One Week of "Normal" eating

(Robin) #1

So, I had an interesting experience when my husband and I decided to just eat “normal” for the week we were packing up and moving to a new house. A little background:

I have been keto on and off for over a year. I am type 2 diabetic, 250 lbs and have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). I struggle to maintain my keto lifestyle because of a food addiction and it is difficult to stay true for more than a month, but I tend to get right back on the bandwagon after a day or so.

Back to the point of this post. My husband and I moved recently and we both decided for convenience that we would eat a “normal” diet for this period of time. It was also the last week of school and as I am a teacher, that meant end of the year parties, cupcakes, soda and staff lunches. Moving and packing meant that we chowed down on fast food. I should have known better. Here is a list of all of the byproducts of my “normal” diet.

1. Migraines: I had forgotten that before Keto, I had 1-2 migraines a month. I had 2 in one week… while moving… and wrapping up student grades for the school year.
  2. Lower brain function: It took me much longer to finish my grading for the end of the year and it made making decisions about moving much more difficult.
  3. Cystic Acne: Yup. Lots of it. Gross.
  4. Cravings, Cravings, Cravings: I wanted ALL OF THE FOOD all of the time. It was awful. My husband even noticed how food didn’t fill him up like it normally did.
  5. Swelling: My wedding ring didn’t fit anymore, my shoes and pants were tight. Ugh.
  6. Lack of energy and motivation: I just didn’t want to get up and do anything anymore. I was soooooo tired.
  7. Grumpy: I became Mrs. Grumpy Pants all week long, snapping at friend and foe alike with equal ferocity.
  8. Eye Twitched: My old stress indicator appeared with a vengeance, my left eye twitched constantly.
  9. I didn’t ovulate: This may not seem big to anyone else, but for me, this was huge. I’ve been trying to get pregnant for the last 4 years and I FINALLY started ovulating while eating keto. And then with my “normal diet” I didn’t. GRRRRRRR.
  10. Depression Symptoms: Since I miscarried this past December, I have struggled with depression which has led me to seek help and start meditating, etc. My “Normal food” week brought feelings of depression incredibly deep, just like I saw after I lost my baby.
  11. I gained 9 lbs. True some of this is water weight, but not all of it.
  12. Oh, and I almost forgot… my Blood Glucose levels skyrocketed.

I learned a few incredibly valuable lessons. The key lesson that I brought away was to be grateful for the blessings that I have seen since embarking on my keto journey. I was mainly looking at my blood glucose monitor and the scale for affirmations that I was on the right track. I had forgotten about all of the other amazing benefits of getting rid of the carbs. Thanks @carl and @richard for the amazing help you have given me on my personal health journey.

Keep Calm and Keto On

Hope that all the stress settles soon & that you’re able to get back to keto & feel better soon. Good luck with trying to start a family, thinking of you :hugs:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

KETO is normal !!!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Maybe the quotes make it ironic?

(Cate) #5

Some oldies will say keto is normal as per some of the comments in this thread. I’m about 2 months on this journey and it’s amazing trying to explain to friends/family what I’m eating and not eating and the belief that eating fat is bad for you !! I have food allergies and since I’ve been eating keto have felt so much better right from week 2 after the ‘flu’… long may it continue.

(Chris) #6

jeez, just a weekend of a couple craft beers, possibly a little too much watermelon and strawberries topped off with some hidden carbs in store bought coleslaw makes me feel like death. a week might kill me