know that nuts are something you tend to overeat, just southern all together, at least for right now. I am the same way, so I go for other snacks that will not get me in trouble!! You can always go back at a later time and see if you react differently and are able to control amounts a little better!! Good luck!!

Those look good. Thanks!

(Running from stupidity) #18

I just put them both in a pan and get my wife to fire up and breathe on them.

(Troy) #19

So that’s what they mean by Keto Breath😄
Jk

(Running from stupidity) #20

They do indeed. Shame I just put myself on a fortnight’s sweetener ban… (Errr, I mean N=1 experiment)