One year of KETO and the results are in

(Anne Brodie) #23

Now YOU are an inspiration yourself. I smiled and laughed all the way through your post. Just yesterday I tried on some shoes that had been too tight and I was going to see if I could bear them through a special work meeting. They were loose! Your story is both easy to relate to and motivating.

(Monique ) #24

I’m so happy for you and it’s great inspiration to keep me going!

(Bill Pletke) #25

Thanks for all of the great responses.

When I retired I became bored and broke so I decided to Drive a School Bus part time. About 80% of my fellow drivers are very obese. They all ask me them same question, “How did you do it?” I explain the basics of simple Keto to them. Their response is always the same, “I could never give up Carbs.” It makes me sad and angry. This year alone, 3 drivers (out 200+) have had strokes or heart attacks (1 fatal). It’s a slow form of suicide IMO.

However, one female driver decided to give it a go. She’s down 45 lbs so far and looks 20 years younger.

It’s very telling that my co-workers accept being obese and yet tell me I’m too skinny. I looked at pictures of my self in Vietnam when I was in my 20’s. I was skinny as a rail then and got fat later. Coincidently, my spiral into long term bad health and obesity began when the Dietary Guidelines changed 50 years ago. Today many people only see fat people around them and see that as normal.

Sorry for the long winded and gloomy post, however; one bright light is that very few of the kids I drive are obese. That wasn’t true 10 years ago. Maybe the message is sinking in slowly with younger parents.

(Alice L. Aman) #27

Made a type in my earlier post. Correction here:
FYI - Accordingi to Dr. Darren Schmidt (a long time proponent of Ketogenic diets) on youtube, he reported on his channel that on October 4, 2018, The American Diabetes Association came out with their annual update to their Diabetes management guidelines and for the first time ever, they have included on page 13 - only a single mention in the whole report) the low carb diet on their list of recommended diets along with Dash, vegan, vegetarian, and Mediterranean (I can’t remember if it was low carb high fat or just low carb.) That means that American doctors will be able to recommend low carb diet (at least according to Dr. Schmidt) without any fear of criticism from the AMA (etc.)

(Mary Nell Greer Burnette) #28

great story ~ my hubs is a vet but doesnt go to va- he has been T2 for 20+ yrs= at the beginning of the year was on 70 units of insulin and we cant afford it on medicare= SO long story short- we both follow doc. ken berry on youtube… in 6 weeks he was off all insulin and in 3 mo down 50 lb- me - down 45 lb in 7 mo - we are also OMAD (one meal a day) he is at goal wt. i am not yet- yes our shoes too big, clothes too big, etc but that is a great trade off for health !

(Mary Nell Greer Burnette) #29

yes, the ADA pushed oatmeal, fruit, wheat, breads- etc to my hubs and explained to just UP the insulin if his BS was high- They could be sued by every diabetic that ever went to them … we started KETO in March 2018 and he is off all insulin, just metformin 2x

(Bill Pletke) #30

I am heartened to hear about other folks taking charge of their own health and not relying solely on well meaning, but often nutritionally unaware doctors. Doctors always are important in any good health care plan, however, many have had little no training regarding nutritional advice since Med school and rely on “guidelines”.

The VA is hit or miss. I can’t fault the Eisenhower VA center in Leavenworth Kansas. Other than nutritional advice, they have been excellent in all of their services. The Kansas City Missouri VA on the other hand is overcrowded and overworked IMO.

Bill

(Bill Pletke) #31

The VA in my area accepts Medicare of course and other payments are scaled on a needs basis. The key to getting the most from your VA Center is picking the right one. I travel 50 miles to my VA and it is worth the time and expense. If your financials are such, they will also reimburse travel expenses. It’s worth making a visit and see if you can get financial assistance if your have a lower income. Just remember to pick the right VA Center.

Godspeed and thanks to all my brothers and sisters in arms who have given so much to our country.

Bill

(Wendy LaCroix) #32

This is great!! KCKO!

(Mary Nell Greer Burnette) #33

thank you !!

“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Romans 10:13

(Uta Stelson) #34

I have skin tags, too, mostly around my neck, but they’ve been shrinking since I’ve been doing keto.

(Catherine) #35

Thank you for sharing your story! I hope to inspire my parents with it! Congratulations!

(Ellen Ellis) #36

I find the same tdihing here at James Haley in Tampa, FL. Great care on everything except my weight and Glucose. Under current guidelines they don’t seem to be able to treat high glucose until it trips over to T2D when they can prescribe meds. I downloaded my lab report and discovered that my FG was 120 and I was labeled as “at risk for diabetes”. I haven’t even told my doctor that I am now on LCHF.

Kind of sad that the VA doctors still can’t recommend LCHF considering that just a couple of years ago the VA did a study comparing LCHF with LFHC plus meds and found the LCHF to be better. The study recommended that LCHF be used in treating overweight veterans.

(cat gilliland) #37

great progress on your blood sugar numbers.