One cup of coffee during the night shift. THIS IS VICTORY!

(April Harkness) #1

I worked at one job from 7-430p (supposed to be off at 3 but it’s nursing, my fellow nurses know getting off at the time you are supposed to is a rare day indeed!) Took train home, slept for a few, got up at 9pm to head to my weekend nursing assignment at 11pm. I may fast and now be primarily carnivore ,although hardcore purists will banish me to the pitts of hell for still drinking the juice from the coffee bean, but you know what? Don’t care. Hell will freeze over first before i give up coffee. Doesn’t mean I want to drink it by the gallon. So I willpower through and have reduced my coffee consumption during the day shift. Where it has NOT been reduced is during the night shift where I can drink up to 3-4 cups. Yesterday? 1 cup. 1 cup of coffee. I wasn’t even busy. in fact it was a quiet shift. Actually it is when my shifts are quiet, that is when my coffee consumption nears the 4th cup mark. But I drank about 1/2 cup of my coffee and was done. I didn’t need to finish it. Didn’t need the next 3 cups. This, my friends, is my NSV. Banishing sugar seemed so much easier than banishing coffee. and I truly love the taste. I love it black. Another night shift today. Hopefully I can get by again on just one cup. Ok, everyone… “good night!” or actually good afternoon. it’s 11:47 am and bedtime for me!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Many people drink coffee when fasting. I drink 3 to 4 cups a day and tea when fasting.

(Susan) #3

Congrats, April. I am just curious; though, since you drink it black anyway, why is it so important to you to eliminate coffee? I don’t drink it because it makes me feel sick and gives me really bad headaches, but I know many on here are serious coffee addicts, and I don’t think it seems to mess up Keto, so I was just wondering why you want to get rid of it?

(April Harkness) #4

bc teeth whitening is expensive!

(Susan) #5

Okay! I was just wondering the reason, but makes sense =). I love green tea and herbal teas myself.

(April Harkness) #6

not a fan of tea. I wish I was

(Susan) #7

I am not a fan of normal tea, but the green and herbal I like. I hope you do well with your no coffee goal =). I am sure you will since you are amazing at all the things you set out to do =).

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

I drink it with a straw for that very reason. I don’t care how dumb I look. Teeth don’t last forever and I’m trying to keep them bright for as long as possible. Good job not having 4 cups.

(April Harkness) #9

oh no… I will never do a “no coffee goal”. I love coffee way too much. I just want to limit my consumption to just 2-3 cups! And those cups are BIIIG!

(Susan) #10

Oh okay =). Maybe you could use PetaMarie’s idea, and use a straw to protect your teeth =).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #11

My oldest is using a straw with tea (no coffee for her) to protect her teeth. She started with a steel straw but they can be dangerous of you trip so she is using a silicone straw now. Actually both of my girls are. The other one does drink coffee through a straw.

(Laura Victor) #12

I’ve noticed this in myself as well… I was drinking 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, and then caffeinating again (1-2 cups) in the afternoon on the regular in the past, just to keep myself going. And now I don’t feel any desire for that afternoon coffee anymore. And then stopping at 2 cups in the morning. It was really wierd when I realized what was happening. Thank you for confirming this is actually a thing that happens when you’re on keto.

(Kathryn) #13

Just an idea to try, if you are interested in white teeth? I use coconut oil and “oil-pull” (basically swish it around in my mouth for about 5 minutes.) This whitens my teeth better than any toothpaste ever has. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #14

Wow, does this work, that is awesome. You have finally given me a use for the coconut oil I have and cannot ingest as it was causing me severe cramps and constipation, thanks!