One of the few actually comparing two different IF routines

(Bob M) #1

The shortest one “won”, though a lot is not statistically significant:

(Bunny) #2

Wow they use those terms interchangeably?

I would hardly call that fasting?

When your hypothalamus is wired to three meals a day or more and your sedentary how much food do we think we need?

You have to burn through all that food just to use what you have on board (fat/glycogen/glucose) and get a little autophagy every now and then?

I remember when I was growing up in grade school I use to say to myself “we are eating again? I’m still digesting frigging breakfast?” …lol

Then you have floating stored energy even if your thin, then your wiring your hypothalamus to eat more food until your body goes into fat storage mode?

The “we are eating again?” Scenario would make me question things in my head and I would secretly think to myself “how can these people eat like this?” eventually I did exactly that?

If you are sedentary and all the food your eating cannot fit into a tennis ball (or even smaller), your eating too much?

You would never need to do a ketogenic diet if humans were as disciplined as my tennis ball analogy, but unfortunately they are not so they get diabetes eventually…because food is a social thing and we can make it look irresistible to keep you eating all the time…lol

Even on a high carb diet if you don’t eat 4 or 5 hours before you go to sleep, you go into ketosis while asleep and the reason for that might have to do with oxygen intake while sleeping because your blood PH gets more acidic and would make it harder to breath while conscious and standing with such a massive amount of ketones rushing in. Those ketones are either dietary fat or body fat being burned or oxidized while at rest BMR/EER/TEE/BEE etc. Not sure the same is true in a Diabetic?

(Troy) #3

Somewhat related
If not already posted

Some great talk about fasting🙂

(Alec) #4

That’s because there is little difference between an 18hr vs 20hr fast. If we want to see differences in fasting, why not compare an 18hr fast with a 42 hr one? Now that would be a far more valid comparison. And much more useful.

(Bunny) #5

I agree with that!

The more I think about it has any one ever died from not eating for three days? (being they are in good health and metabolically fit?)

5 days is the real pinnacle of fasting because you can have up to a pound of ketones (or a pound of fat?) in circulation, being oxidized by the brain, muscle etc. and that’s the estimated amount a day after day 5 hidden somewhere in the old vintage research…

(Doug) #6

:smile: Totally agree.

I found this hard to understand: The two fasting groups also had significant improvements in the Homeostatic Model Assessment of Insulin Resistance (HOMA-IR, a measure of insulin resistance) results, with a 29% improvement in the four-hour group and 12% improvement in the six-hour group. The difference between these groups was not significant, but they were both significantly better than the 3.5% worsening of HOMA-IR results in the control group.

Certainly, “improvement” is better than “worsening,” but the difference between 12% and 29% in this case is not significant?