One year of KETO and the results are in

(Bill Pletke) #1

Ok, here’s my KETO story so far. 18 months ago I met with the MD de Jour at the VA for a 6 month physical. This previous doc never mentioned my T2D other than in passing. Didn’t bother to explain my blood works and seemed to be more interested in moving me along. So, I told the VA I needed see a different doc the next visit.

Last year on 10/11 my new doc, she was a decade or 2 younger that the previous doc, looked at my bloodwork and said this, "If you keep on living the way you do you may very well go blind, lose a few digits, and develop kidney disease. " That was the wakeup call I needed. I asked her what I could do. She mentioned that a change in diet was the first thing on the agenda. The VA being part of the Government only can recommended Low Fat, More exercise etc. She mentioned that other people had success with a low carb healthy fat diet, including herself. However; VA guidelines are very clear, she could not recommend a LCHF diet. But she added again, “others have had success with it.” I took the hint.

My numbers a year ago

CHOLESTEROL 205
TRIGS 282
HDL-CHOLESTEROL 31
LDL DIRECT 138
GLUCOSE (fasting) 168
ASPARTATE TRANSAMINASE 74
ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE 116
A1C 8.5
Weight 260
Waist 45
Height 6

My numbers a yesterday

CHOLESTEROL 182
TRIGS 99
HDL-CHOLESTEROL 40
LDL DIRECT 122
GLUCOSE (fasting) 112
ASPARTATE TRANSAMINASE 19
ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE 23
A1C 5.6
Weight 177
Waist 34 (I have no butt left!)
Height Still 6 feet

I am very strict regrading my diet and try to keep it <20g carbs a day. I also do intermittent fasting and eat 1 meal a day. The 83 lb weight loss was unexpected as I had thought I started at 235 when in reality I weighed in at 260. A few interesting things I noticed are my shoes are way too loose and so is my hat. Also, most of my skin tags have disappeared. One’s body stores fat in the oddest places

I’m approaching 70 and I often think of what baseball legend Mickey Mantle said in his final days, “If I knew I was going to live this long I would’ve taken better care of myself.” Too soon old too late smart.

Oh, I also had a cardio Scan done (CAC Test). They told me there were no issues and come back in 5 years for a follow up. To add to my weekend health roundup I had a colonoscopy done today and got a clean bill of health and told to come back in 5 years.

What a year it has been. Remember, these stats are mine and YMMV. KCKO

(Alex) #2

great story, bill. thank you for sharing. and congratulations on the amazing success you’ve had with keto!

(Bill Pletke) #3

Honestly, there were the usual fits and starts, but I was encouraged by the stories others related on this forum. Without their knowing it, they sustained me in my darkest KETO journey moments. Thanks to everyone.

Bill

(Amy Ramadan) #4

So happy for you!! What a great story!! You must feel like a new man!! Thanks for sharing a truly inspiring story and I wish you the best of luck with everything!!

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #5

What a great story! Thank you for sharing and thank you for your service

(Janelle) #6

Congrats! That’s interesting about the skin tags. I have them around my neck. My obesity doc even checked for them and said they can be a sign of insulin resistance. If mine disappear, just another bonus of sticking to LCHF.

(Glenda) #7

Those are great improvements! Congratulations! KCKO!

Most of my skin tags have disappeared since I’ve been doing keto and various forms of fasting. It’s probably a combination of the improved insulin sensitivity and autophagy.

God bless that VA doctor! You tell her she’s got a whole forum cheering her on.
Great testimony, Bill! Thanks for sharing it. :+1:

Now, that’s what I call a story! I’m so glad you found someone brave enough to guide you in the right direction. Sounds like you have some good healthy years ahead of you.

(Bill Pletke) #11

I was thrilled with my new doc. I found a doctor who is a healer not a pill pusher. Unfortunately, she decided to work only part time in order to spend more time with her kids. I hope the next doc is ok. Not that it really matters. I’m Keto for the long haul.

Congratulations Bill. That’s some sweet sweet success you’ve had there in all aspects!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

Bill your progress is inspiring. Great progress with T2D improvement. I think of special not are your liver enzymes. Wow.

(Wendy) #15

Really inspiring Bill! What an awesome happinstance that you came across that doctor! She probably saved your life!
So happy for you!

(Ellen) #16

Amazing Bill! And so glad you found a Dr that “didn’t” recommend keto :wink:

(CharleyD) #17

Fantastic results! I’d say she’s a keeper, but you’re right, you should KCKO.

(Jessica) #18

Wow, that’s awesome! You never know who is reading and learning from your story.

(Christopher James Hale) #20

I’m so happy for you Bill! My story is very similar except I went to a private doc. He said eat more, move less, yada yada yada. I honestly don’t know why but I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube and searched for “reversing type two diabetes“ and Dr. Sarah Halberg‘s TEDTalk popped up. That led me to losing 45 pounds in two months and lowering my A1c from 9.5 to 5.0.

I’m glad you found Keto and I found it and everybody on this forum for finding keto. However it makes me angry and sad that our government and the food and drug industries are pushing a completely different agenda through our doctors.

(Gloria Cairns) #21

Congratulations! And because part of me will always be 12 years old, I got an extra LOL at the “I have no butt left!” mention in your stats! :rofl:

(Randy) #22

Sorry your height numbers didn’t improve. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: