Opening Up Results

(Susan) #121

I really hope that this is the case, Janie =).

(Jane) #122

Looks like the phased opening up plan is working in the US.

(Karen) #123

I think some states are carrying other states that are actually going up. The United States looks like 50 small countries.
Perhaps added together the general trend is down.
Colorado is pretty much level case rate of under 200 a day.

(Mame) #124

I agree, there are about 20 states where the numbers are trending up. Some are remaining flat, which is great and some going down.
Looking at our country as a whole is not super helpful for assessing what is working or not. Especially as every state is also following different guidelines.

I do feel hopeful that transmissions due to open air and more flow will go down all summer. And then in the autumn when there will likely be an increase as people head inside medical centers are now more prepared to handle it.

(Jane) #125

I don’t count the number of cases going up since some states are trying to increase their testing. It’s harder to find the deaths and hospitalizations summarized for each state in one place (in graphical form), which tells a better story.

The number of cases per day in Arkansas has gone up since opening up but the deaths have been flat. Not zero, but not increasing. 182 deaths out of a population of 3 million.

The New York Times has a nice summary per state, but only cases. If someone knows of a site where the hospitalizations and deaths are graphed by state I would appreciate a link.

(Karen) #126

Yep, explains what we’ve all suspected. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/some-new-yorkers-had-coronavirus-antibodies-in-february-study-shows-11593595801
Some New Yorkers had antibodies. [ANTIBODIES!!] for the new coronavirus more than a week before the first official case in the state was announced on March 1, new research shows.

The findings, released Monday by researchers at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, signal that the virus may have been introduced in the New York City region earlier than previously thought, researchers said. The discovery is the latest effort by researchers and government agencies [to pinpoint the introduction of the corona virus in hard-hit New York.

(Jane) #127

I read an article the other day (sorry, no link) from researchers who were searching for COVID antibodies in sewer water samples. They tested old retain samples from 2018 and 2019 and were surpsied to find the antobodies in a March 2019 sample - nothing before then. This was in Spain, I believe.

(Bunny) #128

Sweden’s live and let die approach is interesting?

(Peter) #129

It’s not going as well as blind hope might have wanted, it seems.

(Jane) #130

How are the hospitals handling it? If overloaded then not good. If ok, then as expected.

(Jane) #131

Yeah, Texas is such a bad boy. Very low death rate but must panic now.

strong text

(Jane) #132

Most people have NO IDEA how fragile our supply chain is to deliver water, electricity, natural gas/propane, food, cleaning supplies, paper goods. You have only seen a blimp, not a real disruption.

One person tests positive and the entire shift is quarantined. You DO REALIZE these plants run 24/7 to keep you in your comfort zone?

I’m not surprised regarding California.

Do you remember the thread and video regarding those Californian Bakersfield doctors spouting nonsense? I wonder how they’re doing right about now.

(Doug) #135

Was it from humans, though?

Alligator

(Jane) #136

:smile:

(Jane) #137

Texas death rate (all causes) for 2018 was 731.8 per 100,000. Currently for COVID-assigned deaths it is 8 per 100,000.

(Bunny) #138

Previous years all causes of mortality compared to coronavirus?

image link

Could this fall on the heels of Great Flu of 1918 in Philadelphia?

image link

(Peter) #139

Don’t you live in the US? Shouldn’t you have some actual idea about this rather than just asking vague questions about it? Given your constant talking down of the issue you should really demonstrate a stronger grasp on what’s actually happening.

I’ve seen reports of several states where ICU capacity is being stretched. Here’s just one example found in a quick google search, but I’ve read several others in the last couple of weeks.

Of course, it’s not always easy to get good information when certain states (Texas, Florida, and so on) decide that the best defense is to just pretend it’s not happening.

(Jane) #140

To your point of the data being manipulated… there are plenty of medical folks on here who can give first hand reports which is why I posed the question instead of searching for data.

I can only report first-hand accounts for Arkansas from 2 nurses I know personally. We are far from being at maximum capacity.

(Jane) #141

We are seeing our first cases at our chemical plants and like I said - entire shifts are now quarantined and we are shutting production units down because there is nobody to run them. We make surfactants for hand sanitizer, other cleaning agents and personal care items such as shampoo and conditioners.

The plant in Illinois reported “it is chaos here” with 2 cases. The plant in Alabama said “we’ve been expecting our first case for some time now - no big deal”.