Omad question

(Sharon) #1

Good evening everyone, I’m almost 9 weeks into keto, and finally have figured out some of the lingo here. Lol. when I found out what omad and the fasting was, come to find out this is what I’ve been doing for years. Only with all the wrong food. And lots of snacks after dinner. I’m 55 and have eaten just the one meal a day for the last 35 years. Keto has been the only thing that has helped me loose 20 so far. So here’s my question, does anyone think that fasting for more than 24 hours would help me, I’m very close to my desired weight but am afraid of slowing my metabolism down. So what do u think?

(Candy Lind) #2

Abolutely it will help, especially in the autophagy department (search that in the forum!)

If you read up in the fasting subforum, or read Dr Jason Fung’s book “The Obesity Code,” you’ll find that IF and EF will not cause a significant lowering of your metabolic rate. This forum is a great source of support for starting to exercise your “fasting muscle.” You can start slow and build up, and there is a monthly “Zorn Fast” (named for @Brenda Zorn, who works for Dr Fung’s company, IDM) where people do a fast from Thursday through Sunday (or shorter, or longer, based on needs/wants) every third weekend of the month. It’s wonderful to learn to fast with a great support group. :+1:

(Sharon) #3

Thanks candy, I will check it out😊

(Candy Lind) #4

(OH, and BTW, you are in “anonymous” mode, where people can’t see your profile name, just a big string of alpha-numerics. If you noticed but don’t know how to fix it, GO HERE.

Oh thanks, I didn’t see that, learning this stuff everyday. Lol.

(Bob M) #6

You know, Fung says that, but I was fasting so much that it became impossible for me to fast any more. I was getting extremely cold hands and subsequently body, and I could barely last 22 hours.

So, I think Dr. Fung is wrong in this case. I think you can fast too much, which causes a decrease in your basal metabolism.

I plan on restarting fasting in maybe 1-2 more weeks (been off for several). I’ll start with 36 hours to see how that goes.

(CharleyD) #7

If you’re close to your goal weight, and still want to do OMAD, I’d make sure that your one meal is a big one! Don’t skimp.

We’re designed to feast and fast, remember.

(Candy Lind) #8

When you are near goal weight, you can take some fat to counteract the cold extremities without losing the benefits of fasting. And if you can last 24 hours, you’ve kicked in autophagy, so don’t go farther unless you feel good.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I too get extremely cold hands. Thanks again

(Blessed with butter ) #10

you are always so helpful! Have a great day!