Organ Meat to eat or not to eat?

zerocarb
newbies
nutrition

(Chris) #22

Correct, and rabbit starvation should only occur once bodyfat has been lowered to the point that it’s in short supply as energy, one would assume. Actual starving. True the liver contains many vitamins, but if one is only eating muscle meat and shows no deficiency, do they still need it?

(Erica) #23

Conventionally processed meat aside, eating the parts that store the most nutrients are beneficial, but considering that they also store the most toxins as well, for me, personally the small benefit of a few extra nutrients are not worth the risk.

I love that photo - and have seen others. Raw meat and blood taste very different from cooked, more like a mild delicacy from what I hear. I’ve only had raw fish sushi myself.

The community meal of raw meat/organs/fat along with using most every part of the seal/goat/reindeer was and is about relationship, and there is a huge cultural context within a cultural heritage of ancestors who likewise had such relationships.

(sandra) #25

Might sound weird Mary but I add ACV and that works great for me to cut the taste. I just add it while cooking. It is in a KETO cookbook I have for PATE.

I have heard of that - will have to try it. The French use milk marination as well as red wine cooking for. I’d love to figure out a way to cook it and have it taste as good as it smells when cooking with the onions :wink:

(sandra) #27

I have heard that the storing the toxins is not an issue, I will have to look deeper into that :wink:

(Celeste Le Tard) #28

Please give tongue a try. If prepared correctly, and if you had no idea what you were eating, you would think it was the tender, most tasty beef ever…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Tongue is hard to find, but it is delicious. As much as I love pastrami, give me tongue any day!

(Sophie) #30

I’ve seen it at my Walmart recently.

(Richard Hanson) #31

We witness a lot of posts of those new to keto talk about eating mostly fish and chicken. For decades, we have been inundated with propaganda not to eat red meat or meats high in saturated fat and it is hard for people to abandon this bias after many years of reflexively choosing lean protein options.

It is fun to go to the grocer and search out the highest fat ground beef while others are spending a fortune on the lowest fat version they can find.

I would love to add fresh organ meets to my diet but Mrs. Hanson keeps saying NO!

Keto for Life!

Best Regards,
Richard

(VLC.MD) #32

I’ll bet $1000 this kid doesn’t know what Quinoa is.

Just saying !

I also like the meat enthusiasm. Why use a fork that only can hold so much ?

(Chris) #33

Having no use of my hand, agreed. My wife cuts strips and I eat with my good hand (injured, not missing).

I definitely do liver whenever I feel like it. Chicken liver is great sauteed in butter with mushrooms. Tip, eat it right out of the pan, while it’s hot. Calf liver is great if you soak it in milk first, then cook with bacon, onions, mushrooms, and Worcestershire sauce. Don’t overcook, get it to quasi-medium. If you do it well done it’s like eating shoe leather. I have never eaten shoe leather. Eat it (the liver) while it’s hot.

(OM) #35

Anyone knows if you can find cow/pork/sheep brain in US, more precisely in Chicago area?I used to eat it fried in butter or oil when I was a kid and it was amazing. I could find liver in US, but haven’t seem much of other organs…

(Chris) #36

Yeah there are a few youtubers that do. See if Frank Tufano has a source.

(VLC.MD) #37

Brains !!!

(Todd Allen) #38

I’d also be interested in finding a Chicago source for cow brains from non-industrial ag grass fed animals but my guess is that due to the scare induced by mad cow disease which causes the fatal Creutzfeld Jacob disease in humans finding cow brains is harder than finding unpasteurized milk.

I get a lot organ meats, fat and bones from SevenSons but they don’t offer brains.

I grind up 1005 grass fed raw bison, beef, or lamb liver in the food processor and then mix one part liver with 2 parts ground beef for burgers. Cooked in grass fed tallow I hardly notice the liver! Lamb liver is milder than beef or bison liver.

that’s 100% grass fed…

(Doug) #41

Or else a huge food processor and a whole lot of liver and ground beef. :stuck_out_tongue: