Over training Syndrome (OTS) & MAF Heartrate

heartrate

(glover Bailie) #1

In 2005 I became ill, I had zero energy, completely fatigued, swollen glands, night sweats, stressed and could not sleep. I had many blood tests and couple of weeks off work. Looking back, I am pretty sure it was OTS. Under educated I pushed my base into zone 3-4 thinking harder was better and after great gains my fitness slipped, I chased it and it all went pear shaped.

I have trained and ridden much more in the last two years and I think Keto really supported this. However, looking back, I have had several points where I was pushing overreaching into early OTS, particularly around disturbed sleep and stress. That said it is easy to look back it is hard to see it at the time.

In September I agreed to do the Haute Route Alps Aug 2018 and not wanting my fitness to drop Sep-Dec, as usual, I pushed on with my cycling. However, I think the break in Keto and move back to carbs, along with work and life pressures tipped the fine balance. My fitness dropped, my sleep reduced my stress increased, I tried to push harder. My muscles ached my interest died and BANG. It is always easy to see it looking back.

2018 has not been the start I wanted ahead of my biggest challenge to date. I am in a negative spiral not sure what is causing what but 1 month in I am just about wanting to get back in the saddle, I have had a few recovery rides, I am still tired so how to move forward?

There is so much research out there and so many training methods, HIIT, Sweet spot, Time crunched, Polarised and MAF to name a few and each will stress different parts of our energy systems.

MAF, I have previously read and dismissed this method, although I have always incorporated long easy rides in my schedule. However, Phil Maffetone’s explanation of OTS where one’s aerobic fitness is compromised with excessive anaerobic training. I have read of many peoples’ success with this method on this forum but it is a considerable change in ethos and a big leap in faith.

Tom Bell [tombell.co] UCI & World cup XC competitor. Advocates Polarise training with 90:10 ratio where the traditional base miles would be conducted at a similar intensity to MAF, however more time it spent above lactic threshold rather than in sweet spot or at threshold during intervals.

As I am coming back from illness and suspected OTS I feel that traditional low intensity base will be less stressful until my fitness starts to recover. Both the above methods suggest that increasing the base HR does not necessarily improve or speed up results.

So what Heart rate/power to use and how to adjust this for a keto athlete?

180-age, 65-75 MaxHR, % Latic threshold, HR Reserve, % FTP?

If it is to build aerobic base should it be where we are burning 100% fat as measured in metabolic test?

My Lactic HR changes by 9 beats but neither my MaxHR (184) or my RestingHR (43) change and at the moment my FTP has plummeted back to about 230.

Does anyone know the best way to establish keto base HR zone? Or have experience coming back from OTS?

(ianrobo) #2

OK very complicated !! not had OTS because I was careful when felt towards the edge I rested prior to keto and definitely now !!

The thing with Keto and MAF is you keep to it then OTS should not be a problem, I can put in regular 10-12hrs a week on the bike and not feel a degradation of performance, HR going higher etc.

As for zones, if fully doing MAF, forget it, just concentrate on MAF training and maybe one session a week for HIIT stuff on power not HR, if doing MAF HR zones are pointless …

I have done the Marmotte and the Haute route is a dream of mine but next year planning a 7 day Galibier to Ventoux ride, finished off with triple Ventoux !!

Now I ride for myself and my own targets and MAF is perfect whether Marmotte, whether a 24 hour ride I plan around Brands Hatch (revolve 24). I would assess what you want to do, and the bigger the base through MAF then you will see how much better you will be in the long term but it will be frustrating … since being on MAF my FTP has not really dropped so I just go longer and longer. So look for a post of mine where I did Mt Teide without stopping for 4 hours at average HR of 162 (nominally z4/5) and some would say that is not possible …

(glover Bailie) #3

Many thanks that is really helpfully much appreciated.