Osteoporosis and Keto

(Irma Reitz) #1

Does anyone have info on Keto and osteoporosis. I’m 73 years old and have been on a Ketogenic WOE for 7 months and love the effects of the diet eg less painful arthritis, appetite control, did I say appetite control!!! That is the most amazing part appetite control. No longer a slave to food binges except maybe some HWC in my coffee.

(Todd) #2

I don’t have any info but at 52 I have this same issue. I’m feeling better overall and after one month on Keto, I’m starting to excercise too. I will be watching your responses and good luck!

(Ron) #3

Good information that might help.
https://www.perfectketo.com/ketosis-for-seniors/

(Karen) #4

See what Meagan Ramos has to say about it. She had osteoporosis too. Adding bone with fasting.

K

(Irma Reitz) #5

Thank you - that has really put my mind at ease.

(Irma Reitz) #6

Thanks for the link - have just downloaded her ebook. :beetle::herb:I was a starry eyed newbie with huge expectations once. I get it. You’re excited. Great swathes of weight are about to fall off you with relative ease. You’ll be buying new clothes every month you’re shrinking so fast. Friends and family will be in awe of your dramatic rapid weight loss.

Only- none of that is likely to be true. Sorry pumpkins :frowning:

Keto is not a magic bullet. Keto is not a diet. Keto is a way of eating which enables your body to undo years of metabolic damage, abuse from calorie restricted diets, and metabolic disregulation. Keto is primarily about health and healing.

Yes- it is true that the weight will come off. But! It will do it when it wants to. For some people it happens fast (but I’m sorry to say they are unicorns :unicorn:!).

For most of us it’s a slow process with stalls and gains as well as losses. It is a journey, a journey which requires research, experimentation, trial and error, and overcoming your fear of fat.

You’ll probably lose an exciting amount of weight during your first week or two of keto. That is your body depleting its glycogen stores- ie water weight. Next up- you’ll most likely ‘stall’ (awesomely named PISS- Post Induction Stage Stall). You may very well not see any loss on the scales and you’re going to want to freak out because you think you’re doing it wrong, or Keto doesn’t work.

Wrong! Going Keto is a big deal for your body. It’s likely going to freak out a bit, after all you’ve taken away its glucose and it’s wondering where the energy is going to come from (if you’re suffering from the keto flu type the word ‘electrolytes’ into the search bar- research it and follow it, you’ll be glad you did).

Then, it’s going to start healing. Rebuilding muscle. Strengthening bone. Bolstering your immune system. Making you HEALTHIER. It’s doing all that while your scales aren’t budging.

So please, do yourselves a favour and throw away the damn scales, they are no longer your friend (and never really were anyway!!!). Get a measuring tape. Take your measurements. Watch your clothes fit better. Take progress photos. Who cares what you weigh if you fit into smaller clothes and look slimmer and healthier?

Weight loss is not linear.

Keto is about health.

Weight loss is hormonal.

KCKO (Keep Calm and Keto On).

You’re going to hear those statements a lot, for good reason. They’ll probably be uttered with a little weariness if you’re less than a month into Keto and complaining that you haven’t lost 50 billion pounds too :wink:

Read as much as you can in this forum. Educate yourselves because there is a LOT of info here just waiting for you to find it. It’s a super exciting journey which you’ll be so glad you started a year from now.

Give it a chance- but do your homework and reset your expectations. We will be here to cheer you on.

(Irma Reitz) #7

Oops - I don’t know what happened to the last post - I ended up with a huge screed?? Sorry for that!

(Deb) #8

Good info to know. I have osteopenia, the beginning stage of osteoporosis. Have already had a broken rib and knee.

Thanks for this link! I wish she described which fasting protocol she used!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Isn’t vitamin D supposed to get the calcium out of your arteries and back into your bones, where it belongs?

I think that’s K2, or D plus K2.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Thank you!